I really need help on choosing a college for 2010 (FOR REAL)

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Aug 2009, 8:46 am

Okay so here's the deal. As some of you may know by now, I have been posting topics here regarding my college choice to go to in 2010, and so far I seem to be having trouble making up my mind. The truth is, I have wanting to go to a college but for the wrong reasons, reasons that if I told, would make me look like a "stalker". I realized how wrong it is. So my college is now for good reasons and not for silly reasons.

Now I'm gonna tell you guys something that I definitely wanna do during college, and you might find it really childish and immature of me to wanna do this but I really wanna make this happen: I wish to make fan films of my own, as well as make anime shows and "TV series'" that I can post on YouTube. I have some super-awesome-sauce ideas that'll make you wish they were shown on TV, but I feel these ideas are best left as fan films or "web series on YouTube". I know it sounds impossible to do but I really wanna make this a reality. But I do wanna make live-action series' on YouTube.

Now what has this gotta do with my college choice? Well, I'll tell you. I have this idea for a Samurai/Superhero show which I plan to keep it a secret until I get the opportunity to do it. I need a place which has a "Samurai vibe" to it but it has to be a really modern area aswell. Basically I need a college where it's location is in either such a place or close to it where I can easily drive to for easy access. I also have plans to make shows in a city area or city-like area. So I need easy access to it aswell. And on a side note, I really hope to go to a college in a safe area, one where there's little to no crime at all.

It'll be really appreciative if you guys know of a good place where I can easily get opportunities to make these fan films and study filming and get a BA aswell within 4 years. I remember once that there was some topics in one of these forums here on Wrong Planet where they were talking about maps or locations so if you know about locations, I hope you can help me here. :) :oops: :?: :huh: :shrug: :chin: :scratch:

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Aug 2009, 11:12 pm

'Sorry for double-posting but can anyone please reply?

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2009, 6:00 am

Please reply, please?

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2009, 7:22 am

George Mason University since it is diverse community and great faculty. I am currently going into my senior year starting later this month. Mason also has a varitey of different degrees that you can pursued while at the university.

http://www.gmu.edu/

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2009, 12:03 pm

Anything related to TV shows and stuff and I would immediately think of something in the Los Angeles area, or at least somewhere in Southern California. There are a ton of schools in that area, and it'll obviously give you access to an urban setting. A "samurai vibe" though... I'm not sure what this involves, but I suppose there has to be at least some place in Greater LA that can approximate that?

immersive
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Aug 2009, 1:34 pm

Well, I don't know if you have any restrictions in terms of region or money, but Ithaca College might be someplace to look at (I got my undergraduate degree there). Ithaca's Park School of Communications is one of the top communications schools in the country. They have well known programs for film, screenwriting, journalism, etc. I had many friends in the film program and they were constantly off filming short films, tv show pilots, and other stuff like that for their classes. The school also has a television station that airs content produced by the students. Ithaca is a cool college town, though it is in upstate New York, so you'd have to deal with cold winters. Also, it is a fairly expensive private college.

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2009, 8:55 am

Can anyone please reply?

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2009, 6:10 pm

Can anyone please reply?

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Aug 2009, 1:53 am

Dear God I beg of you please reply.......

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 10:05 am

ashmeister wrote:

Mason has a Film Studies Major which suits your idea and wants perfectly.

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Aug 2009, 8:16 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
ashmeister wrote:

Film Studies only studies films, NOT actual Filmmaking, which I'm looking for. Film Studies focuses more on Theory while Filmmaking is more on Practical work, which is what I want.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 11:22 pm

ashmeister wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
ashmeister wrote:

Film Studies only studies films, NOT actual Filmmaking, which I'm looking for. Film Studies focuses more on Theory while Filmmaking is more on Practical work, which is what I want.

Alex Plank was a Film and Video Studies major at Mason.

http://cvpa.gmu.edu/favs/content/overview.htm

Quote:
Curriculum:

The BA in Film and Visual Studies (FAVS) is 120 credit hour degree with a 48-50 credit program, consisting of 21 credits of required courses, 12-14 credits of electives in theory and production, a required minor or intermediate level in a foreign language, a required internship, a senior thesis, a required 3 credits of a Film and Video Studies Colloquium, and 6 credits of specialized electives which help the student focus on his/her senior project/thesis

Basically it teaches you the ideas of film making with the theories. I took a class on Native Americans in Film course and I learned the process along with theories behind. We had a project to create a film and make a budget plan. Plus we had to have a bit of dialogue for the final product.

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Aug 2009, 1:18 am

JerryHatake wrote:
ashmeister wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
ashmeister wrote:

Alex Plank was a Film and Video Studies major at Mason.

http://cvpa.gmu.edu/favs/content/overview.htm

Quote:
Curriculum:

The BA in Film and Visual Studies (FAVS) is 120 credit hour degree with a 48-50 credit program, consisting of 21 credits of required courses, 12-14 credits of electives in theory and production, a required minor or intermediate level in a foreign language, a required internship, a senior thesis, a required 3 credits of a Film and Video Studies Colloquium, and 6 credits of specialized electives which help the student focus on his/her senior project/thesis

Basically it teaches you the ideas of film making with the theories. I took a class on Native Americans in Film course and I learned the process along with theories behind. We had a project to create a film and make a budget plan. Plus we had to have a bit of dialogue for the final product.

'Sorry, 'guess I didn't fully take a good look. My bad. I tend to act without thinking, so basically what I'm saying is that I can be quite reckless and impulsive.

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2009, 12:32 am

Can anyone please reply?

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2009, 4:31 am

Can anyone please reply?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 7:33 am

Frankly, if you are not certain of the school to attend, I'd not waste a day or a dollar going after it until you do.

You seem to want specific skills (film making). You need to talk with people who do this and see what kind of program you need THEN look for a school that will give you that training that is accepted in the marketplace.

Since most of us don't do that line of work, I think it might be long odds that any of us really know what school you should be going for.