Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ArtCraftandTeddies
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Apr 2012, 4:48 am

Hi Everyone,
Hoping someone can help me out with these feelings
I'm 24 and I'm planning to go back to University I'm not 100% sure on what I'd like to do probably something in the creative field.The problem is when I try to enroll myself I always don't do it due to self talk eg ' won't be able to because I'm not smart enough' 'I'll probably fail' etc, I also tend to doubt my abilities. How do I stop this so I can finally go to university?

Art

nortier
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Apr 2012, 8:02 am

ArtCraftandTeddies wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I'm 24 and I'm planning to go back to University I'm not 100% sure on what I'd like to do probably something in the creative field.The problem is when I try to enroll myself I always don't do it due to self talk eg ' won't be able to because I'm not smart enough' 'I'll probably fail' etc, I also tend to doubt my abilities. How do I stop this so I can finally go to university?

Art

Hi Art!

Enrolling in a university program can be a daunting task, I know. From what you wrote I take it you want to learn about the creative field, be trained as an artist and learn a lot about your own qualities, right? My experience was that I actually became smarter (or at least learned a lot) because I enrolled. University teaches you so much. It cues you to fine-tune your perspective and talents and figure out what you want in live (or exactly what you don't want). If you enrolled in university and you already knew everything, what would you be doing there?

Don't be afraid to admit you don't know everything, and don't be afraid to ask. That's what it's all about.

There is, of course, no three-step plan to fix your insecurities, but - if you can - don't let it overwhelm you. Step into it with an open mind, allow yourself to be curious and DON'T think you're going to fail every course you take.

I hope you'll gain more courage soon!

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 8:48 am

ArtCraftandTeddies wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Art

I have worked in UK University admisssions and recruitment. The UK University won't let you in if you couldn't do it. Simple fact. Retention of students is a massive issue. If effects University grants and their success statistics. The Uni won't risk wasting all its resources on someone who couldn't do it. Therefore you can do it. You are smart enough.

Of course that doesn't mean you will do it, that comes from you, and hanging on in there for yourself. The thing is, there are hundreds of other students in any annual intake who are not as smart as you, yet they do not doubt themselves. So neither should you.

There are others who will be smarter than you but very lazy, and thats not stopping them applying, and some of them are likely to drop out. There are others who will have many other challenges to contend with.

Put yourself into the context of the group of others who are applying. I'd put my money on you. I would bet you have a better chance than may others who have no self-doubt.
Just do it. You could regret it if you dont try.