Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 9:04 pm

Anyone else find that they have difficulty finding a balance of not being lazy in school and at the same time not stressed out? Everytime I try hard, I tend to get stressed out and then I tell myself "relax" then the next thing you know that happens is I get lazy and procrastinate again.

Is hard-working in school just not for some people?

Texaveryjr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Nov 2010, 1:33 pm

I guess it just depends on what you like doing most at school.

I used to get very stressed out with the handwriting at my school, but that was when I ironicly had to repeat my skipped year at that time. >.<

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 10:34 pm

I found that what worked were these things:

1. Feel stressed. Work anyway.

2. Set up a timetable for when you have to work, set goals for what work you want to get done, and stick to it religously.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 12:07 am

Same here!! !!

Idk what to do, sorry.
Thanks for validation though. :D

Jukilum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2010, 12:19 am

I think that the best thing to do in this situation is to let your (and by your I don't mean anyone specifically, just people in general) teacher know what is going on. Alternately, my parents will talk to teachers about my asperger's for me before I talk to them about it. If your teacher knows that you have a problem with, for example, heavy workloads or large amounts of homework, you can try to work something out to help make things work. Maybe you don't have to have all of your assignments turned in when everyone else does, or you don't need to do "busywork" assignments.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2010, 5:48 pm

I'm having the exact same problem, but didn't really know how to describe it. I procrastinate and do stuff with friends instead of work, then I get super stressed (which makes me have horrible headaches) so it's hard for me do to my work. It's just one big cycle.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 2:43 am

From my experience, procrastination can make you even more stressed. What you might try is to at least do all of the assigned work right after class, while your mind is still at it. I've found that it's much easier to bring myself to do the work that way. Plus, later on, I somehow find it much easier to bring myself to do the work for that particular class. Everything just becomes clearer in my head since I've had more time to think about it and to work through it mentally.

I have a much more unmanageable problem lately: sleep. I hyperfocus on my work for hours, which really gets me thinking about whatever I am studying. However, once I stop studying, my mind still keeps going. So as a result, I usually cannot go to sleep until 3 AM lately. Since my earliest class is at 10:30 AM, I have to get up early, and then I feel half-sleepy in class which really keeps me from being able to participate in class to my full potential. Then, I come home, and I crash, sometimes sleeping for 3 or 4 hours.

Maybe I should make a note not to schedule my classes so early anymore. But then I worry that I will just become a nighthawk, which is not good either, because I will be awake at the time when all of the shops and the restaurants are closed. So I will be starving and will be unable to buy anything I might need. :(

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.