Problem This Morning - Help Is Needed!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 8:14 am

Okay, so right before my 8:00 AM class I had a minor meltdown (just a little too much frustration about random stuff) and between that and feeling sick, I didn't feel up to class. After class, my professor came up to me saying that she was angry with me for being at the school and not going to class and that she was going to Q and drop me from the class, then walked off without giving me time to explain. That sent me into a full blown meltdown (thank god one of my friends was around) that I'm still coming out of.

Help and advice is greatly needed.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 9:41 am

musicislife wrote:
Okay, so right before my 8:00 AM class I had a minor meltdown (just a little too much frustration about random stuff) and between that and feeling sick, I didn't feel up to class. After class, my professor came up to me saying that she was angry with me for being at the school and not going to class and that she was going to Q and drop me from the class, then walked off without giving me time to explain. That sent me into a full blown meltdown (thank god one of my friends was around) that I'm still coming out of.

Help and advice is greatly needed.

Wow, 8am is early...

Is this the first time you haven't turned up to class or is it a regular occurance? Unfortunately, your professor seems to have a chip on her shoulder about attendance (I imagine her early class isn't too popular with anyone, and she sounds a bit of a b****) so you will just have to turn up from now on or risk being failed.

If you are genuinely sick, get a letter from your GP: she won't be able to kick you out if you have medical 'proof', although if you miss too many classes, they may have grounds to make you repeat that part of the course.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear. I'm sure someone will suggest going to disability services and kicking up a fuss and playing the autism card; that's up to you but to me, a 'minor meltdown' and not feeling completely well wouldn't be grounds for not turning up to a mandatory course. As I said, if you're genuinely sick, you can always get a doctor's note (even after the event).

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 8:18 pm

I have missed a few classes lately, but that was for reasons beyond my control (my grandmother passed away). And by "not feeling well" I meant the beginnings of a fever and a very upset stomach. She was less upset about me missing the class than missing the class while I was already at the college; what she didn't know and I didn't get to explain was that I had been in the bathroom with the dry heaves when class officially started. I should have gone home then, but I made a dumb move and stayed.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 1:02 pm

musicislife wrote:
I have missed a few classes lately, but that was for reasons beyond my control (my grandmother passed away).

I'm sorry to hear about your gran :(

Quote:
And by "not feeling well" I meant the beginnings of a fever and a very upset stomach. She was less upset about me missing the class than missing the class while I was already at the college; what she didn't know and I didn't get to explain was that I had been in the bathroom with the dry heaves when class officially started. I should have gone home then, but I made a dumb move and stayed.

Yeah, you maybe should have gone home. You weren't to know though,

Not totally sure, but it looks as if from her perspective, it's not just that you missed her class but that you didn't just miss it because you were a typical 'lazy student bum' who fancied a lie in but because (in her eyes) you were actually hard at studying in college and 'clearly thought her lecture was a waste of time; if she's the type to take every little thing personally, she might have taken this as a personal affront to her teaching.

She shouldn't have jumped to conclusions (and my opinion of her hasn't changed in the slightest), but I guess from now on you will need to make a really strong effort to show up or get a note. Unfortunately she'll probably be keeping an eye out for you now :(