Why do so many threads go off topic?

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2020, 8:23 am

Pieplup wrote:
It's kind fo inevitable that after a few pages the topic starts to shift gradually but that's not really what you are talking about. I'm sure autism has also a factor as autistic peope in eneral tend to go on side tangents and not be off-topic.

It is virtually a given.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 2:33 am

Pieplup wrote:
It's kind fo inevitable that after a few pages the topic starts to shift gradually but that's not really what you are talking about. I'm sure autism has also a factor as autistic peope in eneral tend to go on side tangents and not be off-topic.

I think its despite autism, not because of it. In real offline life NTs will chitchat, and the topic of conversation migrates from topic to topic to topic. If anything the autistic tendency is to stick with the same one topic for a long time. But thats in a one on one conversation. With several folks on an online thread, each person with a different agenda, even an autistic crowd will cause a thread to have "mission creep".

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 3:42 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Pieplup wrote:

I think its despite autism, not because of it. In real offline life NTs will chitchat, and the topic of conversation migrates from topic to topic to topic. If anything the autistic tendency is to stick with the same one topic for a long time. But thats in a one on one conversation. With several folks on an online thread, each person with a different agenda, even an autistic crowd will cause a thread to have "mission creep".

This so true. When I am chatting with my NT friends I love floating from topic to topic, for me it is associative, entertaining, back and forth, vibrant, dynamic, not sequential, factual, practical. Something is mentioned and an incident or anecdote comes to mind and the conversation shifts.
Now, with my autistic friends it is a completely different scenario. When an ASD friend begins talking I can prepare popcorn and listen to a lengthy monologue and if, in my N.T way, thinking this is a conversation right? I am going to relate to what was said and interject, I get my head bitten off for interrupting. This leads me to believe that my ASD friends have no idea that they are "lecturing," that a successful NT conversation is interactive, being aware of the other person's level of discomfort, interest, mood. I don't have conversations with my ASD friends. They talk for a looooong time about themselves. Then I talk about myself a little and they listen. They are interested to know but don't seem to be able to ask me questions about me. They do care a great deal but it's always a monologue and not a conversation so much. I am okay with that usually.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 4:08 am

Teach51 wrote:

This leads me to believe that my ASD friends have no idea that they are "lecturing," that a successful NT conversation is interactive, being aware of the other person's level of discomfort, interest, mood. I don't have conversations with my ASD friends. They talk for a looooong time about themselves. Then I talk about myself a little and they listen. They are interested to know but don't seem to be able to ask me questions about me. They do care a great deal but it's always a monologue and not a conversation so much. I am okay with that usually.

This sounds like me. I talk and talk and talk, but then I remember what my Mum says when she stops me and says "You are supposed to let the other person talk about what they want to talk about" and I then accidently said "But Mum. I don't know anything about horses" (The neighbour we were with keeps horses. She is also a brain surgeon... Oops! Haha! :lol: ).

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 4:12 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Teach51 wrote:

This leads me to believe that my ASD friends have no idea that they are "lecturing," that a successful NT conversation is interactive, being aware of the other person's level of discomfort, interest, mood. I don't have conversations with my ASD friends. They talk for a looooong time about themselves. Then I talk about myself a little and they listen. They are interested to know but don't seem to be able to ask me questions about me. They do care a great deal but it's always a monologue and not a conversation so much. I am okay with that usually.

This sounds like me. I talk and talk and talk, but then I remember what my Mum says when she stops me and says "You are supposed to let the other person talk about what they want to talk about" and I then accidently said "But Mum. I don't know anything about horses" (The neighbour we were with keeps horses. She is also a brain surgeon... Oops! Haha! :lol: ).

Sounds like an interesting
neighbour :D And here we are, Teach and MG merrily skipping together off topic............. :D

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 4:32 am

Hahaha. Yes. She is an interesting neighbour. When she qualified she was the first woman brainsurgeon and also the youngest ever brain surgeon they had ever had. Her husband also works in the medical field being head of the department who sets bones. (I can't remember the technical name for his department). They met due to their jobs. They are both nice people and have three lovely children.

Despite they live at the top of the lane I don't see them much as we all are there for each other if needed, but we all give each other space. It is good living here like that where each house has a field or two between the next house or farm.

I have realized something. This is a thread drift. Oops! Hahaha!

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 12:40 pm

Sometimes it it entirely unintentional...

Original post is about subject X
1st reply is about subject X, and also involves subject Y in connection to subject X
2nd reply is about subject Y, and also involves subject Z in connection to subject Y
3rd reply is about subject Z

...thread is now derailed, as subject Z has no direct connection to subject X.

Speaking of Z, have any of you seen Z Nation or World War Z?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 6:19 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Sometimes it it entirely unintentional...

Original post is about subject X
1st reply is about subject X, and also involves subject Y in connection to subject X
2nd reply is about subject Y, and also involves subject Z in connection to subject Y
3rd reply is about subject Z

...thread is now derailed, as subject Z has no direct connection to subject X.

Speaking of Z, have any of you seen Z Nation or World War Z?

Does anybody remember the New wave band Fischer-Z?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman