Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 9:26 pm

I am SO close to ending my college education-I've got 7 more classes,but I am just DONE with it.It's totally unfulfilling for me at this point, I don't really care and am not happy.I feel like I mainly doing it to please my family,a family of professors,PhDs and people who think just because they have a degree they know everything.
UGH

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2011, 11:50 pm

Every semester college brings me one step closer to killing myself. I don't say that with humor. Its true.

I learn a lot more when I am not in school and don't have the many physical sideaffects of ridiculous amounts of stress.

I said recently that I think it could be possible to get PTSD from school.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 7:00 am

Merculangelo wrote:
Every semester college brings me one step closer to killing myself. I don't say that with humor. Its true.

I learn a lot more when I am not in school and don't have the many physical sideaffects of ridiculous amounts of stress.

I said recently that I think it could be possible to get PTSD from school.

8O Hey, don't literally kill yourself over college, that would really suck. If it is stressful enough to cause trauma, then perhaps taking a break from college is in order.

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2011, 8:44 pm

Agreed. Equally annoying is when you're having trouble in college and need help, and people there look down on you and think you're a slacker or something. And everything is about how smart you look on paper, not how smart (or dumb) you actually are. The costs are irritating and I keep getting lost on campus...going to class. I actually learn more when I don't go to an overcrowded lecture hall and stare at powerpoints having nothing to do with test material.

I honestly hate college (or maybe just this school/city). I love to learn but there's way too much red tape involved to actually enjoy it.

Also: TV lies!! ! You don't go to college and make a bunch of friends and join a Greek House and get laid by the quarterback even though you're the nerdy freak but it's ok because he's actually really smart and stand up to the toughest professor during finals to get an A and change your political ideology to piss off your parents and smoke weed with Philosophy majors...worse than learning there's no Santa...

Rich_P
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2011, 7:26 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

I think that after a few more cycles of students graduating from college unemployed, having massive debt, and being over-qualified for most work along with their own field of hyper-specialization already being filled, that eventually having a college degree will be a criterion for being considered a "dumbass" rather than a disqualification criterion for such a diagnosis thereof. I hope eventually the educational system might be reformed to shift the focus upon such matters important to education as educating and placing the emphasis upon the student's mastery of subjects rather than the college's mastery of marketing statistics.

Change College for Uni and now you're describing the UK's situation. :lol:

The stereotypical issue for people in the UK is the same. People who are at Uni look down (or did till very recently) on those who did not or are not going to Uni, until they finish and find themselves struggling for a job with a degree in media psychologyphilosphysociallyarts. It was a clever way of reducing unemployment figures from the last run of Government by sending anyone and everyone to Uni. Now we've got a backlog of graduates who are no use but expect decent jobs for their worthless degree. :roll:

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 6:01 pm

leeloodallas wrote:
Agreed. Equally annoying is when you're having trouble in college and need help, and people there look down on you and think you're a slacker or something. And everything is about how smart you look on paper, not how smart (or dumb) you actually are. The costs are irritating and I keep getting lost on campus...going to class. I actually learn more when I don't go to an overcrowded lecture hall and stare at powerpoints having nothing to do with test material.

I honestly hate college (or maybe just this school/city). I love to learn but there's way too much red tape involved to actually enjoy it.

Also: TV lies!! ! You don't go to college and make a bunch of friends and join a Greek House and get laid by the quarterback even though you're the nerdy freak but it's ok because he's actually really smart and stand up to the toughest professor during finals to get an A and change your political ideology to piss off your parents and smoke weed with Philosophy majors...worse than learning there's no Santa...

haha....i hate those tv shows><

o and college too

I feel like it's thought manipulation...=/

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 6:13 pm

liveandletdie wrote:
leeloodallas wrote:

haha....i hate those tv shows><

o and college too

I feel like it's thought manipulation...=/

It is thought manipulation, otherwise known as marketing. The constant influx of "you need college" "college is so great" "you need college" "college is so great" throughout years of television and almost all other media follows near directly from the maxim of "Say it long enough, loud enough, and often enough and the people will believe it." I know not whether it is intentional or if it is merely decades of expressed real opinions rather than pure marketing, but the effect is basically that of indoctrination via peripheral osmosis. Everyone everywhere keeps talking about how wonderful it is, therefore it must be wonderful. Everyone everywhere keeps talking about how important it is, therefore it must be important. I hate that kind of "go with the flow" crap.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 12:23 am

Likely a mixture of both. However I mean the act of going, I am taking english this quarter. And the teacher is totally trying to manipulate how I write, into his style- it's not always this way in classes but it can often be. Certainly was at my last school before I switched and this is the first time it certainly has been at my new school. Very frustrating, I don't want to write like him because his writing is so drab and zombie like.

