I caught myself systemizing today

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2004, 4:06 pm

something kinda fun to report. I had to go down the arts and communication building this afternoon to sign up for a TV workshop class that is required for my degree.

The main office where I had to go was right next to one of the television studios. I took a look inside since the door was open. The first thing that came to mind was how big the studio was.

So the first thing I did was ask the lady in the TV office what the dimensions were of the studio. She had no idea.

Undaunted, I developed this urge to count the floor tiles, each of which was 12in x 12in. And so I did just that.

I counted both ways and came up with the dimensions of 60x40 feet.

I felt much happier after having done that.

midge
Toucan
Toucan

11 Nov 2004, 10:40 pm

I like to do that too. When I first got my car I immediately calculated the gas mileage under normal conditions and re-calculated it for cruise control (32 mpg, baby!). I also mentally calculated how much money I was saving a week/month/year by driving to school (not to knock dorm living, of course. I just happen to live really close to school and be a tremendous cheapskate). And I figured out that every eight school days I was driving the equivalent to St. Louis and back (adding all the miles up, I have probably driven the equivalent to Nicaraqua and back!). And while sitting in my lecture halls I've counted the # of columns of seats x the # of rows of seats to figure out how many people where in the class-the largest had over 300. The funny thing is I don't really like math. Just numbers :-)

Last edited by midge on 12 Nov 2004, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2004, 5:13 am

I do crap like that all the time...

Only I do it with language instead of math and technology... I could make Tolkein's brain explode...

Repair=pair again...

Resign=sign again...

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2004, 8:26 am

I systemize quite often, like counting/calculating things, guessing how tall or how wide a building or a street or anything else is, I draw maps in my head.
I also take great pleasure at listing numbers.
But I'm not good at maths.
I also systemize with words and languages, movies, books. I like translating verbal things into schemes of my own.
I can do this for hours.