Is 23 years old too old to go back to college and.....

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 8:20 pm

make a career?

yes or no?

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 8:28 pm

I just started back in college, and I'm 31.

So, no.

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 8:39 pm

There isn't any real age limit. I was 27 when I went to college and graduated in a bit more than 3 years, but then I went to summer school too. Some people even go back when they are in their 60's!

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 8:41 pm

Of course not. In college there is no age limit. I just finished my Master's at the age of 31, and some people take even longer than that for Bachelor's degrees.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

ElfMusic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Aug 2010, 10:06 pm

Certainly not too old, if that's what you want to do. Many universities and colleges have organizations for students starting at older ages.

I'm 36, and still hoping to return for a Master's degree some day.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 10:16 pm

i went to uni when i was 25. i didn't even have a high school diploma - i went as a non-matriculated student. it was a very good idea - it changed my entire outlook on life. it sorta cracked my brain open and let stuff in, i'd say.

good luck, if you decide to go!

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 10:27 pm

No I know people who didn't go until they were 24 or 25.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 11:02 pm

I wouldn't count on college to give you a "career". Everyone I know that's graduated from college in the past 3 years is either a) unemployed or b) working for minimum wage. So if you're going there to get a job, at least choose a technical field like engineering (but even engineers are being outsourced now). Otherwise there's no point, because you'll just end up $30K in debt and still be jobless.

Keep vocational and trade school as options. With the flux in baby boomers, EMTs are becoming more in demand. However, you do need to be pretty strong for that... Trades are also good moneymakers, especially if you go union. It's hard work, and some of it can be dangerous, but you can easily make $75K/year

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 10:09 am

Cyanide wrote:
I wouldn't count on college to give you a "career". Everyone I know that's graduated from college in the past 3 years is either a) unemployed or b) working for minimum wage. So if you're going there to get a job, at least choose a technical field like engineering (but even engineers are being outsourced now). Otherwise there's no point, because you'll just end up $30K in debt and still be jobless.

+1

Age itself isn't a problem, but I've always told people that age discrimination starts at 30 and gets worse.

Employers either want someone young and naive who will sacrifice everything for the job or someone who has proven themselves with accomplishments. Going to college later in life is fine if you're employed and moderately successful. If you have nothing to prove yourself, all education does is put you in debt then dump you into a labor pool full of people who've got similar or better credentials who have been looking for a good job longer than you have.

I know that sounds really negative, but debt is the worst kind of oppression you can live under. It steals so much from your quality of life, and the idea that you'll graduate and get a great job is laughable...even before 2000. Only people with specialized skills that are hard to find get good jobs out of college...that, or someone got the job for them. They are very much the minority.

Yung-Warrior-85
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Aug 2010, 10:28 am

Hearing you ask if 23 yrs old is too old is like a joke to me, b/c I'm 24 and have been in college since I graduated highschool.

No it's not too old. If anything you not going back to college and trying to better your life based on you assuming that others would think you are too old would be dumb. (no offense...I mean this in a joking and lighthearted way) :wink:

It's never too late to accomplish goals or do something for yourself that you think will better your life like going to college. Other people that are in college will care less. I've seen old adults who are taking classes b/c they feel they have to b/c of the economy. I literally worked with a guy who I looked up to and respected who had to be atleast in his late 40's, had kids and a wife and knew he had to go back and get his education....b/c he knew that he wanted better for himself. When me and him talked during work I was 22 and in college and he took online classes. He told me he would study for like 8 hours a day and then go to work in the late shift. I really looked up to this guy b/c he was the type of guy who didn't take crap from anybody and didn't care what others thought about him....he was smart and did what he had to do. He wasn't popular, but people didn't look down on him.

I've seen people of all ages attend college courses...they do it b/c they all want better for themselves. I'm 24 and planning to move to the dorms so that I can be more focused on school.

No your not too old. If anything.....the longer you wait to go back to school, the more you'd be doing yourself harm.

"Is 23 years old too old to go back to college"......good one. :lmao:

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 10:45 am

Yung-Warrior-85 wrote:
Hearing you ask if 23 yrs old is too old is like a joke to me, b/c I'm 24 and have been in college since I graduated highschool.

No it's not too old. If anything you not going back to college and trying to better your life based on you assuming that others would think you are too old would be dumb. (no offense...I mean this in a joking and lighthearted way) :wink:

It's never too late to accomplish goals or do something for yourself that you think will better your life like going to college. Other people that are in college will care less. I've seen old adults who are taking classes b/c they feel they have to b/c of the economy. I literally worked with a guy who I looked up to and respected who had to be atleast in his late 40's, had kids and a wife and knew he had to go back and get his education....b/c he knew that he wanted better for himself. When me and him talked during work I was 22 and in college and he took online classes. He told me he would study for like 8 hours a day and then go to work in the late shift. I really looked up to this guy b/c he was the type of guy who didn't take crap from anybody and didn't care what others thought about him....he was smart and did what he had to do. He wasn't popular, but people didn't look down on him.

