Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Oct 2008
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 766
Location: whatever town, usa

19 Jun 2009, 4:16 pm

Okay, so, I just finished my last year of high school. I'm finally out of the massive hell-hole that I have spent the past 13 years of my life stuck in. Now I only have 3 hurdles to get over before I'm off to college this fall. (off to college being the community college less than 10 minutes from my front door...10 minutes with bad traffic and hitting every red light from my house to the parking lot... :) )

Hurdle #1. Graduation. I have to show up more than an hour early to do...what? we haven't been told anything. we certainly don't need an hour to get in line; the people in my class are more mature than that. Then I have to sit for 2+ hours next to 2 of the guys I hate most in my class. ugh,'nuff said.

Hurdle #2. Grad Party. My parents planned this huge thing with my entire family...and my friends. my family numbers in the high 30's and my friends & friends of the family they've invited number in the high 20's so there are gonna be at least 60 people there.... Can you say "crowd induced panic attack in 20 minutes?" That is gonna be a big one.

Hurdle #3. Signing Up For College Classes. I sweat the small stuff, more so than the big stuff, kinda dumb huh? This has been voted most likely to cause me a massive mental breakdown by my friends.

So, to get to my point...HELP!! !! !! !! !! !! !! Does anyone have any advice they can pass on for dealing with crowds or stress releaving stuff?


_________________
Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth. -Mark Twain
If life gives you lemons, make grape juice, sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.


Peko
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,389
Location: Eastern PA, USA

19 Jun 2009, 6:16 pm

I just went through that stuff myself (though I got out of the grad party/thank God!) Stress coping ideas; 1. ignore everyone, though its rude 2. eat dark chocolate (it even lowers blood pressure) :) 3. Beg your way out of the grad party, or go hide out at a friends house (I would of seriously not shown up at my own party if I had one) :lol:

When it comes to signing up for classes, do you have an orientation program (I had an overnight one where we signed up there/not bad, it was kind of fun/skipped the social stuff though), just relax & see what classes you have to take b/c of your major, look over electives carefully so you get ones you will like. Picking classes will probably be the least stressful event 8O . Just RELAX... 8) 8) 8)

p.s. I like emoticons (better than looking at actual faces, clearer) :D


_________________
Balance is needed within the universe, can be demonstrated in most/all concepts/things. Black/White, Good/Evil, etc.
All dependent upon your own perspective in your own form of existence, so trust your own gut and live the way YOU want/need to.


Mist01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 168
Location: Western Pennsylvania, USA

23 Jun 2009, 4:13 pm

Do something lighthearted, but also sincere at your graduation party. For example:

My party is next week. Its just with family though. ...I really dont like my family. They constantly hound me about not having a job, for one. Even though ive already announced ive pretty much found one. Anyway... Im sure we've all gone through the list of repetitive questions. Where are you going for college, are you happy school is over, are you driving yet, etc. Im honestly sick of it. Ive had enough of those questions. So im going to make a big poster board of all the questions I frequently get asked by reletives and answers to those questions. Im going to put it in a place it will most likely get seen. I will also put the sign ahead of me so they have to walk past it before talking to me. My dad doesnt like the idea, but my mom thinks its hilarious. I think its funny too, but its also my way showing people that ive had enough of being treated like a kid.

Im freaking 19 years old and im still not treated like an adult by my dad's side of the family. I dont act immature at all. I just get a feeling about them from how they talk to me that they dont view me as a mature adult with an individual mind. They dont even know me that well. They have this idea that im a lazy slob who doesnt have any goals in life. If they would just talk to me and have a mature conversation with me about things, they would actually get to know me for once. So yeah, if they dont appreciate my FAQ sign, they can suck it. I honestly dont care if they are insulted by it, because im insulted by the way they act towards me sometimes. Ill let you guys know how the party goes. Honestly, I do really want there to be some sort of conflict. I want them to be insulted and I want to have an arguement with them over how they should get to know me before making judgements. Why? Because I think it will actually do some good and change their ultra conservative way of thinking.


_________________
"Discovering the basic goodness of human life, the warrior learns to radiate that goodness into the world for the peace and sanity of others. "
--Chgyam Trungpa


raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,235
Location: Indiana

23 Jun 2009, 8:06 pm

I dunno how to help you with #1 sorry.

As for #2...I think it would be funny (and if you have the guts to) to just tell everyone to kiss your a** and just bail out of the party or something

as for #3 try not to over worry yourself with this one. Don't do what I did though. Pick classes that are required for your major. Perhaps mixing a few easy prerequisites with a few hard ones will keep help relax and manage yourself.



musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Oct 2008
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 766
Location: whatever town, usa

26 Jun 2009, 4:00 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
As for #2...I think it would be funny (and if you have the guts to) to just tell everyone to kiss your a** and just bail out of the party or something

as for #3 try not to over worry yourself with this one. Don't do what I did though. Pick classes that are required for your major. Perhaps mixing a few easy prerequisites with a few hard ones will keep help relax and manage yourself.


your answer for #2 - i love it...but i have no choice in the matter. the 'rents have said: you. will. be. at. your. grad. party. period. the end. ...jerks...

answer for #3 - thank you thank you thank you!! !! !! ! :D :D :D i'm going to a community college that doesn't have my specific major, but they do have some basic classes for what i'm going into.

