College isn't a good fit for someone with Asperger's

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

neopsytox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2009, 5:20 pm

Some universities only allow a certain number of credit hours having been completed by distance learning methods when seeking a degree. This flusters me. I was hoping to take the majority of my core requirements by way of online classes, specifically to avoid going to the school everyday. This is for several reasons:

#1. I'm nocturnal with irregular sleep patterns
#2. I am without independent means of transportation
#3. My weak immune system
#4. Social Phobia

The first year I spent in college back in 2005-2006, came to a premature end after frustrations arose when I was forced to move and couldn't walk to school anymore, having to rely on my roommate to drop me off and pick me up daily. Also, I was double-majoring in music and theatre, but the second semester was when I added drama to the bill and with only three teachers in the department, I was stuck in 3 classes with the same one. Supposedly he was the nicest of them all, even though I loved my teacher from introduction to theatre the previous semester, though he specialized in technical theatre courses. The first day of class, my new teacher immediately didn't like me. I don't know what caused it. It was instantaneous and specific. He would ignore me if I asked a question, even if I was standing right in front of him. He would also ignore if I were to raise my hand or if I appropriately answered a question he posed, as if I didn't say anything at all.

I was shy and quiet and got along with a few of the others in the class. The assignments I completed were above par, as even they commented with a smile, compliment, and/or conversation, but he would grade me harshly. I was loving school until this point, until facing this teacher. Slowly I dropped his classes one by one until mid-semester when I finally blew-up and walked out of the remaining class on my schedule taught by him. The stress had made me sick, which was negatively impacting my relations with teachers in the music dept. My piano teacher would comment aggressively during most classes about how it was inconsiderate of me to come to class when I was ill, because...what if she were to get sick? She is a concert pianist and her health is imperitive to her career. I was also in choir, which didn't bode well, either. So, I just stopped going to school and became severely ill for a full year, bedridden.

It wasn't the classes that caused me stress. I do fine in them. I read and do my work and perform well on tests, despite my anxiety. It's the people, the social order of the world. So much relies on whether people like you, because if they don't, they can and usually do make things quite difficult. I encounter a mixed bag of teachers that absolutely adore me and then those who detest me; there really isn't much falling in the grey --it's either black or white. I am quiet and go to school to learn. It is important to me, and it definitely isn't fair for anyone to use their power to keep you down. If I showing an understanding of the material, show up and am polite and responsive, I should get the grade that I deserve. I shouldn't have to fight for an A. Every B lowers my GPA and the possibility of being accepted into a good university. What about when I want to enter graduate school? Why does college have to be so difficult? Why should it be more than just applying yourself and learning? The purpose of school shouldn't be a social club. I'm not trying to adopt a family or party.

School is traumatic. Work is traumatic. You get pushed around and kicked down. I wish there weren't limitations concerning the amount of credit hours I can complete through internet correspondence --that way, they would never meet me, which wouldn't allow them to form an impression; I would be a ghost, just the way I like it. It would be about the work I do rather than my demeanor. They shouldn't abuse their power and cripple my academic career. Starting school again is whirling me into a severe panic.

http://www.myspace.com/cxareigna
http://cxareign.wordpress.com
http://aspergianologie.wordpress.com

WEIRD is NOT a DISEASE; It's EVOLUTION!

Last edited by neopsytox on 23 Aug 2009, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 6:02 pm

Solution: Go to a school that has night classes or get your degree online.

But I do agree that professors will try to crush student initiative (you need to watch out for these) and especially at the freshman/undergrad level will try to present everything extremely rigidly in a way that isn't compatible with every student's learning style, and some even take off points for things like not stapling your paper properly or turning it in with a few wrinkles. Sometimes these professors are downright bullies. You might want to ask a classmate who these professors are in advance so you can stay well away from them.
The social aspect of college is difficult for everyone at first, unless you live in a dorm or on campus housing, since the social atmosphere is pretty distant and it takes time to get to know people: which is kind of disconcerting because you really sort of have to know other people to get anywhere in college.

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 6:24 pm

School was tough for me, even though I had housing on campus and could walk everywhere I needed to go. Sensory issues made dorm life very difficult, and I had only a couple of friends my entire time in college. I also had professors who made ridiculous demands, and even dropped out of classes because of the professor's attitude or the students in the class.

Fortunately, I pursued my "special interest" while at college, and dedication and discipline won over a couple of professors, and that helped.

