WHAT IS EVERYONE"S THOUGHTS ON LIBERAL ARTS COLLEGE?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

The_Green_Ego
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2011, 8:07 pm

Did the hippies actually get something right for a change? A college without grades or required classes! Being an aspy, i had a rather impossible journey through school. As if the school system was deliberately trying to make the classes impossible so that i would give up. After years of up to 8 hrs. worth of homework and studying per night, I eventually gave up and started doing a half ass job. But imagine a world where a student actually gets to choose his education! I found out because, Matt Groening, the Simpsons creator, went to a liberal arts college - which proves that success can be found at a liberal arts college.

To me this is a godsend. Of course everything has its pros and cons, such as higher price, and do degree. So i'd like to know everyone else's thoughts on the matter.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 8:30 pm

I read a bit about it but... it doesn't sound like its much of a difference when it comes to having your performance evaluated. If anything I'd consider it more stressful since your pass/fail is determined by three teacher's evaluation of your performance and work. In short it'd be more socializing dependent.

Hopefully someone here has been through this system and can provide better insight.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 9:30 pm

The_Green_Ego wrote:
Did the hippies actually get something right for a change? A college without grades or required classes! Being an aspy, i had a rather impossible journey through school. As if the school system was deliberately trying to make the classes impossible so that i would give up. After years of up to 8 hrs. worth of homework and studying per night, I eventually gave up and started doing a half ass job. But imagine a world where a student actually gets to choose his education! I found out because, Matt Groening, the Simpsons creator, went to a liberal arts college - which proves that success can be found at a liberal arts college.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I went to a liberal arts college. You earned grades unless you opted to "audit" a class (take it for no credit...which most any college allows). If you didn't maintain a given GPA, you could lose your ability to get financial aid/loans for your tuition.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 12:55 am

The_Green_Ego wrote:

To me this is a godsend. Of course everything has its pros and cons, such as higher price, and do degree. So i'd like to know everyone else's thoughts on the matter.

Interesting........................can you earn a BA degree from these colleges or only associates?

samuraiBSD

14 Mar 2011, 3:08 am

I'm going to a liberal arts college right now. We have grades, curricula, professors and (unfortunately) due dates. You can get a full Bachelor's degree and higher here (there's a grad school attached). I'm here for Sociology and Computer Science, but there are people here for Pre Med tracks, Pre Law, Chem, Bio and of course all the social sciences and humanities. There's art people too, obviously, but they don't make up the entire school.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 6:07 am

I went to a small liberal arts college, and it was Aspie heaven for me. One-on-one interaction with professors, small number of peers, the ability to specialize in your major your first semester, and not needing to take any "required" classes that you have little interest in. I highly recommend liberal arts colleges to those Aspies who have a very strong special interest in their major. I went to college knowing what my major would be, and it was fun to get to take a core neuroscience class my freshman fall.

Nash: Is there a difference?

The_Green_Ego

14 Mar 2011, 1:22 pm

Well I know the one that Matt Groening went to didn't have grades. It was Evergreen College in Washington.

Who else thinks that this is a better learning environment for aspies?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 9:24 am

The_Green_Ego wrote:
Well I know the one that Matt Groening went to didn't have grades. It was Evergreen College in Washington.

Who else thinks that this is a better learning environment for aspies?

Might be a better learning environment, but I doubt your degree will be recognized by anyone.

No grades means no evaluation of competency.

That Groening made it big with The Simpsons confounds me. That's more dumb luck than the product of an education.

The_Green_Ego

21 Mar 2011, 10:59 am

Groening got famous because his cartoons were hilarious, not dumb luck. And anyways, you don't need grades! You need social skills and a choice in what to study.

If Groening had gone to a 4 year school, he would have found it harder to compete to get a position on the school newspaper. He would've learned the worthless classes like Ethics and Statistics, instead of cartooning, writing, and editing.

That's right! I said it: Imagine a school that actually lets you choose what you want to learn.

And also, Groening is just one example. I'm sure their are plenty of people out their who succeeded in a Liberal Art College, which proves that it is not dumb luck.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 6:07 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
The_Green_Ego wrote:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I went to a liberal arts college. You earned grades unless you opted to "audit" a class (take it for no credit...which most any college allows). If you didn't maintain a given GPA, you could lose your ability to get financial aid/loans for your tuition.

That's right. I'm currently a student at a liberal arts college. The only college I know of that has a unique grading system is Reed College. I believe they still give grades but you don't find out how you're doing until your semester is over. I've never heard of a college, liberal arts or not, that didn't have some required classes. For instance, my school doesn't have certain classes you have to take, but it still has a core curriculum and we are allowed a lot of freedom in choosing those required/core classes.