Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

eboresow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2006, 1:12 am

How do you know what you want in a college?

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to look for in a college. I have No Clue what's "right" for me. and my parents are both NT and went to state schools. The only thing I know is that I want to be close to home.

What determines if a college is right for you? How do you know what you want out of a college?

Thanks. Confused Sophomore

Quincunx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2006, 3:30 pm

Well, I graduated high school at sixteen. Jumped around colleges -- from Adirondack CC to Harvard University. Changing majors along the way. I finally figured out what I want: physics and a mathematics degree. I was just accepted into Stanford.

I would *really* recommend a small school. Close relationships to faculty is what you want. I don't know where you live, so I can't really advise. And how close is close?

You can always enter college as an undecided student. You have two years to declare a major. If you still don't know what you want, pick your best strength, and go with it. A liberal arts education opens many doors.

Kind regards,
Chris

pbkolstimm
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Mar 2006, 3:33 pm

Are you a sophomore in Highschool or college? I would say go to a good state school because the professors at private schools think their sh** dont stink. In fact they will try to feed you their sh** like food and tell you to chew hard and do not complain. State schools have better array of courses and it is easier to switch classes if you like. Do you like binge drinking...then pick a school with a lot of that. Do you like the club scenes or big cities...then go to a big town witha lot of that. if you like smoke a lot of ganja then e-mail me at [email protected] and i can tell you whichschools are the best for toking sensi.
-Yo, married to marijuana
smoke mad trees,
catch me with the same bit** in B\elize--Noreaga :D

eboresow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2006, 5:56 pm

I'm a sophomore in high school. I definitely do not like drinking/smoking. That I do know :D

I dunno what I'm going to do with my life. As far as things are going, I'm not sure if I'll ever live on my own. As far as majors, I've not a clue. I can do math pretty well, as well as chemistry. My main love is music and I would really like to somehow work with autistic kids. Possibly continue studying sign language as well. It's pretty spread out, as you can see. From performing arts to intense math, it's quite diverse.

Quote:
And how close is close

Ummm, I'm not sure. Hopefully I'll be driving by the end of high school. Then somewhere within driving distance of my real home, with my parents. I'm guessing an hour or less by car. I'm not too far from the KC area.

Are community colleges considered fairly small? I know state schools are big.

The only college I've considered so far is KU. although I did take a summer college class at JCCC.

Thank you for taking the time to give advice. It's definitely appreciated.

Quincunx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2006, 6:02 pm

It depends on the community college. Are you AS or autistic? If you are, you may want to think about going into maths - it would probably be best suited for you.

But...if you plan to never live away from home, that can cause some problems in terms of employment...

Let me ask you: do you really want to go to college, or are you just going to college because it's what society expects of you?

Kind regards,
Chris

eboresow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2006, 6:10 pm

Quote:
Are you AS or autistic?

Take your pick :lol: in 5th grade I was PDD-NOS, in 7th grade I was AS, now in hs they just call me autistic. I'm pretty high-functioning in familiar settings.

employment. oh yeah, you get a job when you're in college. definitely haven't thought about that. I currently make a small, negligent income by teaching little kids on musical instruments. normal kids, although a few are very, very hyper and/or ADD. It's very informal.

I definitely want to go to college. :D I love being in school and learning. If it were possible, I'd stay in high school forever. Being around other people who love to learn (that's what happens when you take the harder classes at my school) has been wonderful, and I just know that learning has been the big part of my life - plus all of my social life (what social life?) comes from school.

I honestly don't know what society expects of me.

Quincunx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2006, 6:21 pm

Stay in high school forever? Oh man... I wouldn't mind being a professional college student, but surely not high school.

Maybe dual or triple-major? Then, you can satisfy all your intellectual curiousity?

What society expects from you? You know, that "American Dream" BS?

Kind regards,
Chris

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2006, 8:52 pm

Well, what I would look at is trying to figure out what type of program that you would want to get into. Certain schools are better at certain things. I would also look at schools that have certain qualities that you could consider desirable(location, state-funding, offer scholarship money, etc). You are tackling the college decision thing pretty early; you might not need to address it now though, you will eventually start figuring out what you want more and more and that will help you decide. I would suggest that you live life practically and look at college expenses, you don't want to have massive debt or make your parents pay a lot of money for your college.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2006, 11:37 am

eboresow wrote:
I'm a sophomore in high school. I definitely do not like drinking/smoking. That I do know :D

I dunno what I'm going to do with my life. As far as things are going, I'm not sure if I'll ever live on my own. As far as majors, I've not a clue. I can do math pretty well, as well as chemistry. My main love is music and I would really like to somehow work with autistic kids. Possibly continue studying sign language as well. It's pretty spread out, as you can see. From performing arts to intense math, it's quite diverse.

Quote:
And how close is close

Ummm, I'm not sure. Hopefully I'll be driving by the end of high school. Then somewhere within driving distance of my real home, with my parents. I'm guessing an hour or less by car. I'm not too far from the KC area.

Are community colleges considered fairly small? I know state schools are big.

The only college I've considered so far is KU. although I did take a summer college class at JCCC.

Thank you for taking the time to give advice. It's definitely appreciated.

Why not music therapy for autistic kids???

I guess my best recommendation is to first go to a college which is near-home if you feel uncomfortable with moving. And then get your General Education requirements out of the way at that college/university while you ask around and see what schools would be best for the field you'd inevitably want to get into. Don't feel pressured in having to figure it all out before you get there. Getting your General Education Requirements out of the way will give you time to find out what you want to do and where you need to go to do it. And as for the Gen. Ed. Reqs., you can get those anywhere and for the most part they should transfer to almost any other college. So you can start at one college, get those classes over with, and then go to another college more specialized in what you want to do once you know.

Just don't feel too rushed. You'll figure it out. And there's always plenty of time. College goes a lot slower than you'd think. :)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Mar 2006, 10:27 pm

When I was a Junior in High School I knew what I wanted to do. I always loved helping others out. So, I decided in order to help others out, I was going to major in Special Education and help others who were like me and be a role model for those whom I could relate to. Anyways, I wanted to have something else under my belt, so I thought about Music Therapy because I loved music and I knew I could use my musicianship skills to help out the special ed students. Didn't really work out, but for a long time, that is what I wanted to do.

When I first looked at colleges, I looked at the size of the school, how far away it was, if it had the accommodations that I needed, if the school had my major that I wanted, etc. When I started searching for colleges, I only applied to three, but I looked at four. The fourth one is the college that I transferred to, but at the time of starting off in college, I would've been 8 hours away from my home, and I wasn't ready for that, even if i had family in the area. Anyways, the three that I looked at, one was a private college out of state and was really small, and I didn't like having it be way too small for me. The other two schools were in-state and almost about the same size (between 8,000-11,000). One of them I didn't like because it was in the middle of nowhere, and I didn't like the contemporary style look of the buildings. So, I ended up going to the one school with about 10,000 people and my major, and great accommodations. And I liked the crowdedness in a way and it was away from home, but not so far away. I was about 1 1/2 away.

Now, about the music therapy idea, I think that if you like music a lot and you want to help autistic children, that would be a great thing for you. Feel free to ask me any questions you have about the field because I almost minored in it and I just did a poster and presentation on music therapy for my Intro to Health Services Field class that I'm currently taking so the information is still fresh in my mind. If you want more information, go to www.musictherapy.org