Page 4 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

13 Dec 2007, 10:28 pm

Whitewave wrote:
I wonder why you think I don't know that already? Was there something I said that made you think that? You seem to have ignored every single thing I said in acknowledgment to those same facts and exaggerated the one extremely mild and gentle comment about the possibility of something different. And you seem to be accusing me of something that I'm actually guilty of the opposite of. :huh:

And why make it easy for me to believe you are willing to make the absurd judgment that it's okay to delete accounts of folks who talk about poop or sex, but not even attempt a loving and patient redirect for a conversation about hate. And after all the effort it took to even bring this up, and getting encouragement from several other members to go ahead and talk about it, how is it you're willing to authoritatively burn all that down? Why confirm my fears after several others have gone to the trouble to show that they want to be exceptions to it? What is bothering you? :cry:

Whoa! You're very mistaken about my intentions.

Honestly, I find that your writing style is unusually difficult for me to follow. If you feel I've misunderstood your complaint, perhaps you could condense it for me? What exactly (succinctly) are you requesting?

KBABZ, regarding the disclaimer... why? I don't interpret the instances in which I've seen members make generalizations about NTs as hate speech. Usually it just seems like the sort of exaggeration that is inherent to the speech of a young person who is upset. Each time I've happened across a thread that seemed truly hateful, I also found that a mod had already intervened.

So far I'm still not seeing anything that requires fixing, on this subject. Some concrete examples would probably help illustrate the point better, so if people have seen excessive NT-bashing, go ahead and PM me the links.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

13 Dec 2007, 11:12 pm

I would agree that there's a distinct difference between a rant and hate speech.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 11:16 pm

many rants can be taken as hate speeches

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

13 Dec 2007, 11:42 pm

Kilroy wrote:
many rants can be taken as hate speeches

True. I definitely want a better idea of how people feel about various statements.

At present I think generally we try to err on the side of letting the person have a rant, when there's some ambiguity.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 4:38 am

Yeah, rants are okay but hate speech is actually illegal. I have seen what happened when hate speech about a racial minority was allowed on a local radio station some years ago. It incited some people to go and throw molotov cocktails at a group of the minority people who were living under a bridge.

I think hate speech is therefore very dangerous and words that are so emotive do galvanise unstable people into acts of assault and even murder sometimes.

I realise it is difficult at times to draw the line between a rant and full blown hate speech but I think it is always better to err on the side of caution. We have too much hate in the world already. If a person has so much anger inside themselves that they want to indulge in hate speech, they probably need professional help.

The sad thing is, they frequently cannot get the help they need and I fully agree that CBT is quite ineffective for people with PTSD symptoms in most cases.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 5:22 am

The thing is, how to make a distinction between a rant and hate speech? as that happened before, some might see a rant as hate speech and others might see it as just a rant, as we are not the same so not all of us take things in the same way, but then, the mods are the ones who should make better judgments after reviewing carefully claimed posts to see if rules are really broken.

If some people are not happy with some posts they should report to mods or here respectfully without causing more trouble, if there actually is one, if someone tries to spam a thread or a forum just for not liking certain posts, that should not be allowed.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 6:34 am

It should be put into the forum rules in that case so that people know where they stand. Also, clear definitions of what "spamming" and "trolling" are should be included.

It also helps to clarify with the person themselves what they meant rather than automatically assume they are spamming.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 6:45 am

Spam just takes up room. Trolling is meant to annoy. At least that's how I see it.

In a way
We all go there

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 6:48 am

I certainly didn't spam. If I were spamming, I say something like "spam spam spammity spam spam spam".

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 6:57 am

Well, I know nothing of Pan getting accused of spamming, so I'll leave it for others to discuss.

In a way
We all go there

Whitewave
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2007, 11:01 am

Hi.

Thank you all for responding. I really want to be able to attend to that misunderstanding that happened here, but I have a work day in front of me. I just want you to know it's important to me.

I wonder if it is possible to create code just for this site. If not, act-as-if and just do:

[rant]
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Y'know I really think people should have to go to Parenting school and get a degree and then a license before they're allowed to procreate. And the Parenting team (however many and whichever genders) should swear before a Judge - seperately from the Marriage vows - that they will direct their actions towards what is best for the child instead of just themselves, and then itemize what those actions are and sign a fancy document so that there's NO FREAKIN' MISUNDERSTANDINGS OR ASSUMPTIONS about starting crap in divorce court and stupid crap like that. Then they should have their kids tested for emotional health twice a year until they leave home - like an eye test at the Department of Motor Vehicles - and adjustments should be required by a certain date in order to receive a new license or extension. I think Parents should go to jail - YES, GO TO JAIL! - for failing their children because this constitutes a threat to the entire society! This will not end crime or make everything happy and nice, but it will prolly take care of about 80% of it. Unfortunately, until the learning curve comes around, it will prolly create the same 80% that it prevented in Legal expenses for tax payers.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
[/rant]

Maybe there are easier ways. This is just a cute little half-joking suggestion, not a real one. Rage is usually spontaneous and subjective. It's hard to see it as an element of conversation among many when you're in it.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 11:51 am

alex wrote:
Her third question is not permitted because the wrongplanet rules clearly state that discussion of excretory function is prohibited.

So who is supposed to ask? Most people not on the spectrum would not understand these things or if they did would give NT answers this is supposed to ab a support site. It's not like she leaves much up to the imagination in the heading so avoid it I find many of the other posts offensive myself but would not go as far as changing the rules to disallow them based on my sensitivities on the subject. Even if she gets help with it or helps someone else feel that they are not alone it is worth it.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

14 Dec 2007, 1:57 pm

Whitewave wrote:
Hi.

Thank you all for responding. I really want to be able to attend to that misunderstanding that happened here, but I have a work day in front of me. I just want you to know it's important to me.

I'm sorry if my response made you feel unwelcome. I hope to be able to understand better where you're coming from.

14 Dec 2007, 3:20 pm

Ana54 wrote:
alex wrote:
Her third question is not permitted because the wrongplanet rules clearly state that discussion of excretory function is prohibited.

Then what about Graelwyn's "Public pooping" thread and the 20 or so of us that replied to it with our own gross stories, and then that other thread in Members-Only, "What is it about the bathroom..."

Vomit is gross. :P Well, it depends on what you're vomiting.

yep, I'm being discriminated. Proven right again.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

14 Dec 2007, 3:26 pm

Discriminated? I think it's more likely the fact that the site goes through times of different approaches to moderation. For a while Alex wasn't able to be present so often and give his take on what he wanted the mods to do.

14 Dec 2007, 3:33 pm

Yeah I feel that way because other members have posted bodily function topics like grael did and that topic was never removed. I seen topics about other fetishes posted by people so I have posted my own and him not liking it and wanting it removed, I feel discriminated. I've been fighting for my rights.