Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Could moderation by the original poster be a good idea in some threads or a dedicated forum?
Poll ended at 23 Jan 2009, 6:34 pm
OP moderation is a daft idea 62%  62%  [ 13 ]
OP moderation in clearly marked threads would be welcome 33%  33%  [ 7 ]
OP moderation in a dedicated forum would be welcome 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 21

t0
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 11:02 am

Greyhound wrote:
It won't be implemented because it can't be implemented. I don't think the forum's settings will allow it.

You're wrong. I already wrote the implementation details in my earlier post. It requires minor changes to the database and the forum code. You could argue that there is additional overhead involved if the software were to be upgraded as you might run into problems with an incompatible database and with hacked script files. But to say it can't is just wrong.

I think it's more likely that there is concern about possbile abuse when giving this kind of power to posters. PPR might turn into completely one-sided threads if the OP marks all opposing viewpoints as OT. Some controversial posters could get marked OT on all threads just because of their reputation. You might never see another post from Fnord ever again...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 11:02 am

Javid wrote:
Free crap is still crap.

If you think Alex's website is crap, Then why do you stick around?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 2:30 pm

Javid wrote:
thanks for not giving us something we want, and on christmas too

I don't see the point on having OP moderated threads, although, in the haven forum that wouldn't sound that bad due to the nature of it, but the rest, I would say no. It just implies potential censorship and certainly something like that would not work in the PPR forum.

An ignore button would be nice though.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 10:44 pm

Wow. That's a terrible idea. It would completely get out of control. Why should people who are not mods have the right to delete other peoples posts? It would cause way more problems then it would solve.

28 Dec 2008, 12:55 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
Wow. That's a terrible idea. It would completely get out of control. Why should people who are not mods have the right to delete other peoples posts? It would cause way more problems then it would solve.

I agree. It's like throwing a tantrum because you didn't like what someone said to you. It's like controlling what they say and controlling how they express themselves.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 5:57 pm

greenblue wrote:
An ignore button would be nice though.

There already is an ignore function, if you read the FAQ. You have to be using a Mozilla (Firefox or Seamonkey) browser to use it, though.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 6:22 pm

Gromit wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The idea is utterly daft, as the BLOGS we're provided already serve this purpose.

I don't understand. The purpose of my suggestion is to give someone who starts a thread the option of keeping that thread on topic. How do blogs do that?

Bloggers have the option of deleting any responses to their blog. If you don't like what someone has to say about your thoughts; if someone rants, insults you or is otherwise abusive; or if they simple post a response that is off-topic or nonsensical; you can delete it.

It is a feature that easily makes it look as if all of the responses to your blogs are in agreement with you, which is what I think an "OP Moderated" thread would become - an outrageous OP, followed by nothing but agreement and praise - which is the perfect propaganda tool, as any dictatorial tyrant knows.

The only way to have everyone agree with you is to eliminate all those who disagree first.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

30 Dec 2008, 6:50 pm

I don't delete comments for my blogs unless they are abusive. They have a right to disagree with my point of view or opinions, etc. but just as long as they are civil about it, not being abusive.

Of course I don't do blogs here. I do them on myspace.

alex
Developer
Developer

01 Jan 2009, 1:49 pm

Greyhound wrote:
It won't be implemented because it can't be implemented. I don't think the forum's settings will allow it.

it won't be implemented because it isn't fair to give any random person the ability to delete any thread they don't like in a thread they started. especially when considering the time members spend writing their responses.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 12:00 pm

(* BUMPED *)

Alex, can you include your above post in the WP rules as part of a policy statement?

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 3:37 pm

Its still a great site, I think having OP moderation defeats the purpose of people discussing topics. If the OP can't deal with other peoples point of view, whats to stop them from deleting a members post. They can't have everyone being a mod, and its rather childish expecting a privately run website to give up its right to run as it see's fit. We may not agree with how this site is run on occasion, but its free, provides a service, and is the most popular aspie site on the web. Heres a suggestion, try making your own forum, they are free, then give the mod keys to everyone, and let the fun begin.