All that was in the 1980s. There are so many more ways to pursue a degree now that I hope you'll be able to find a combination that works for you.

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2009, 6:31 pm

it all really depends on the individual, but the social part doesnt bother me, it's the school work and the fact that the school district I graduated from didn't properly prepere me for life beyond highschool so doing college english was hard because I never learned MLA or APA till I got a book on how to write college papers depending on what class your taking. College can be a positive experience you just have to work at it.

neopsytox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2009, 6:38 pm

Taking evening classes would elongate my college-stay. I'm already 27 and want to eventually go to graduate school, so it would be better not to spend the next 20 years trying to complete my coursework, especially when financial aid will only pay for so long.

Online academic institutions are too expensive for me to manage, plus they don't offer what I wish to study. Going to school for a degree that problem won't help you in your future career prospects is pointless.

As for the teachers who have treated me poorly in the past, it isn't even a personality conflict that instigates the disconcertment. I check RateMyProfessors.com when choosing who I will take. It's just, the ones that are rated high and well-liked, many a time, I have problems in their class. I'm a neat person, so I make sure everything I turn in is perfect. I think sometimes it may be because they look at me as an overachiever, and they want to knock me down a peg, but that IS bullying. I have realized that if I want to learn anything, I usually need to teach myself, because I may not jive well with their style of instruction, but I do teach myself. I do know the material. When I take large-scale tests graded by the state, I score amongst the highest, because they aren't grading me as a person, just what I know. When I'm in class, I feel that teachers grade me as a person.

I remember failing art class in high school because my teacher didn't like me, because she was very Christian and she perceived me as a troublemaker just by my appearance. She would also grade me harder than anyone else in the class. I went to her once and told her my concerns and asked her why she was doing that, because I would deserve an A. She told me that it was because, even though I was the best in the class, I could do better. She graded me against what she determined as my potential, even on sketchbook assignments, she expected a masterpiece from me. I didn't try to scrape by in the class. I didn't slack off. I did my work. I didn't struggle, and because I didn't struggle, she marked down my grade, saying that I didn't show enough effort.

Teachers like this make me hate school. They expect me to be perfect and then when I am, they get annoyed with it. I DON'T WANT TO BE MEDIOCRE. I shouldn't HAVE TO struggle in class just to make them happy. I don't want to be a B or C student. I have a lot to prove to myself and make of my life. I dedicate myself to a task and become obsessed in doing my best. I should be graded on my merit. If they would just stop picking on me, I guess I wouldn't have social phobia. I used to have a ton of friends and was very active in social activities. It seems as if now that I've entered the adult-world, elementary school interactions are resurfacing, but instead of being bullied by classmates, I am being harassed by my superiors, which is far worse, because it does break bones...

I need to do well enough to attain scholarships to continue my education when I start having to attend more costly institutions. I need a 4.0 GPA to compete with everyone else.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 6:44 pm

So by saying "College isn't a good fit for those with Asperger's" you actually mean "College isn't a good fit for you"

I adore college and will keep going until I die. It is the perfect fit for me.

neopsytox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2009, 6:56 pm

Sorry for seeming so irate. I've been antsy for the past week after finding out that I had the option to return to school this semester. I hadn't thought it was a possibility. Now I'm scrambling to make sure I work up a college plan to complete in the standard allotment of time, as well as researching university requirements for transferring and department requirements for securing a degree, but honestly, I'm still trying to decide on a definite major. I need to do that by spring semester so that I'm on track with my studies. I have too many interests, and it's hard to pick one, so I've been racking my brain trying to research all of my options to determine which would be best for me both mentally and financially.

I came from a single-parent household of someone who was constantly working just to pay for our basic necessities. I screwed up by dropping out of high school. I am lucky when I land a job, because I do horribly on interviews and have only been hired during mass group hiring (which is impersonal) or ones that hire based on testing scores (also impersonal). They don't pay much. My first year of college, I was working full-time overnight and attending full-time during the day. This would have remained the case if my employer wasn't trying to sabotage my college experience by altering my schedule while had been the same for the year, even though I had talked to them about my plan to enter school well before I even signed up for courses, to make sure there wouldn't be any conflict. I guess when I finally started school, someone asserted their power and decided that I should pick one or the other. I picked school, but then school was giving me problems after the fact because of professors, so I dropped out. No job. No school.

