Thread derailment! Sound the alarms! Danger!

Page 7 of 10 [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 5:12 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
There is no valid reason to derail a thread when it is easier to start a separate thread on a new subject.

It makes it extremely difficult to talk about complex topics in depth when that happens. This is less of an issue in threads which are more lighthearted and fun.

Agreed. To have in-depth discussion, it is necessary to stay basically on-topic with, at most, minor, short-lived digressions.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 7:26 am

Too many people want to have political discussions in a,vacuum, I guess, analyzing one symptom of the problem. Anybody wishing to expand the conversation is derailing the thread. Such rigid thinking.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 9:54 am

To turn an originally apolitical discussion into a political propagandist’s wet-dream is both childish and trollish.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 10:26 am

VegetableMan wrote:
I think at the heart of this issue is a poltical climate that prohibits expanding the conservation to how we actually got here.

Is there some reason why you can't start a thread of your own, devoted to your views on "how we actually got here"?

VegetableMan wrote:
It is an unfortunate component of partisan politics because those in power don't want the dots connected. They just want keep people divided and raging at one side or another rather than the whole machine.

Sounds like a very interesting question to discuss. Please start a thread where we can discuss it.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 10:30 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Too many people want to have political discussions in a,vacuum, I guess, analyzing one symptom of the problem. Anybody wishing to expand the conversation is derailing the thread. Such rigid thinking.

I think both kinds of discussion can be worthwhile: highly focused discussions and more wide-ranging ones. If you would like to have more wide-ranging discussions, why not start your own threads devoted to same?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 10:48 am

Starting one’s own thread requires effort and originality. Coming up with a topic that has not already been covered is difficult (but it can be done). It is much easier to hijack a thread -- one that has already attracted participation -- with a “hot-button” topic, and then engage in goalpost-shifting, circular arguments, and other schoolyard tactics to keep the thread from ever going back to the original topic.

And it is always the same few people who do it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 10:52 am

Certain individuals often state a controversial, politicized opinion that will obviously start an argument and completely derail the thread, which seems to be the goal.

If they legitimately want to argue about that topic, they should start a thread on it instead of derailing someone else’s discussion.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 11:17 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Certain individuals often state a controversial, politicized opinion that will obviously start an argument and completely derail the thread, which seems to be the goal.
Obvious trolls are obvious.
Twilightprincess wrote:
If they legitimately want to argue about that topic, they should start a thread on it instead of derailing someone else’s discussion.
Agreed. If they put even half as much effort into starting their own threads instead of derailing others, then they might learn what it is like to be both admired and respected.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 11:37 am

I don't understand any of the arguments being lobbed at me during the last few posts. I just don't understand the mindset. It just doesn't compute.

I guess I'm done here.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 1:28 am

VegetableMan wrote:
I don't understand any of the arguments being lobbed at me during the last few posts. I just don't understand the mindset. It just doesn't compute.

I guess I'm done here.

In my two most recent posts to you, I didn't "lob arguments" at you; I made a request and asked to a question.

I requested that you start a thread devoted to your own views of how things work.

Then I asked why you DON'T start a thread of your own on that topic.

(It's possible I missed such a thread of yours. If there is one, please post a link to it.)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 6:58 am

traven wrote:
8O why do you ask the op to start a thread of his own in his thread of his own

Because the thread I asked him to start is on a political topic and belongs in PPR, whereas this current thread is a meta-discussion here in "WrongPlanet.net discussion."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 8:31 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
traven wrote:
8O why do you ask the op to start a thread of his own in his thread of his own
Because the thread I asked him to start is on a political topic and belongs in PPR, whereas this current thread is a meta-discussion here in "WrongPlanet.net discussion."
I will add that the whole point of a derailment is to take over the vitality of a popular thread to initiate and propagate a discussion on a topic that would not be as vital if it had to propagate on its own.

I hope everyone else now sees derailments are like viruses that take over the vitality of their hosts to initiate and propagate diseases that would not be as vital if they had to propagate on their own.

Thread derailments are forum equivalents of viral diseases.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 10:29 am

I'm a big believer in moderating my own threads. If I make a thread then it's up to me to take care of it.

Personally I don't mind if a person wants to take it in a different direction so long as they're not being abusive towards other members.

I enjoy how topics can grow out of topics.

This has to be something that happens naturally though and with some kind of coherence otherwise it is probably a better idea to just start a whole new conversation.

But I do get how a thread can be seen by one group to be maliciously derailed and by another group to have some kind of connection to the topic.

I've done it myself in the past. For me it was sometimes for my own amusement and other times because I had responded to a comment that had been made much earlier in the thread and it just threw the whole conversation into disarray. I have been called a troll for this. So what!

I don't think anyone here is squeaky clean to be honest.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 10:50 am

Nope....not squeaky clean.....I believe it depends on the thread.

If somebody is really stuck on "keeping to topic," I'll keep it to topic. Many threads become entertaining, though, when they diverge from the topic.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 11:22 am

babybird wrote:

In my short time here, I've seen lots of squeaky clean users. Having said that, the majority of posters in PP&R are not squeaky clean, and I tar them all with the same brush. That in itself is not a bad thing, as I know where I stand with such posters.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 4:44 pm

babybird wrote:
I'm a big believer in moderating my own threads. If I make a thread then it's up to me to take care of it.

Personally I don't mind if a person wants to take it in a different direction so long as they're not being abusive towards other members.

I enjoy how topics can grow out of topics.

This has to be something that happens naturally though and with some kind of coherence otherwise it is probably a better idea to just start a whole new conversation.

But I do get how a thread can be seen by one group to be maliciously derailed and by another group to have some kind of connection to the topic.

I've done it myself in the past. For me it was sometimes for my own amusement and other times because I had responded to a comment that had been made much earlier in the thread and it just threw the whole conversation into disarray. I have been called a troll for this. So what!

I got a lecture from a mod for derailing a thread (or rather replying to an off-topic post). The mod was like "you don't like it when people derail your threads" and all that. No, I don't like it, but we all derail threads sometimes, and I do try not to and I will understand if the OP politely told me to stay on topic.