So annoyed by my fellow students in class...

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Skyling
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Feb 2010, 7:49 pm

I love learning in class, but often times the people around me seem like they do not even wish to be there! Whether or not they wish to be, I don't see why they cannot just behave. I hate how people will get in the way of my work, get in the way of the board when I am taking notes without a care, or backtalk the teacher so it takes her TWICE AS LONG to say what he/she was trying to say! And here I am, I always answer questions for the teacher as often as I know them, and they treat me like I'm ret*d, even though the teacher tells me I am quite intelligent and I get great grades!

How am I the ret*d one though, I thought I made perfect sense. Did I not sign up for that class to learn..? Why do I have to feel bad about being enthusiastic to go and learn? Is it such a bad thing? I love taking part in the classroom happenings. I don't even talk to some of these people and they are annoyed by me anyway. I don't understand at all. I know it is very stupid to be upset by all of those little things, but I am. I hate that the place I love is filled with people that hate it and love bothering me. They treat me like I am stupid, I don't much care for it.

Erg1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Feb 2010, 8:35 pm

I'm afraid some people are just like that. I can remember my first day at school and it really felt that school was were I belonged. I couldn't and still can't understand why people don't want to learn.

If you think it's going to bother you, have a word with your teachers or parents and see what can be done. Don't leave it till it is too late or it will be difficult to get yourself out.

Yes the irony of being classed as a ret*d but getting good grades and knowing more than your classmates because we arn't naturally blessed with social skills is an anomaly. The fact that educational establishments go along with it (IMHO) is at best, dissapointing.

Try not to let it get to you and good luck with your studies.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 8:37 pm

I cannot stand some of my fellow students either. In my university biology class, students talk to each other during class, listen to ipods and watch TV on their laptops (with headphones) together. They are so disrespectful and obnoxious. My professor often has to tell students to be quiet or leave the room. It is only a one hour lecture and there are power-point notes online for each lecture. I don't understand why these students bother to come to class if they are not going to even try to listen to the lectures. I sit in the very front row, and there are students right behind me that talk loud enough so that I (and the professor can hear it). Why do these students sit near the front of the room? It is like they are trying to be obnoxious! I was teased (called stupid and ret*d) and treated horribly by these kind of peers in high school. They didn't grow up...and somehow they got into university!! Anyhow...I know how you feel OP!

Descartes30
Toucan
Toucan

23 Feb 2010, 10:27 pm

I totally understand how you feel. It was the same for me through all phases of school; Elementary, Jr High, High, University, Nuclear Power School. So many different types of education but in all it was treated as a good thing to be stupid and to not be there to actually learn. I'd go from someone being pleasant to me so that I would help them understand a concept, to the next day them treating me like a pariah because I scored the top on the test. It was just so ridiculous the levels that some people go to when they fear someone that is more intelligent than they are. So, I wish that I could say it will get better. But I've never been in an environment where people weren't intimidated by intelligence and that they had a genuine desire to learn as much as they possibly could, instead of just waiting for class to be over so they could get drunk.

valkyrieraven88
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Feb 2010, 10:38 pm

I am with you on that. There's this kid in my Historical Inquiry class who sleeps every day. It's a class full of only history majors! It pisses me off that he's just skating by.

My favorite professor is a Korean man who teaches European history and he is the best lecturer I have ever known. He has this thing though. He hates people doing other things in his class. No laptops allowed. You can say you're just taking notes but he knows you're really playing WoW. You do that he will tell you to turn it off. But if you are reading a book, listening to your iPod, sleeping, or doing work for another class, he won't say anything. You will think you've gotten away with it until you realize he counted you absent for that day. One boy I went to class with always was sleeping/texting/on his iPod and one day he went up to ask how he was doing in the class and realized he was counted absent every single day. He yelled at the professor but it made no difference. He failed. I laughed because people like that annoy me.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 11:00 pm

Things that bother me about my peers:
They chat constantly in my FAVORITE class, Advanced Psychology.
They try to sit on my desk while I read or work. Does it get any more egocentric? My space is not theirs, nor is the world their chair.
They give me the "Wow, what a freak" look when I ask super politely for them to stop whichever specific inconsiderate behavior is bothering me.
They try to get me upset while we are supposed to be silently working by asking personal questions.
They blast their music during lectures.
They get mad at me for killing the curve on tests by getting 100%.
I'm honestly not sure why I stand out for not having social skills. I might be so polite I seem cold and disconnected, but surely their rude behavior is worse?

Maranatha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2010, 2:57 am

Sorry to hear that! Don't let it get to you too much, the disruptive kids tend to be less-so as the years go on.
And that's great that you're one of the students who's wanting to learn, keep up the effort and you'll be glad for it in the long-run.

:thumleft:

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 8:48 am

There's always a class with students like that. You just have to try and ignore them although that can sometimes be hard to do. I remember ages ago in my history class when the teacher had to leave the lesson early ( there was no cover teacher because it was a Sixth Firm class). Anyways when she left they just started doing whatever they wanted instead of the work. Some of the boys were speaking and started a really filthy and disgusting conversation. :roll: Anyway I soon had enough and I left the class. No point trying to do work when there's so much noise...
I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I would have thought that in a university/college lecture or class the students would be more likely to work... :lol:

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

leschevalsroses
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2010, 8:58 am

This has made university so frustrating and miserable for me. I'm a education and English major and LOVE learning about both those subjects. I have yet to be in a class where the majority of students even cared a little about the subject. I guess it's not cool to enjoy your classes? Anyway, it makes me so self-conscious because people immediately look at you as a suck-up or overachiever if you express any interest in the class or try to share your views on the subject to the class.

Most of my classes have group work, which usually consists of the the other members of the group sitting around and chatting, and then spending the last minute of the allotted group time pulling together whatever it is we were supposed to be doing with the least amount of time and effort possible.

I seriously don't get it, especially in my Education classes. These people are planning on being a teacher, surely they want to learn as much as possible on the thing that they will be doing for the rest of their life? It makes me feel even more isolated and lost than I usually am with my peers.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 2:22 pm

For the most part, college is just an expensive babysitter for trust-fund babies...

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2010, 2:22 pm

The part that baffles me are the people who are absent in class, listen to music during class, text during class, play games during class, or hold loud conversations that there's no doubt the professor can hear, tend to get higher scores come exam time than I could ever dream of getting even if I retook the classes in question tens of times.

Essentially, here, it's more like students saying, "This material is below me because I can read it in the textbook" rather than "I don't want to learn". But if everyone else just reads the textbook, then what pretense is there for class anymore? Why do we even go to class? I am baffled.