SPEDS? Shouldn't we be known as sycos,at least? Why SPEDS?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Wormy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Apr 2007, 5:53 pm

I just got an IQ test in school (I got to skip a class!! !! ! ) and I was told that
I was told that even though I wasn't going to get the results right away,
she was sure that I had a high score!! !! !
It makes me think...
Why are we known as speds,if we are smarter then everyone else?
I mean,we lack social skills,but we can learn them...
Why do movies show autistic people as people who don't know how to speak and use robot voices
and have to have a wheel chair and stuff?Why?
I know,and i'll accept I have aspergers syndrome,but I won't accept im a sped. :shameonyou:
Speds are ret*ds.Speds NEED help.SPEDS ARE STUPID.
I can cook,wash my clothes,clean my room,study,use a computer,watch tv,bla bla bla etc like any other person...SO WHY AM I A SPED? I mean,I don't have any type of accomodations or anything at school... :? Or do I? I haven't noticed anything but people using slow talk on me...
Why are we speds?
Shouldn't Aspergers be a seperate "disorder" instead of a form of autisim?
Why did an episode of CSI show a stupid kid that was supposed to be autistic,and supposely
a high-functioning autistic person like us,saying numbers like 11111 2222 33333,something like that? And why didn't he make eye contact?What kind of autisim did he supposesly have?
It better not be aspergers or i'll go CRAZY!! !! Why did he say all those numbers?
That had NEVER happened to me before,I bet it never happened to any of you guys either.
WHY DO PEOPLE TALK TO US SLOWLY IF WE KNOW MORE THEN THEM?! !!
WE ARE WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY SMARTER!! !! IM GETTING REALLY PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW...

In my opinion,I think aspergers should be a type of personality disorder,you know like
OCPD,DPD,APD...we don't have any mental deficiency...we aren't ret*d...or are we?
Maybe socially ret*d...NOT! I can speak to people,but I have some sort of anxiety,like,I get nervous and stuff,if I don't trust the person well,but,if I get to trust them I can hug them and stuff,but if I don't and people just jump on me (it has happened before,unfourtunetly)
I get uncomfortable.Yep.Maybe that's the autisitic part.Probably...

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 5:57 pm

what is a SPED?

What is a SYCOS?

Sorry, I just don't understand your abbreviations.

Merle

by the way, if you don't like being judged or disrespected why do you disrespect ret*d people?

Last edited by sinsboldly on 11 Apr 2007, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 6:01 pm

SPED probably means 'special ed', or special needs student. She doesn't like being lumped in with those who have Down's Syndrome, general mental retardation, and those with cerebal palsy.

SYCO I think is a simple misspelling of 'psycho', though I am probably wrong....

On sabbatical...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 6:04 pm

I've asked myself the same questions, before I was out of the Education System for good.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 6:04 pm

i know a sped teacher who lisps so it comes out sounding like "schped". maybe you have to hear it to appreciate it.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 6:07 pm

aylissa wrote:
i know a sped teacher who lisps so it comes out sounding like "schped". maybe you have to hear it to appreciate it.

Sounds a bit like the way Sean Connery'd say it... :roll:

On sabbatical...

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 6:08 pm

OK, so if you don't like being called SPED, then I can also assume you don't want any assistance whatsoever. Right, or wrong?

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 6:09 pm

People with cerebral palsy aren't mentally challenged, as a rule. They're very bright folks trapped in a twisted body. At any rate, it's not particularly gracious to call others stupid, when it's no fault of their own.

chairbreak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2007, 6:13 pm

I haven't seen the episode, but I'm guessing that guy was probably supposed to be some sort of mathematical savant, with great skill in mathematics and very little skill elsewhere.

NTs have grown up with the image of "low-functioning" autistics, not people with Asperger's. They think autism means you spend all day rocking back and forth and flapping your hands, or counting toothpicks, or spinning and pacing. They also think that it means you cannot speak, feed yourself, or control your bodily functions. There certainly ARE autistic people who fit this picture, and because it seems so mysterious and strange to NTs, they find it fascinating. They are especially fascinated by the idea of savants, and some of them think that being autistic MEANS you are savant. They get these ideas from TV and the movies.

Unfortunately, few people are as aware of Asperger's syndrome, which is what most of us here have. They don't realize that having autistic traits does not always mean you are ret*d.

Try thinking of autism as a spectrum, where we all fall at different points. At one end are people with low intelligence who require 24 hour care and cannot function normally in society. These people are usually just called "autistic" or "low-functioning autistic". At the other end are people with high intelligence and abilities who are usually said to have Asperger's syndrome or to be "high-functioning autistic". And of course there are people in between: there are people with medium levels of everything, people with high intelligence who still have difficulty caring for themselves, and people with low intelligence who are still able to learn some self-care.

