Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 6:51 am

I'm in homeschooling, and everything I do is through a computer (except the OGTS, ACTs and SATs in which I have to go somewhere). I discuss things with my peers in forums similar to this one. In biology, we are doing a debate. Our group of 6 is dividing into two teams; one team says that herbal supplements are to be approved and tested as drugs, while the other team (mine) says otherwise.

On the other team is this kid named Parker (name changed just in case). He's popular, has a sultry voice (we can use microphones in online chat groups), everyone seems to love him and he's brilliant. I hate him. Call me concieted if you want, but I hate not being the smartest person my age in a room. Yes I understand there are millions smarter than me, and good for them. I just don't like being showed up in school. Not to mention his got a way with communicatin that I could never grasp and everyone loves him. I've found fault in him ONCE and he's called me out (in a perfectly reasonable and polite fashion) more than I'm willing to count. In other words, yes I am jealous. Yes I am vain. I got that part.

Now for the idiots. Everyone on my team is an "idiot." Now when I say idiot (I'm told I need to clarify this) I don't mean someone who's stupid. I'm referring to the people too lazy to do their own work and work together and care nothing about their (and my) grade. For once I actually came over my social anxiety and tried to get us all going. But alas, I am stuck alone. Still I made what I'm willing to call a good introductary argument.

I spent HOURS trying to write something. I talked about the prices of healthcare, the cost of approving a drug, safety, accessiblity, things of that nature. We only needed one post, but my teammate took it upon herself to add a second in which she ranted about ANIMAL RIGHTS and how dangerous herbs are. The other team found this hilarious. I sent her a message, talked to her about it, then gave her a list of good websites. She said "okay thanks :)" and thats that.

The next week, I decided to check on her post, the second rebutal. She simply copy-and-pasted her last argument.

I just read Parker's summary argument. The little ignoramus decided to completely twist all my words against me and rebutted only his absurd claims. I'm seeing no sources for this, so I'm assuming he made it up.

This debate and the people associated with it are anathema to me (heh, been waiting a LOONG time for a chance to use that word properly). GAH.

I'm sorry, but I find this infuriating. My teacher doesn't want anything to do about it, and she says my grade is going to be fine. I'm overreacting as usual and taking it personally.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 7:15 am

GammaGeek wrote:
I just read Parker's summary argument. The little ignoramus decided to completely twist all my words against me and rebutted only his absurd claims. I'm seeing no sources for this, so I'm assuming he made it up.

Call him out on that. Ask him for sources. Anecdotal evidence in debates is no match against arguments that are backed up with factual evidence.

Also, it sounds like you're pretty much going alone against a whole team of people. Maybe you should complain to your teacher that your teammates scarcely contributed anything to the debate?