Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Albinoboy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Sep 2010, 11:59 am

School have scheduled a fire drill for tomorrow.
I really really really really REALLY loath fire drills.
The bell is like a knife through the head.
And George Abbot love sticking the bells nice and low and lots of and small corridors and... well you get the idea.

Nice that they give me a little warning though, be nicer if they actually told me a minute before the bell so I could cover my ears.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 1:33 pm

I feel for you!

I have a class where I have to cover my ears every day because the teacher wants people to rearrange desks and no one has the courtesy to actually pick their desk up to move it so there's lots of scraping and squeaking and just awful noises that make me nauseated if I don't cover my ears. And I wish everyone would just do it all at once but they do it in stages and then the teacher starts talking while they're still moving desks and I can't hear what she's saying, even if I weren't covering my ears.

And the sickening sound of desk moving is NOTHING compared to the awful piercing death sound of a fire drill. Best wishes to you for tomorrow. at least it will be good when it's finally done and over with and you can stop anticipating it.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Albinoboy

15 Sep 2010, 3:45 pm

Well, if I'm lucky, I might miss it as I have a hospital appointment in the morning.
But I bet £20 (roughly $40) that I will be there when it goes off.
(Uh, I mean, I'll bet £0, which is exactly $0! What a grand number :P)

I just noticed, $0 looks like SO.

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2010, 5:06 pm

Used to always purposely be the last one to leave the classroom or dormitory.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 4:50 am

Lol your title made me laugh.

I can't stand fire drills. I normally get told in advance if there's a fire drill so I'll leave beforehand so I guess I'm lucky as I don't have to put up with it. 8)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 5:46 am

The principal's office agreed to call my son down before a scheduled fire drill so he can be right by the door when it rings. He goes through a lot of anxiety anticipating a fire drill otherwise. They did this in elementary school and last year for his first year of junior high. This year they agreed but want him to "work on it".

Albinoboy

16 Sep 2010, 11:07 am

Oh wonderful, they could have done it in lessons 1 or 2 (while I was away at the hospital) but no, they set it off in lesson 4.

At least it meant we all had an early lunch...

Narwhal

16 Sep 2010, 9:21 pm

Albinoboy wrote:
Oh wonderful, they could have done it in lessons 1 or 2 (while I was away at the hospital) but no, they set it off in lesson 4.

At least it meant we all had an early lunch...

That is SO disappointing.
At my school, I noticed that it was always done the second Wednesday of the year between 9:00 and 10:00, so I could always skip it.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 11:59 pm

UGGGGGGGG ya i hate fire drills......I would just stay home for the day if you think you can afford to miss that amount of class.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 1:09 pm

Oh man, I hear you. I hate fire drills. In high school we had one every month and it was loud. I mean it was ridiculously loud; even the NTs who like pep rallies and other noisy things hated the fire drill bell. I had a lot of anxiety about it. I was always on edge if we hadn't had that month's fire drill yet, because I knew it could happen at any minute. If we got right up to the end of the month without a drill, I'd be an absolute wreck because I knew it was coming. During my senior year, one of my teachers was kind enough to tell me when all the future drills would be, right down to the minute. In college we have one fire drill per term, and my RA says they're very loud. So now I've got to talk to the disability services people about being warned about the fire drills...hopefully we don't have the fall term one before I get all my documentation submitted.

ddrapayo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2010, 6:29 pm

We're supposedly having fire drills in my residence hall, but they're happening in the afternoon when I'm usually not here anyway. Today though, the fire alarm went off while I was at the Center for Students with Disabilities. We don't think it was a drill because we had to get police clearance to go back in, but we're not sure. Anyway, I did react a bit awkwardly, but I was in CSD at the time so they understood. Anywhere else might have pissed people off.

anarchybovine
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2010, 9:13 pm

At my high school, they warn the students that there is going to be a fire drill.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 6:27 pm

anarchybovine wrote:
At my high school, they warn the students that there is going to be a fire drill.

They did that at my elementary school. The entire school was just completely remodeled, and we also got a brand new alarm system. They main reason they did that was because of how obnoxiously loud it was. It sounded like a cricket on steroids, and it had flashing strobe lights to top it all off.

chainsawswinger

17 Oct 2010, 1:50 pm

I'm an NT and I also *hated* fire drills. And so did about 1/4 of the students, who indeed held their ears whilst walking past the bells in the hallway. :wink:

Just think, if it really *was* a dangerous fire, you'd NEED to be jolted the hell out of there. Or you're toast.

(sorry, tasteless joke. :lol: )

http://www.qoou.net

tyuiop159
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Oct 2010, 2:28 pm

I loath fire drills. We have fire drills once a week at my school, and it's horrible. The sound is like a screeching animal. It makes me want to crawl into a ball and just shut down until it's over

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 7:25 pm

Whenever the fire alarm goes off, I usually have these really funny reactions like I literally jump out of my seat. It's like they are so loud that you want to run out of the building as soon as you can!