I've seen people of all ages attend college courses...they do it b/c they all want better for themselves. I'm 24 and planning to move to the dorms so that I can be more focused on school.

No your not too old. If anything.....the longer you wait to go back to school, the more you'd be doing yourself harm.

"Is 23 years old too old to go back to college"......good one. :lmao:

yeah, i agree with this. and it isn't just about jobs - it's also about gaining a better understanding of how the world works, associating with new people, learning a new way of thinking, etc.

college and university education helps people to become better critical thinkers, more open-minded, etc.... for 5 years i worked in my field after graduation, and now i don't. i work in a lower-level job that doesn't even require any education beyond high school. i may never completely pay off my student loans. but i would never regret the experience i got from uni.

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 11:05 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

+1

Age itself isn't a problem, but I've always told people that age discrimination starts at 30 and gets worse.

Employers either want someone young and naive who will sacrifice everything for the job or someone who has proven themselves with accomplishments. Going to college later in life is fine if you're employed and moderately successful. If you have nothing to prove yourself, all education does is put you in debt then dump you into a labor pool full of people who've got similar or better credentials who have been looking for a good job longer than you have.

I know that sounds really negative, but debt is the worst kind of oppression you can live under. It steals so much from your quality of life, and the idea that you'll graduate and get a great job is laughable...even before 2000. Only people with specialized skills that are hard t
o find get good jobs out of college...that, or someone got the job for them. They are very much the minority.

Honestly, I am getting my butt back in school to GET a better career.

I don't know. I guess it really depends on how in demand the field is. However, it looks like if I bust my butt, I can make it before 30.

Also, I am going for a medically oriented field. I am not going to just screw around. I WANT a career.

I should clarify that my objective is NOT to get a good job....but rather a mediocre job.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 2:27 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

+1

I know that sounds really negative, but debt is the worst kind of oppression you can live under. It steals so much from your quality of life, and the idea that you'll graduate and get a great job is laughable...even before 2000. Only people with specialized skills that are hard to find get good jobs out of college...that, or someone got the job for them. They are very much the minority.

*sob* this is all true.

I have a BA honors, and I'm a pipefitter at a mine. I might get more technical training in my field, but I will never go back to waste more $ and years of my life in University. What was said about people who graduate and then "someone got the job for them" is very true too. Lots of kids are hooked up through family. What you know means little. Who you know means everything.

I agree with the age thing too. In your 20's you have the years of potential on your side, in your 30's+ you don't. In your 30's+ they look for a list of accomplishments on your resume, credentials are just the bare minimum.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 11:36 pm

1) I also agree....I am turning 26 and just entering my fourth and hopefully final year of my BA. I began my degree when I was 18 with no motivation or interest in what I was studying and I did not do very well. After taking a couple years off I returned when I was 24, switched my major to something I was more interested in and have been doing very well since then. You are practically still a baby......23 years old... ...you should definitely go back!

"Is 23 years old too old to go back to college"......good one. :lmao:[/quote]
yeah, i agree with this. and it isn't just about jobs - it's also about gaining a better understanding of how the world works, associating with new people, learning a new way of thinking, etc.

college and university education helps people to become better critical thinkers, more open-minded, etc.... for 5 years i worked in my field after graduation, and now i don't. i work in a lower-level job that doesn't even require any education beyond high school. i may never completely pay off my student loans. but i would never regret the experience i got from uni.[/quote]

2) This is very true...this is about your life, not just your career, and education has intrinsic value, whether you see it now or not.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 2:20 am

hyperlexian wrote:

college and university education helps people to become better critical thinkers, more open-minded, etc....

It baffles me how people still think this... College has to be the most mind-numbing, intellectually stuffy, "think inside the box" place I have ever been subjected to (2nd only to K-12 education :lol: ). You're never encouraged to challenge the status quo, or express your own opinion. Actually, often the case is that you'll be mocked/ridiculed/given a bad grade if you dare go against the glorious, Democrat-voting (yes, a vast majority are Democrat), holier-and-better-than-thou professor.

Education quality is pretty poor. Professors are researchers, not teachers, so most of them don't give a crap about you. I'm an Econ major, and all I've learned about are impractical (and some BS in my opinion) theories that have no bearing on the real world. That's not worth the $15K of debt I've gotten so far.

Here's an article I found: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00701.html
The highlights from it:
- Only 31% of college graduates can read a complex book and extrapolate from it.
- Many college grads are too dumb to even comprehend a table of data (such as a side-by-side of blood pressure and exercise)
- Only 31% of college grads can even comprehend information from short texts

So not only is college terrible for getting you a job, it can't even educate correctly...

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 12:29 pm

(BOIT)

Of course not, AspieGuy. I don't see an age limit.