In order for me to ever be financially independent, I need a degree in something lucrative and skilled, so that I am an asset that isn't so easily expendable. I'm not eligible for student loans. I have to rely on financial aid and doing so well that I can acquire scholarships to ease the rest of the cost burden. Life is so depressing. I don't want to be dependent upon others, because the only thing you can trust is that they will let you down. I want to work hard and do well in school. I just wish the teacher's like of me wasn't a determining factor in my academic success. And yeah, high school doesn't prepare you for college. High school was just daycare while your parents worked. They don't teach you what the real world will be like once you leave their protected walls.

neopsytox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2009, 7:05 pm

Shiggily wrote:
So by saying "College isn't a good fit for those with Asperger's" you actually mean "College isn't a good fit for you"

I adore college and will keep going until I die. It is the perfect fit for me.

got you to read, didn't it?
and yes, it is specifically me. I am not going into psycho-analysis or reporting case study findings. This isn't a scientific post. It's personal. However, the aspies I've met in my area all seem to have similar frustrations in school, the social aspect. They love to learn but had an awful time at university (and up until that time, as well). Some of them stuck it through and achieved degrees. Though, their employment-history has been spotty, at best; none of which are presently working, even though they are all 30+. Many of the others were hit-and-miss with college and eventually gave up.

Thank you for your correction. I think I will retreat from this board again. It is nice to know that someone has found contentment in college. Hope you never have to leave.

neopsytox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2009, 7:12 pm

changed the thread title.
now it says "someone," which equates "me."

I was mistaken in thinking that everyone with Asperger's has social problems. That is probably just a bi-product of those who can't cope well. My coping skills are next to nil after situations have compounded over the years. If I could cope better, perhaps it wouldn't bother me being singled out and graded unfairly. I would just call it life and deal. The idea behind school is brilliant. I want to learn forever. I never want to stop being educated, but I do want to stop being unfairly treated, though it shouldn't be such a priority that it psychologically affects me so deeply.

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 7:47 pm

Eh. College is a good fit for many of us. I have three degrees myself. You just have to find the right institution. If online classes are important, find a regionally accredited institution with good online offerings.

For gen eds I recommend community colleges. Usually CCs have better online/distance offerings.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2009, 4:30 am

neopsytox wrote:
changed the thread title.
now it says "someone," which equates "me."

I was mistaken in thinking that everyone with Asperger's has social problems. That is probably just a bi-product of those who can't cope well. My coping skills are next to nil after situations have compounded over the years. If I could cope better, perhaps it wouldn't bother me being singled out and graded unfairly. I would just call it life and deal. The idea behind school is brilliant. I want to learn forever. I never want to stop being educated, but I do want to stop being unfairly treated, though it shouldn't be such a priority that it psychologically affects me so deeply.

I have social problems. And I had problems when I got my Master's in Education... but not when I got my BS in Math. In fact, my problems with my education degree and my professors is what led to my evaluation for AS. What you study is almost as important as where you study.

take only core classes at the college you really want. Heck, I took speech online. You can test out of certain subjects. You can enroll as a special populations student (through student services) which will give you some help in certain areas.

Consider a multi-subject/interdisciplinary degree, some colleges allow you to mix requirements for two or three degrees into one. You only need to get permission from the departments and the board.

Work on practical internships/volunteering which will help you adjust to your preferred work environment and look good on your resume.

Many colleges provide some counseling/career counseling services

http://www.larsperner.com/autism/colleges.htm

http://www.taftindependent.com/news/view_article/1258

http://www.researchautism.org/news/othe ... arship.asp

And please excuse me if I come across as too gruff

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2009, 2:42 pm

Just had my first "real" day of graduate classes today.

Sucked :lol:

I've been in a training program the last couple weeks for an assistantship I ended up not even getting, but today was the real deal. 8am lecture with 25+ people packed into a classroom more fit for like 10. I was super claustrophobic (which typically isn't something I have a problem with) and I was sitting in the back row just slamming down bottles of water, as that's something that helps me when I'm nervous/lightheaded like that.

It was a 2 1/2 hour class with no break and by the end I had to piss so bad I thought I was going to explode.

I need to get my head screwed on like immediately (which I should be able to do, today was highly unusual), otherwise I'm in deep sh*t. I have more than a full load of classes and now a different assistantship that is 25 hours a week instead of the 10 hour one that I was training for. Real rough start.

