Is it worth returning to college at 26

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Highly_Autistic
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2024, 5:21 pm

This year i've turned 26.

I'm feeling void. With 2 year degree, i cant prove that i'm qualified for a job, even if i am.

So, i enrolled for a 4 years degree in the autumn. But i didnt continue. From time to time i think about returning.

Tuition is not that much in my country, so thats not really a problem.

But, it's daunting to be around 30 and have diploma and nothing else. I mean, i'm 26 and there is no room left for wasting time.

I dont want to go there and sit among 18-19-20 year olds, but i might need to. Because engineering is my only interest/passion/skill.

Many people at my age finished their studies and working in their fields. In last 8 years i struggled with mental issues and didnt do much. Time passed fast. At the moment i dont have that much passion or enthusiasm to sit among 18-20 year olds and listen to lectures.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 5:37 pm

Nobody will care about your age. I apologize for being blunt, but nobody will give a s**t. There were plenty of people who were above the "normal" college demographic in my classes. I met a lot of mothers in their 30's who were going back to school. I met people who were in the military and then quit to go to college. I know someone who's near 40 and is going back to school.

I understand feeling like we are supposed to accomplish things by a certain age, yet that's fading away in these ages. People will start new jobs, go to school, have children, get a new hobby at ages they are not "supposed" to be at.

26 does not mean you are 30. There are four years between. You are my age lol. You are not at the "end of the void" and have plenty of time to restart your life. I had to many times. It took me a bit to finish college but that was towards COVID.

You are being too self-conscious and picking on yourself. It's brave to start college again and go forth in a new space.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 5:52 pm

^^^
THIS

I was 30 when I got my Associate's. Mid 30s when I got my Bachelor's. 40 when I got my Master's. Nobody cared. You shouldn't either.

Not everyone will be 18-20 anyways. People go back to college for all sorts of reasons, at whatever period in their life they're able. Not sure what difference it makes how old the other students are.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 7:19 pm

Things have changed. Folks rarely stay in the same job all their life. I talked to a hair dresser and she didn't know anyone in her circle who was in the same job for a long time. Maybe one person for fifteen years.
Lots of people now start over in the 40s.

Teachers in some places need to get advanced degrees, which means that they are in school in the 30s.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 8:14 am

you are going to be 30 anyways if things go right, why not be better educated at age 30. Employers in so many sectors of industry and commerce are crying for help and looking for experts in many fields, nobody will care that you are continuing your education, in fact that is a positive factor that makes you even more employable. Yes, go for it!! !

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 7:00 pm

My advice is to go after your goal of an education in your field of study. No one will care how old you are. There was once a great grandmother in Kansas that graduated with her bachelors degree in business at the age of 92. She then went on to complete her masters degree a few years later. Most would have told her that she was wasting her time. But, it was her goal to get it done before she passed on. She was the turtle that beat the hare in the race of life.

Do not worry about what other people will think. You need to do what is best for you, not them.

BTW - One of my graduate school friends earned his doctorate at the age of 50. He was literally homeless at the age of 35 with no education outside of high school. He befriended a college professor who talked him into going to college. He worked his way up and finished his education many years later. He is disabled now due to the effects of a brain tumor, something he could not plan for. He is still happy that he took that route in his life. He got a good ten + years of his dream career and he is now enjoying retirement with his family.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2024, 11:07 am

It's worth it if you have an actual plan of what you want to do, and are studying a program that has a reasonable chance of leading to a career.

But the question is: is college something that YOU actually intrinsically want to do?

Or are you just doing it because you feel like you're supposed to, or so that people don't look down upon you for not having a degree. Those are not good reasons to go into debt and spend time.

If you are studying something you really want to do, you wouldn't see it as a waste of time. The only reason you may be viewing this as a waste of time is because you're considering it for other peoples approval rather than your own motivations.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 3:02 pm

Is returning to college required for what you'd like to do with your life? If so, it's probably worthwhile.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う