Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 5:09 am

I don't know why I'm so bored in school, but everything is so simple. The only reason I don't get straight A's is because I don't do my homework. Math is easy, Science is easy, English is easy, and History is easy. I take electives, but they're not designed to be challenging, just fun. Art is OK, but it's really just a time I'm taking advantage of the school's resources. The teacher is not a very good teacher in my opinion--a good artist, sure, but not a good teacher.

I'm a little concerned because I hear so many people saying, "Gosh, I don't understand this at all." Not just, "Gosh, I should have done the homework so I'd have an A right now," but "I don't understand." I feel that way with people. I really can't wrap my head around how Probability could be hard, or how English could be difficult. There's that whole "different native language, different colloquialisms," but as someone who has to correct her first mental image of "a wolf in sheep's clothing" every time she hears it, I don't think that's actually a problem.

Does anyone else have a problem with school being too easy?

Last edited by LennytheWicked on 22 Mar 2012, 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Mar 2012, 5:42 am

i was similar to you when i was at school. all the subhects were easy but i was so disinterested and distracted that i failed miserably. i never done any homework, coursework etc.

arrgh i just hated it.

Ellingtonia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2012, 7:00 am

I was similar, I got near straight As with a minimum of effort, but I never saw it as a problem. Having said that I did quit high school before the start of my last year with no more precise a reason than "I don't feel like it".

melmaclorelai
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2012, 9:12 am

For three years in high school, I felt that way. I felt that there was a huge intellectual gap between me and my peers and even some of the staff members. I felt more motivated in the last two years of high school, because I was allowed to pick my own subjects.

the_beautiful_mess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2012, 9:26 am

I know. I think it kind of annoys my parents, because I can get straight As if I want to, but I just got bored, so now I use about 10% of my ability and manage to stay in the top or middle classes without doing homework, and I can still get good exam marks.

'I sometimes go to my own little world, but that's okay, they know me there.' ~ Joel Hodgson

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 1:57 pm

It's something frequently seen among intellectually gifted individuals; it's come from being too smart for school, or rather too smart for academics made for peoples of average intelligence.

Mewkin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Mar 2012, 1:36 pm

I tried taking Advanced classes in hopes that a change in difficulty of school would spark my interests/convince myself that I am not mentally challenged, but all the classes are still extremely easy with the exception of Calculus. With Calculus I actually have to pay attention to the class in order to know what I am doing, and take notes for an hour while watching the board. By then I have spent over 6 hours in school, sitting in a desk, getting absolutely nothing of value done, and learned that some short story a long time ago was considered brilliant by primitive standards that have long become irrelevant.

I have made the mistake this year of not taking specific classes that allowed me to put forth more work than ever expected, (Art, Digital Design, A/V Production, Animation). Now the entirety of school seems as though it is flat and outright legitimate waste of 8 perfectly good hours. I don't think that the entire school system is absolutely pointless, there is just no place for it in my life. I learn nearly all the information through the wonders of the internet that I could ever desire, with only a few college courses out there that could point me in the correct direction more quickly and efficiently.

Without going on forever, in short, I would say that you are most definitely not alone. :p

Axion004
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2012, 11:04 pm

What schools do you people go to? In a competitive program you wouldn't be getting straight A's by "sitting in class and only paying attention for one to two hours per week." I have heard stories how students at MIT and Cal-Tech average 60 to 70 hours per week. If you guys honestly think school is so easy try pulling off straight A's in a difficult major at a competitive university and see how easy it is.

Kalinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Mar 2012, 12:33 pm

It's still healthy to learn even when it becomes easy, that's a sign that you've really soaked up everything. You should commit to your education, and not give it up because it's difficult to follow the casual pace, just challenge yourself on your own time, you might like abstract math more or something...

I want to be gifted like that, because I used to be really able to visualize things and was a straight A student, but sometimes my brain just stops keeping pace and I have to adapt. I mean, if it's that easy you could take some time to develop something cool, crafts or technology or a business, ya know? Opportunities are wide open.

autismthinker21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 10:29 pm

it's a shame that schooling should of been more than just a sit in a classroom looking at the board consitantly. what's the point in it.

school should be more unique. i hope it does in the next 10 years. schooling nowadays don't mean S***. it's dumb. where is the phrase of

saying, " if school is there, a way of learning needs to take a space adventure into the unknown." i mean come on we should have school

in a new way without the classroom. no not internet schooling. that is just dumb period. what if the world can learn from each other

instead of learning from a book. something that we can all agree to. for example: music should be more deep and more different than

just a look and copy. or art. take a journey to where everyone can enjoy. if science is unique, look at different molecules or explore more

different stuff. s

anxiouspoet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2012, 12:51 am

Axion004 wrote:
What schools do you people go to? In a competitive program you wouldn't be getting straight A's by "sitting in class and only paying attention for one to two hours per week." I have heard stories how students at MIT and Cal-Tech average 60 to 70 hours per week. If you guys honestly think school is so easy try pulling off straight A's in a difficult major at a competitive university and see how easy it is.

That's mostly hype combined with the fact that those sorts of schools intentionally load students up with lots of work for no better reason than to get people to drop out.

I'll finally be getting out of undergrad in a couple weeks but I strongly feel it's been a waste of my time for the most part.

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2012, 6:53 pm

i hear you school is too easy for me and i also have a shop where i work with computers but that is too easy to :evil:

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 9:25 pm

I've got straight A's right now in all four classes.
Hours I've studied this semester: 0.

to his Interest."

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 9:27 pm

anxiouspoet wrote:
Axion004 wrote:

That's mostly hype combined with the fact that those sorts of schools intentionally load students up with lots of work for no better reason than to get people to drop out.

I'll finally be getting out of undergrad in a couple weeks but I strongly feel it's been a waste of my time for the most part.

It's just a piece of paper to prove to potential employers:

a. you had the means to buy it
b. weren't too stupid to show up at least occasionally

to his Interest."

Sempiternal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 1:25 am

Yup, I have that problem. I keep hearing people in my Biology class complaining about how its so much work, that it's so hard, and that they don't understand the subject. I actually have the highest grade out of all of my Biology teacher's classes, and I rarely study at all. I mean, if I think I'm going to struggle with it, I'll just skim through the pages at the last minute and somehow get a perfect score on the quizzes and tests.

My father and doctor think that I'm depressed because school's too easy for me, but my (former) psychiatrist thinks it's because I can't concentrate. Well sure, I can't concentrate on things that don't interest me. That's not that absurd; you see people falling asleep and texting away on their phones all the time in class!

I'm glad I'm going for a relatively challenging course next year, even though all the upperclassmen complain about how hard it is.

zzmondo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 1:21 pm

angelofdarkness wrote:
i hear you school is too easy for me and i also have a shop where i work with computers but that is too easy to :evil:

I think school is too easy for me as well.