Peko wrote:
I just went through that stuff myself (though I got out of the grad party/thank God!) Stress coping ideas; 1. ignore everyone, though its rude 2. eat dark chocolate (it even lowers blood pressure) :) 3. Beg your way out of the grad party, or go hide out at a friends house (I would of seriously not shown up at my own party if I had one) :lol:

When it comes to signing up for classes, do you have an orientation program (I had an overnight one where we signed up there/not bad, it was kind of fun/skipped the social stuff though), just relax & see what classes you have to take b/c of your major, look over electives carefully so you get ones you will like. Picking classes will probably be the least stressful event 8O . Just RELAX... 8) 8) 8)

p.s. I like emoticons (better than looking at actual faces, clearer) :D


i think i'm gonna take option 2 for stress coping (i'm chocoholic :lol: )

yeah, there is an orientation program, but again community college w/o my specific major. basic courses for it tho. & i was looking at an electives list just before i logged on here :D i'm so happy about one of them: a "foreign language:" american sign language.

Mist01 wrote:
Do something lighthearted, but also sincere at your graduation party. For example:

My party is next week. Its just with family though. ...I really dont like my family. They constantly hound me about not having a job, for one. Even though ive already announced ive pretty much found one. Anyway... Im sure we've all gone through the list of repetitive questions. Where are you going for college, are you happy school is over, are you driving yet, etc. Im honestly sick of it. Ive had enough of those questions. So im going to make a big poster board of all the questions I frequently get asked by reletives and answers to those questions. Im going to put it in a place it will most likely get seen. I will also put the sign ahead of me so they have to walk past it before talking to me. My dad doesnt like the idea, but my mom thinks its hilarious. I think its funny too, but its also my way showing people that ive had enough of being treated like a kid.

Im freaking 19 years old and im still not treated like an adult by my dad's side of the family. I dont act immature at all. I just get a feeling about them from how they talk to me that they dont view me as a mature adult with an individual mind. They dont even know me that well. They have this idea that im a lazy slob who doesnt have any goals in life. If they would just talk to me and have a mature conversation with me about things, they would actually get to know me for once. So yeah, if they dont appreciate my FAQ sign, they can suck it. I honestly dont care if they are insulted by it, because im insulted by the way they act towards me sometimes. Ill let you guys know how the party goes. Honestly, I do really want there to be some sort of conflict. I want them to be insulted and I want to have an arguement with them over how they should get to know me before making judgements. Why? Because I think it will actually do some good and change their ultra conservative way of thinking.


i might have to steal that FAQ board idea :twisted: i love it!! ! and it is hilarious :lol:

i know what the not being treated like an adult bit; my mom seems to think i'm still her little girl...well she's gonna get a shock. her "little girl" is graduating tomorrow morning, is going to college in the fall and is definately not little any more

and GO FOR IT Mist01, if even 1 ultra-conservative mind can be changed that's 1 more person who isn't prejudice against aspies like us


_________________
Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth. -Mark Twain
If life gives you lemons, make grape juice, sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it.


Mist01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 168
Location: Western Pennsylvania, USA

26 Jun 2009, 4:51 pm

lol!
Oh ive already made it :). Im anxious to see what they think of it or if they will even read it.
On the brighter side of my situation, I did recently talk with one of my aunts that is comming to the party about the whole disrespect thing and whatnot. She was basically saying that I come across as rude and immature because I dont engage in small talk. I then told her not only is it incredibly boring and pointless, but instead of calling me immature she should teach me how to have small talk, because I simply dont know what to say. This is defenatly an aspie trait and she works with autistic kids as a TSS (same as my mom) so I dont know if she picked it up or not. Even if she did, I doubt she would change her thinking about it. Its not that im trying to be rude by being distant and non social, I just dont know how to socialize the way im excepted to by them.

Omg...I just thought of something. Im having a temporary facination with turbans right now and im even trying to make one. Since I dont have a piece of cloth long enough, I have to sew them together. I should finish my turban, learn how to wrap it, then wear it at the party tomorrow. Ill wrap it using a Sikh method since my hair is long enough. Man, if they nearly freaked out because I expressed interest in a lip piercing, they will totally go apeshit if they see me wearing a turban. I can only imagine the racist and prejudice comments ill get. I guess I do like conflict :). Only when I know im right though.


_________________
"Discovering the basic goodness of human life, the warrior learns to radiate that goodness into the world for the peace and sanity of others. "
--Chgyam Trungpa