Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 8:37 am

Hi guys I'm new here. :D I need some help, I'm in college studying two majors, and there's a lot of work to do. The problem is - I can't bring myself to stop[i] researching about my obssessive interests!! Instead of studying I'm learning about those "useless" facts but I don't know how to stop. Any tips here?? I feel like I'm not showing them all the intelligence and potential I have since I don't study or do the work.
Also when there's an exam I feel so anxious I can't study. :( Please help

StatsNerd
Raven
Raven

17 Jan 2014, 8:53 am

Time management software helps me stay on track when I have to do something. I highly recommend Pomodoro. The gist is, you spend 20 minutes doing something productive, then you physically walk away for five minutes. Do it again. And again. After the third set, you get an unlimited break. It is very hard to stop, especially if you get into a groove of doing something! But it helps conserve mental resources. It's also nice to actually see when you can get a break from doing something, as opposed to feeling like you have to write a paper for the next four hours straight.

Provided it's suitable for academia/the public, try to work your special interest into your academic work. If you've got a paper to write for English class, write it on your special interest. Speech class? Give an introductory talk about your special interest. Psychology class? The effects of the interaction of your special interest and, oh, adolescents. And so on.

Get a book related to your major and read it for fun. I got a few books related to my Master's thesis, and once I got into them, almost couldn't put them down - I'd forgotten how to enjoy it.

Yayoi
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jan 2014, 9:14 am

Could there possibly be electives you could take within your degree that match up with your personal interests? If not, why did you pick the degree if it isn't as enjoyable as what you do in your spare time? Is your interest something that just couldn't be applied to any area of study?

If it were me, I'd change majors to something you actually want to study. For example, if you're into animals, transfer into a course in veterinary science; if you're into cinema, transfer into a digital media or scriptwriting course. Bear in mind, though, that different courses have different requirements to get in, and it's easier to get into something that has lower standards than what you're studying now, like transferring from law to the arts.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 2:35 pm

Just major in your special interest subject. Problem solved.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 7:35 am

Thanks for all the replies :)

StatsNerd wrote:
Time management software helps me stay on track when I have to do something. I highly recommend Pomodoro. The gist is, you spend 20 minutes doing something productive, then you physically walk away for five minutes. Do it again. And again. After the third set, you get an unlimited break. It is very hard to stop, especially if you get into a groove of doing something! But it helps conserve mental resources. It's also nice to actually see when you can get a break from doing something, as opposed to feeling like you have to write a paper for the next four hours straight.

Wow I researched this Pomodoro technique and it sounds like miracle! Definitely going to try it out. Thanks a lot.

Yayoi wrote:
If it were me, I'd change majors to something you actually want to study.

Willard wrote:
Just major in your special interest subject. Problem solved.

I wish it was that simple. My special interest is something not covered by any major, like it's a bit of psychology, sociology, anthropology, languages, international affairs, history, geography but is neither of this. Basically I like to compare behaviours, ideologies and implicit attitudes in a cultural aspect, but I can't find any major that deals with it specifically and can't imagine why would someone want to hire someone with this hability (not useful, just curious). Not sure what to do. That's when I envy those obssessed about airplanes or so :lol: That's why I want to manage time, anxiety and obssessions better in a major I'm not obssessed about - don't want to end up unemployed.