Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

MU
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jan 2006, 9:54 pm

Does anyone go to a school with visual arts majors and major in one? Painting or other types of media? I am in an illustration major in the Maryland Institute and want to know more people in an art school and their experiences.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2006, 10:46 pm

I went to art school (RISD).

What do you want to know?

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2006, 11:59 pm

I graduated from SCAD last spring and majored in computer art, with an effective minor in painting even though I never bothered to get it on paper.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2006, 3:13 pm

I would like to, but haven't yet. Is it possible (or likely) to get a decent paying job with an art education?

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 2:52 am

I wish... I'm in highschool though, so I couldn't be enrolled in one. But, I do think it would be cool to major in some form of art in college, like music or something. I love the arts; they give a better picture of life to me. They also give me a chance to express my emotion without the use of the social world, and most of the time, in music, you don't have to use facial expression or body language, which is an awesome thing for me.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 5:58 pm

I'm minoring in art but will have about 36 credit hours of art classes by graduation. It's like a major without the art history requirements, muahahahahaha. :twisted: My focus is on 2-D art, especially drawing and painting. But I am a psychology major.

My university isn't specifically an "art school" even though it's got a pretty good art program. I don't know if you want to know specifically about "art schools" or just schools with art programs. If it's the former then I can't really answer. But my experience with the latter has been quite good so far and this semester I am doing Principles of Drawing (a last minute decision) and Figure Drawing. We'll be having our first critique in those classes on Tuesday. :)

(The students in my Figure Drawing class are a bit snobby though and are slightly getting on my nerves. I hope they aren't going to be like that all semester. :? )

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 6:28 pm

I have these unrealistic insane, hopeless and impossible dreams of going to art school. The only problem is that I have no chance of ever getting passing the high school math and science exams I need to graduate high school here in Norway. I'm suspecting I have ADD, as I'm totally unable to concentrate or learn.

nortala
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2006, 9:29 am

this is my school:
http://www.aie.act.edu.au/about/overview.php
I think it might count as an art school, of sorts

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2006, 2:08 pm

Civet wrote:
I went to art school (RISD).

What do you want to know?

pyraxis wrote:
I graduated from SCAD last spring and majored in computer art, with an effective minor in painting even though I never bothered to get it on paper.

i'm thinking of applying to these schools - what are they like?

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2006, 5:53 pm

I have a college diploma in Graphic Design. I tried to make a go of it for some time but had to leave it for lack of being able to make a living.

Having the talent is one thing but what really makes it in that line of work is how good a salesperson you are -or that's what I experienced.

I no longer am pursuing a career in that line but I still do paint, sketch, do some journalling and write poetry for therapy and personal enjoyment.

When I sell anything of my talents, well... it's beer money :wink:

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York