Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 4:00 pm

I toured around, got some free food, talked to some people at the teachers' table. There was Student Health/Disability Services. I walked back to sitting area for a break and then walked back.

Unlike before where there were two people staffing the table, now there was just one person.

I said, "Hi, you might be able to help me. [I then stuttered and stammered a little] I'm trying to get a network organization for Asperger's Autism Spectrum."

The lady said, "Here, call this guy." And she slapped a card on the table. It was like a screen went down over her face.

I said, "Is he going to be back later today."

She said, "Call him on Monday."

Her whole attitude was dismissive. I gave my poker pat to the table, and I picked up the card.

I felt stung as I walked away.

I'm a guy in my late 40s (I look like I'm in my late 30s). I cannot imagine how this would have felt when I first went to college at age 19. It would have stung more and hurt more. It would have been an even bigger deal.

I ask someone for help. They are in an official position where they're supposed to help, and yet . . .

This lady had "RN" on her nametag (!) (!) Wow. Some people get it. And I guess some people don't.

====================

I think I have a history with this lady. In Fall '08, I went to Student Health Services for a flu vaccine. Even though they charge a price, it's students only. I'm an alumni and actually graduated from another university in the same system. I didn't "argue," but I think I did say something about the broader community. She actually firmed up her position and said student only. It was counterproductive.

And in Feb. 2011, a scant six months ago, when I was taking geology/Earth science, I (bravely) went to student health and asked, okay, where do you recommend I go for spectrum resources/advocacy/networking. And I think it was this same lady, who in disengaged fashion, gave me a card for Student Disability Services.

And then went I sent an email to the supposed coordinator of this department, the clown didn't respond back.

(I deleted this post from 'General Autism Discussion' and moved it here thinking it would probably be more helpful.)

gc1ceo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Aug 2011, 4:21 pm

It sounds like she, or health services in general, are uneducated on Aspergers or similar conditions. You might have better luck with something like office of disability services or whatever you have, or maybe even a counseling center if you have one on campus. But it sounds like you might have the best luck with a support group with other students who have Aspergers, etc.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 3:08 pm

What if we call it a networking group, since afterall we do have both strengths and deficiencies?