What have your experiences with graduate school been like?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 11:38 pm

I'm getting close to finishing my master's degree(2/2.5 years done). It's been a very troubling and turbulent experience, more than normal. At least all the stress hasn't given me psychotic episode (I think I'm in the clear for developing schizophrenia like two of my grandparents :)).

I got into my program a couple of weeks before the semester started. A funding opportunity opened up at the last minute in the form of a teaching assistantship outside of our department. The field research project I was brought onto never panned out. The field second research project I was migrated onto also didn't pan out. My current laboratory project that is panning out is actually half of a PhD project that another student abandoned due to stress/poor relationship with my graduate adviser. I've managed to avoid the same fate somehow though our relationship hasn't been completely rosy. I haven't made any friendships with other grad students. I almost did with the PhD student that dropped out and I still feel terrible about taking over their project. Graduate school feels like a hostage situation. I've wanted to quit a lot. My wife and our kitties have been good motivation to persist. COVID has made the experience better. I've been working mostly alone all summer on site since my research was deemed essential :mrgreen:. Everyone will be coming back this fall though, great idea :roll:. Can't wait to be done with it this winter.

What have your experiences been like?

Jiheisho
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jul 2020, 2:14 pm

My grad school was online. I really liked that environment as it just let me focus on my work. No group work either. It was hard, but I went back at an old age, so was very prepared to do the work. It was well worth completing. Don't underestimate the graduate degree.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 5:28 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
My grad school was online. I really liked that environment as it just let me focus on my work. No group work either. It was hard, but I went back at an old age, so was very prepared to do the work. It was well worth completing. Don't underestimate the graduate degree.

That sounds really nice. All of the group work projects I've worked on in the last couple of years have been terrible and morphed into 'solo' projects where I did all the work.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 4:24 pm

My experiences in graduate school were not the best. I will never visit those places again due to my bad memories. My masters program was fair, but I faced extensive bullying from my main PhD advisor. He ended up being forced off of my defense committee after I proved that he had blankly violated graduate school rules. He did not receive tenure because of his very unprofessional behavior, which he blamed on me. I am forever blacklisted at a certain national lab because of his pull there.

I also had to leave a different research group because a post doc there was contaminating my reactions. She would not stop after being confronted and the advisor backed her up. In the end, she screwed over the advisor by not declaring she was pregnant (she was not at risk to be fired, but it is a safety issue) until it was too late to get another worker to do the lab work for her. She wanted all the credit and would not allow anyone else to work on her part of the project. This major delay cost the advisor a million dollar grant. If only he would have listened to me earlier about her behavior. I am on speaking terms with that former advisor, so there is no ill will there. He now realizes that I was trying to help.