Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

impeachgod
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2006, 1:28 pm

Is the program (or whatever it's called) in your school too slow or easy? For example, in Algebra, we've been working for almost *two weeks* on factoring quadratic equations. Worst was art: due to some kind of reorganization, I (and some other 13 y.o. kids) was placed in the same class as the 11 year olds.

I have to get back to work now, I'll add some more info if I can.

P.S. The private school I go to does not have grades but uses ages instead.

Andy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 May 2006, 2:36 pm

i always hated school.

by age fourteen i only went to school because i knew it was
necessary for me to have social exposure. although i really
did like orchestra class.

i still learned alot of stuff but i didn't learn it from school.
college is better because they don't waste your time so much.

i don't know what the problem with ordinary public school is
but whatever country you're in it doesn't seem public school
is aspie friendly. maybe there are exceptions - but i havn't
found any yet.

the popular approach for teaching in school seems to have
lots of repeating over and over again long after the subject
is learned. i guess neurotypicals need this repetition to
understand maybe? it is both boring and a waste of time.
i would get frustrated and my ability to learn would diminish
because instead of learning i would be wasting my time.

good luck.

Elanivalae
Raven
Raven

12 May 2006, 4:06 pm

God, I hated school. My district was red-flagged for doing a terrible job; their solution to this problem was to eliminate almost all the gifted classes and force the intelligent students to essentially help teach in the regular classes, which suddenly all required group-work. Since the group-members all got the same grades, the only way we could do well was to either hold up the group's entire weight or motivate the regular kids into actually working.

I figured out that school was going to be useless to me fairly early on, especially when it became clear that the teachers didn't want to teach and the students didn't want to learn. I wanted to just take my GED and skip ahead to college when I took my SATs in seventh grade, but I wasn't allowed to even skip a grade on the premise that it would "stunt my social development". So basically I'd do my assignments as quickly as possible and spend the rest of the time I could reading real books (the most advanced AP English class in my high school read "Catcher in the Rye" during the last semester of senior year), take the independent study courses I could get with teachers who let me work at my pace, and as soon as the state laws allowed, I spent half the day taking drafting and language courses at a nearby university campus instead, though my parents had to fight the high school tooth and nail to get them to acquiesce on that point.

The school was willing to make every accomodation in the world for learning disabilities and remedial classes, but if you were ahead of grade level, you were totally screwed. And people wonder why I'm bitter. *shakes head*

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2006, 10:24 am

Some classes are too slow.
Some are too fast.

PeppaPig
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jun 2006, 7:34 pm

I understand things quickly, but then I need time to remember them, so the pace at my school is OK. My primary school was reaaally slow though, especially in math (that's why I switched). I distinctly remember being hungry in math class because the were so boring (I think there was some relation. Or maybe I'm just mad).

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2006, 5:59 am

A lot of the stuff in the education system is not neccesarily about acquiring knowledge as much as skill development.

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2006, 4:28 pm

I know exactly what you mean. For me, it was in Algebra II/Trigonometry, which combined both subjects into one year. It was the most advanced mathematics class I could take at that level, but it went so incredibly slowly. I would be gone for weeks at a time and come back and STILL be ahead of the class. Same thing for chemistry. In fact, if it weren't for the assignments we have to do in all the classes, I probably could've gone to school once a month and still made very good grades (heck, I practically did that and got 'B's...it's a good thing the teachers liked me and saw that I was making effort, or else they could've flunked me purely on the grounds of missing more than 15 days from each class). Still, it was hard to make the arrangements to make up all those tests.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat