Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 9:38 am

I was on Facebook yesterday and saw that my 2nd cousin just got a learners permit. Which ticks me off because I am 2 YEARS OLDER :evil:

I ask my grandmother why I can't take a learners test (I previously took an online practice test and got a perfect score), and she lists a plethora of reasons: I'm immature (am so not! ), its way too expensive, she would have to add me to her insurance and that's too expensive; and, most recently, because I have Aspergers.

Many of my classmates already drive, and I feel humiliated because I don't even have a learners permit. :sad:

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 12:05 pm

AS is not a legitimate reason to keep you from anything. I didn't start driving until a year or more after a lot of my friends, because I simply didn't have an interest in it until I had places I needed to get to when everyone else was busy and I saw a car I really liked. Now I've been driving for nearly 40 years and my record is spotless. Nothing about Asperger Syndrome should keep you from being able to drive just like anybody else and better than most.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 3:11 pm

You might have to save up pay for your own lessons, bear in mind that driving lessons are expensive.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 3:28 pm

My school forced me to get into driving (which was ok with me). It was either you take drivers ed through them or take it with a private company for the semester. Your school doesn't do this?

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 5:37 pm

Soccer22 wrote:
My school forced me to get into driving (which was ok with me). It was either you take drivers ed through them or take it with a private company for the semester. Your school doesn't do this?

:lol: My school doesn't STOP kids from smoking in the bathrooms or leaving school to get snacks from the gas station across the street. It will be the day when my school makes someone START something

Woodpecker wrote:
You might have to save up pay for your own lessons, bear in mind that driving lessons are expensive.

Unfortunately, I am unemployed

Billw1628
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Feb 2014, 7:59 pm

and another thing is that people with autism might have some disadvantages in driving comparing to NT's. That said, with the right driving instructor, definitely I think you can learn how to drive, given that you don't have any other factors that might make it hard for you to drive.

anarchybovine
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2014, 9:33 pm

I'll be 21 in May, and I still don't have my license. The reason: I'm not interested. I live in Milwaukee most of the year, and it has a great public transportation system. My mandatory fees include a bus pass. Plus, keeping a car on campus/East Side is expensive and a burden. I also do not have time to learn how to drive, and I don't know anybody in Milwaukee who is willing to teach me to drive.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 9:52 am

Asperger96 wrote:
Soccer22 wrote:

:lol: My school doesn't STOP kids from smoking in the bathrooms or leaving school to get snacks from the gas station across the street. It will be the day when my school makes someone START something

Ugh your school sounds awful! I hope you can learn to drive soon! My only advice when you do, is to make sure you like your instructor. I had this extremely intimidating man who use to be in the air force and was a firefighter and he was way too intense! I was so scared by him. He says he has a "no nonsense approach", and we all know what that means... :( I should've switched instructors but I wasn't brave enough.

cassidyeden
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Feb 2014, 9:32 pm

I don't drive either. I got into a car accident a few months ago. It hindered any chance of me driving again.:( The accident was really bad and almost fatal. I'm fine, but ever since then, my parents won't let me in the driver's seat again. I'm 20 years old and still don't drive. I have a learner's permit, but not a driver's license. I live in a small town in Mississippi called Houlka where there's NO public transportation so its pretty difficult. There's hardly any resources in my area. I live way out in the country in the middle of nowhere so far from everything.:( I don't know what to do. So, I'm on the same boat as you.:(

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 7:58 am

the money is a legitimate concern, drivers ed isn't cheap, and maturity is something i cannot judge on.

i do know however that AS is no reason to not drive; i have had mi licence for 7 years and never even made a scratch.
yes, driving trough a busy city is exhausting, but since i know that and take precautions, there is no reason to not drive there...

anarchybovine
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2014, 1:23 pm

Soccer22 wrote:

At least your school offered Driver's Ed. I had to take Driver's Ed through a private company and it was not cheap, being $360.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 9:56 pm

Soccer22 wrote:
Asperger96 wrote:
Soccer22 wrote:

Ugh your school sounds awful! I hope you can learn to drive soon! My only advice when you do, is to make sure you like your instructor. I had this extremely intimidating man who use to be in the air force and was a firefighter and he was way too intense! I was so scared by him. He says he has a "no nonsense approach", and we all know what that means... :( I should've switched instructors but I wasn't brave enough.

My driving instructor was nice enough to let me play my own music in the car, so we would just be cruising down the highway blasting the Beastie Boys and such. Oh, and the final lesson she gave me was how to get food from the drive thru. We went to Subway to eat lunch! :D

krankes_hirn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2014, 11:22 pm

I think I read once aspies have problems with their dimensional perceptions, I know I do. But that isn't a reason to keep you form driving. First of all because it is not an impairment, I am able to judge distances up to certain degree, I'm just not that good at it. That has made me a very cautious driver. I usually look for big parking spots and I am extra mindful of cars around me. I have had no accidents so far.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 7:14 am

Asperger96 wrote:
Soccer22 wrote:

Woodpecker wrote:

Enjoy that you do not live in Europe, especially in Poland. We have a very strict driving courses, and you must have at least 18 years old, from what I know it only in Europe, only the UK can make driving at 17.

I do not have a license, and not need it, because I can not afford a car. You write that your younger cousin is preparing to acquire a driving license and is younger than you. This reminds me of my first communion, I received it together with Confirmation, as I was much older, because I could not get at the age of eight years along with the other kids.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 7:24 am

Asperger96 wrote:
I was on Facebook yesterday and saw that my 2nd cousin just got a learners permit. Which ticks me off because I am 2 YEARS OLDER :evil:

I ask my grandmother why I can't take a learners test (I previously took an online practice test and got a perfect score), and she lists a plethora of reasons: I'm immature (am so not! ), its way too expensive, she would have to add me to her insurance and that's too expensive; and, most recently, because I have Aspergers.

Many of my classmates already drive, and I feel humiliated because I don't even have a learners permit. :sad:

If you want to excel your cousin, how you get older you could sign up for the pilot course :)

I would enroll my self if my health allow me to do so,
Flying is a lot more fun than driving a car :D

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 2:51 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Asperger96 wrote:
Soccer22 wrote:

Woodpecker wrote:

Enjoy that you do not live in Europe, especially in Poland. We have a very strict driving courses, and you must have at least 18 years old, from what I know it only in Europe, only the UK can make driving at 17.

I do not have a license, and not need it, because I can not afford a car. You write that your younger cousin is preparing to acquire a driving license and is younger than you. This reminds me of my first communion, I received it together with Confirmation, as I was much older, because I could not get at the age of eight years along with the other kids.

You don't need your own car, you can use your parents' or borrow one from a friend if you needed to. A license is still useful to have even if you don't have your own vehicle.