May Be Returning To (Postesecondary)School

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 10:38 pm

So I don't know in how long, but I may be giving college the old "college try"(pun most definately intended) again for journalism. Currently and for I would guess at least the next year, I'm engaged in some language courses, I'm thinking this'll actually be beneficial for me because after I finish my diploma(college) and bachelors(University) for journalism with these languages under my belt I could apply to be an internattional correspondent. Another aspect I like is that the college I'd be attending has transfer/bridging agreement which would allow me to go directly into I think the third or last year of the university degree, provided of course I keep up a 3.0 GPA I think it was,

The only foreseeable drawback is that as a result of a certain course load accomodation bylaw, if I were to start school September next year or even September '12, I wouldn't be graduationg university, that is assuming these bylaws are in place in Ontario universities as well as the colleges, in my mid thirties, if I don't decide to do a masters then I'm probably looking at my early forties. Is that too old to be finishing school and looking to begin your first career?

In case anyone is wondering what the languages are and/or knows where I could access large print format dictionaries, I've already tried Barnes&Noble.com, amazon dots com and ca, chapters.indigo.ca and even Oxford University Press Canada, and no luck, I'm taking french, italian and spanish

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 6:07 pm

Good luck going back! I've been back in for about 3 semesters now and I love it, but it is a grind sometimes thanks to the need to work full time too!

I'd say go for as much schooling as you want! I hope early forties isn't too late to start a career--I'm looking at a master's in education as well as one in History. My goal is to be teaching Western Civ at a sleepy, little JC (preferably near a beach) sometime before my 50th birthday. :D

If you really want it, you can do it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! :wink:

PS
I'm not sure about large print, print editions of dictionaries, but have you considered electronic editions?
I bet you could get them on kendel and you should be able to change to font size to suit...

ottorocketforever
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2010, 11:25 pm

I say go for it! I won't graduate until I'm 30, but good for you! :) It's never too late for anything. :D