Better luck tomorrow I guess :)

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2009, 3:58 pm

Quote:
#1. I'm nocturnal with irregular sleep patterns

Perfect for all nighters!
Quote:
#2. I am without independent means of transportation

I got a bicycle.
Quote:
#3. My weak immune system

Good excuse for not going to class, and what better cure for a weak immune system than exercising it!
Quote:
#4. Social Phobia

Beer.

I loved college, in spite of my Asperger's (which I didn't know about at the time). Of course, everyone is different. I would give it a chance.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2009, 4:06 pm

I hate college too, but for more reasons than the social aspect.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2009, 6:19 pm

Sounds like from the OP that the problem is more the Performing Arts department itself rather than just college as a whole. Trust me, I've been involved in activities like Technical Theater and Choir since my high school freshman year and I never knew how much abuse I would put up with. Apparently that sort of thing, as deeply interested as I was in it (or thought I was), it was never truly for me. And subjects involving the arts are very socially demanding. Sure you might learn or improve your social skills but that all depends on how much s**t you're willing to take from teachers and students in those kind of department and there's never any guarantee that you'll come out on top. I did film production in college, never got along with ANY of the students in that department and absolutely despised them (teachers were okay though).

My advice to you: hard as it may sound but you might want to consider a different career path/college study all together. Perhaps one that doesn't require hands-on or socially demanding activities. If you want to stay in your plane of interests you can always try being a researcher or your interests or study something that involves less personal interaction.

neopsytox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Aug 2009, 11:24 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
Sounds like from the OP that the problem is more the Performing Arts department itself rather than just college as a whole. Trust me, I've been involved in activities like Technical Theater and Choir since my high school freshman year and I never knew how much abuse I would put up with. Apparently that sort of thing, as deeply interested as I was in it (or thought I was), it was never truly for me. And subjects involving the arts are very socially demanding. Sure you might learn or improve your social skills but that all depends on how much s**t you're willing to take from teachers and students in those kind of department and there's never any guarantee that you'll come out on top. I did film production in college, never got along with ANY of the students in that department and absolutely despised them (teachers were okay though).

My advice to you: hard as it may sound but you might want to consider a different career path/college study all together. Perhaps one that doesn't require hands-on or socially demanding activities. If you want to stay in your plane of interests you can always try being a researcher or your interests or study something that involves less personal interaction.

Well, I have a lot of interests, which probably means that I don't have Asperger's at all, but I was trying to figure out a balance between both the arts and the sciences for this next time around. Really, I was considering Civil Engineering with Landscape Architecture as a double major, perhaps? and Traditional Architecture in grad school or maybe Urban & Environmental Planning, so that I can be well-rounded in the field, but honestly, my interest in architecture and structure design is about as great as any other field of study. I'm fairly obsessed with research and learning about things, all things. I've always been terribly fond of Linguistics and Computer Programming and Psychology and Nutrition and Business/Finance *shrugs* It's a complicated decision, trying to make plans at an early stage in your life to document your whole future. As I get older, the retirement age will be increasing, which means I will probably be working within the career-field I've been educated through my 80's and possibly into my 90's.

I understand now that even though I'm artistic and creative, I do not belong amongst art students and should never attempt an arts school, so I need to stick to something academic but not socially demanding as a career, yet something that allows me to think and solve problems/be creative daily. A lot of students are less than happy about attending college because they don't even want to be there...they feel pressure from their family through expectations or societal pressure of the requirement to receive a formal education in order to be successful. They go to school and do as little as possible to get by, because they just want to hurry up and graduate to be independent -- that it's just a means to an end. The way they feel about school is how I feel about work in general. I would rather stay in school forever absorbing everything, because the idea of working and feeling stuck because of responsibility and obligations just seems so depressing, like it would drain the life from your veins.

I need to speak with an academic counselor about the best options to fit my criteria, because I have to handle school as the rest of them do, as a means to an end...it's about quickly getting the degree and going off to work until you die.

P.S. I agree with you about studying the arts. It's the reason I have been straying from it all my life, but I keep coming back to it in the logic that everyone can be book-smart if they applied themselves, but not everyone can be creative. I thought it was my "calling" or something, but a calling wouldn't be based in logic, it would be feeling. I think of schooling in the arts as tedious, because it can either be regarded as too structured or not formal enough, depending on how you view it. It strips the joy of art and makes it work but lacks technique, and honestly, I normally wouldn't consider school to be work, at all....the process itself is enjoyable for me. I just happen to be a bit too fearful of the elements involved.