PLEASE HELP ME!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

gypsyRN
Toucan
Toucan

04 Mar 2010, 11:57 pm

ashmeister wrote:
Basically I need help finding a scholarship or financial aid for college. Here are my statistics if you need to know:-

Ethnicity: Tamil Indian
Major: Filmmaking, Cinematic Arts
Type of Loan/Scholarship: Need-based
Religion: Hindu, Sai Baba
Freshmen Year: 2010-2011
Years: 2010 - 2014
College-to-go-to: University of Southern California
My Nationality: Singaporean

Hope that helps. SO PLEASE HELP ME!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

To my knowledge, colleges in the United States do not give out need-based scholarships to international students usually. A lot of our need-based programs are partially tax-funded. It will be difficult for you to get funding. You should look into a college in your country, or contact USC directly. This is not the place for you to look for scholarship help. Also, even if you get loans, they will be HUGE because you are an international student. Do you think you will be able to pay them off as a film-maker? You might be digging a big hole that you will have a VERY hard time getting out of.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 5:32 am

What are the alternatives then for Ashmeister?

gypsyRN
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2010, 1:26 pm

Alternatives:

Go to school in your own country

Get funding to come to school here from your own country

Take out huge loans to cover travel, food, tuition, housing, etc.

Have family pay for your schooling

CALL/EMAIL THE SCHOOL! Talk to international student affairs or the financial aid office.
We are not financial aid officers here. I am a student of the US who got funding to go to school here. Through talking with friends who are/were international students (Syria, Thailand, Taiwan, Japan, India, Pakistan, ... ) I became aware that their education was being funded VERY differently from my own. I know it is easier/safer sounding to ask the people on WP about anything and everything, but in this circumstance, it is really not effective.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 5:52 am

Singapore still has a lack of higher education opportunities. The state only funds higher education to cover for local colleges' fees partially as subsidies, and only awards overseas colleges to the top 30 colleges in United States and the top 7 or so British colleges in UK (as far as I understand) to the most able students. This is why people like me and Ashmeister plan to go overseas and study if we do not get a chance to study here. I do not think USC is the poorer cousin of Singapore's very own colleges and 'polytechnics' --- but I guess less able students in Singapore like me will have to look overseas for better opportunities to do what we want. It could be different for Ashmeister, but yeah.