It can be frustrating to have your abilities underestimated. It does help, though, if you try and remember that being mentally ret*d and being a "sped" aren't always the same thing. Plenty of people with normal intelligence need to be in special classes: people who are blind or deaf, people with severe physical problems, etc. Sometimes people who have Asperger's need to be in such a class too, because a normal classroom goes at the wrong pace for them or causes them too much stress, or because the regular education teacher simply has no idea how to handle their problems. So people may see autistic students in special classes, and assume they are mentally ret*d. They also assume this about blind, deaf, and physically disabled people too. It's a problem most people who are different have to deal with.

And of course some people, like yourself, don't need any special accommodations. If people seem to talk "slow" to you or make fun of you, it's because they don't understand what it means to have AS. They don't realize you can be just as smart as them or even much smarter than they are.

I don't think "sped" or "psycho" are words that should be applied to anyone. I'm not sure how old you are, but a lot of kids and teenagers aren't very nice to people who they see as different. And sadly, many teachers aren't educated on things like Asperger's syndrome, so they may treat you unfairly even if they think they are being helpful.

Wormy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Apr 2007, 6:39 pm

I've been doing some research about high-functioning autisim...

"Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton both experienced intense intellectual interests in specific limited areas. Both scientists had trouble reacting appropriately in social situations and had difficulty communicating. Both scientists sometimes became so involved with their work that they did not eat. Newton spoke little and was frequently lukewarm or bad-tempered with the few friends he had. If no one attended his lecture he still lectured to an empty room. When he was 50, Newton suffered a nervous breakdown involving depression and paranoia."

That scares me...we are SO wierd...
Once,I was writing some stupid story when I was 11,12,i don't remember exactly,and I didn't stop,
not even to watch my favorite show that was on it's last episodes...
And once,I was pealing some onions,and I couldn't stop,and I kept on peeling and peeling a whole basket of them... 8O

I feel sorry for Albert Einstein...

"My passionate sense of social justice and social responsibility has always contrasted oddly with my pronounced lack of need for direct contact with other human beings and human communities. I am truly a lone traveler and have never belonged to my country, my home, my friends, or even my immediate family..."

I understand him... :cry: I am a lonley worm and everyone else is soil.
Everyone is grossed out by that worm,and thinks it's wierd.I AM wierd.

Unlike him,I WANT social interaction,I HATE being alone,but im afraid of annoying people and getting in their way,which I might do...I think I might have social phobia.

Wikipedia says that our characteristics are:

*Narrow interests or preoccupation with a subject
Um,I don't know if I have this one....im not obssesed with anything,or am I?
I was once obssesed with anime,then,I guess... now im obssesed with my autisim.

* Repetitive behaviors or rituals

Maybe that kid from CSI had that! You know,the 11112222 stuff...
Haven't happened to me...No,wait,I think I have a habit of eating alot,maybe that is a repetitive
behavior?

*Peculiarities in speech and language

I KNOW for a fact that I have this one...My sister says I use too much formal words,like
in spanish,I say "embarazoso" instead of vergonsozo,or verguenza,which is what you usually use...

* Extensive logical/technical patterns of thought

Like the way im talking right now? In an extensive matter?
Well,I do think alot...

*Socially and emotionally inappropriate behavior and interpersonal interaction

I wish they would be more specific...
I don't burp or chew with my mouth open...

Wormy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Apr 2007, 6:49 pm

I guess I got carried away...

*Quatermass is right,I miss-spelled psyco...

*TruenoBlues,Im sorry... :( I DO want assistence,that's why im here...

*YowlingCat, sorry,your absolutely right.It makes me think about what my mom says:
"Treat others the way you want to be treated"

*Chairbreak,thanks for understanding me...Sorry for using the word pysco and sped...

Wormy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Apr 2007, 6:53 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
what is a SPED?

What is a SYCOS?

Sorry, I just don't understand your abbreviations.

Merle

by the way, if you don't like being judged or disrespected why do you disrespect ret*d people?

SORRY!! !! :cry:

Wormy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Apr 2007, 7:18 pm

People are mad and I can feel it... :(

I said I was sorry...What else can I do?
I mean it.

Aren't people gonna reply? :(

chairbreak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2007, 7:33 pm

The people who posted earlier may not be actively browsing this forum at the moment. They're not necessarily mad at you, just doing other things right now.

Wormy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Apr 2007, 7:42 pm

Well,yeah,duh... :roll:
didn't think of that...

Wormy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Apr 2007, 7:59 pm

By the way,im not in a special ed class...