Also going through all of these classes and being subjected to this forced comformation of style by the end of it I think it would be impossible not to have some kind of decline in originality and I think it weakens our innovative side.

I am going to finish my associates...but after that I am not so sure.

(also it's such a huge obligation so once your into it, you kind of have to finish it or they make it seem that way with the huge costs.)

Andie09
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2011, 10:14 am

Well, I love college. Sure, there are some parts that are not so great...but that's anything in life. I love the challenge and I enjoy learning new things. So what if you have to take a few courses that don't exactly fit your interests. Going to school is all about making yourself a more well rounded person.

Just remember while you're complaining about your college there are plenty of people that would love to have your spot and the opportunities that you have.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 10:19 am

I'd love it if college was actually challenging, but it's not. College is merely expensive, but it is not a challenge.

Andie09
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2011, 1:32 pm

Difficulty level depends a lot on the college you're attending and the personal goals you set for yourself. I think its a bit of a stretch to say that ALL colleges are easy and non-challenging. Sure, there are some people who don't need school and thats fine, but for the majority I think there is a college out there that is a good match for individual interests and abilities...provided you have the money to pay (now thats a whole other story)...

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 4:20 pm

Andie09 wrote:
Difficulty level depends a lot on the college you're attending and the personal goals you set for yourself. I think its a bit of a stretch to say that ALL colleges are easy and non-challenging. Sure, there are some people who don't need school and thats fine, but for the majority I think there is a college out there that is a good match for individual interests and abilities...provided you have the money to pay (now thats a whole other story)...

The money may be a whole other story, but it is part of the same issue. A college, like any other business, has rigid policies and rare exceptions occurring depending upon the people you happen to be a student under. The cost of college is way too much for the challenge they provide. For the same price of a 4 credit hour class at $500 per credit hour, $2,000 that is, a person could easily purchase the textbook and all the materials and supplies for probably half of that. Or they could purchase around 10 to 20 high quality textbooks on the subjects of their choice for the cost of a single class.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 6:21 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
The cost of college is way too much for the challenge they provide. For the same price of a 4 credit hour class at $500 per credit hour, $2,000 that is, a person could easily purchase the textbook and all the materials and supplies for probably half of that. Or they could purchase around 10 to 20 high quality textbooks on the subjects of their choice for the cost of a single class.

$500/credit hour? Which school did you go to?

Community college is a great way to take the first two years-worth of college classes at a fraction of the cost of 4-year schools. WA CC tuition for residents is ~$87/credit hour, while in CA it's under $30/credit hour.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 9:20 pm

Stinkypuppy wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
The cost of college is way too much for the challenge they provide. For the same price of a 4 credit hour class at $500 per credit hour, $2,000 that is, a person could easily purchase the textbook and all the materials and supplies for probably half of that. Or they could purchase around 10 to 20 high quality textbooks on the subjects of their choice for the cost of a single class.

$500/credit hour? Which school did you go to?

Community college is a great way to take the first two years-worth of college classes at a fraction of the cost of 4-year schools. WA CC tuition for residents is ~$87/credit hour, while in CA it's under $30/credit hour.

even at the community college level it's expensive....
$1200 per quarter if your taking 15 credits then it goes up from there.....(WA)
$4600 per year+ if you take summer classes will be more.

Nothing compared to a university but still...

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 9:28 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I'd love it if college was actually challenging, but it's not. College is merely expensive, but it is not a challenge.

Agreed.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 1:07 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Zokk wrote:
If you hate college, you're at the wrong one. That's how I see it, anyway.

How would one find the right one without wasting a whole lot of money in the process?

Choose carefully before they make a decision. That's what I did. A lot of schools will pay for transportation to come visit, waive application fees, etc for you to come check out their school.

And OP, I'm sorry that you feel like no college degree leads to no marriage. Personally I don't think that's true, but do whatever you've got to do. I'm in college right now and I absolutely love it, but I looked at a few schools and chose very carefully :)