Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 6:05 pm

If you're stressed out and you feel like whining about the whole application process and deadlines and such, this is the place to do it. Sorry, I'm just stressed out. I applied for the Library Tech program and I got in but my payment is due and my stupid student loan still hasn't gone through and the college payment is due next week. It'll take 3 or 4 weeks until my OSAP comes through so I'll have to make quite a few phone calls this week. Ugh, I'm so stressed and confused about everything that I have to do. Blah. Payment deadlines suck.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 8:53 pm

Tell the school your situation--that you are still waiting for the loan to come through. I'm sure they've had to deal with this many times before. They should be willing to wait as long as the loan is going through the process. If not, talk to your parents or other relatives about a short term loan. If you have to go that route, make sure you pay back your relatives as soon as possible.

On the plus side, you are headed to college! And, you are enrolled in Library Tech! I never went to college, and am still kicking myself decades later. I would have liked going for one of the library careers. My first job was part-time as a page in a library, and I liked it. It was a position reserved for high school kids. Because the library is a non profit organization, they don't have to pay the minimum wage for non skilled employees, so they didn't. People with a degree get paid at skilled rate, which is a lot more than I got back then. Granted, starting pay is at the low end when you first start out, but there are raises over time. I needed more money than the below minimum pay I was getting there, so I eventually found another, full time job after I graduated from high school.

I had a hard time in school. Some of it was from trying to learn things I was required to take, but that had no interest in. My mind tends to lock up against such stuff, making it hard to learn them. My other problem with school was a lifetime spent being preyed upon by the other kids. Between my academic problems and the constant abuse by the other kids, by the time I graduated from high school, I couldn't stand the thought of going through any more of it, if I didn't have to, so I didn't pursue a college education. Because of money and health problems, college is no longer an option for me.

Please don't pass up this opportunity. Also, I think you will like working in a library. Good luck! :D

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 9:21 pm

questor wrote:
Tell the school your situation--that you are still waiting for the loan to come through. I'm sure they've had to deal with this many times before. They should be willing to wait as long as the loan is going through the process. If not, talk to your parents or other relatives about a short term loan. If you have to go that route, make sure you pay back your relatives as soon as possible.

On the plus side, you are headed to college! And, you are enrolled in Library Tech! I never went to college, and am still kicking myself decades later. I would have liked going for one of the library careers. My first job was part-time as a page in a library, and I liked it. It was a position reserved for high school kids. Because the library is a non profit organization, they don't have to pay the minimum wage for non skilled employees, so they didn't. People with a degree get paid at skilled rate, which is a lot more than I got back then. Granted, starting pay is at the low end when you first start out, but there are raises over time. I needed more money than the below minimum pay I was getting there, so I eventually found another, full time job after I graduated from high school.

I had a hard time in school. Some of it was from trying to learn things I was required to take, but that had no interest in. My mind tends to lock up against such stuff, making it hard to learn them. My other problem with school was a lifetime spent being preyed upon by the other kids. Between my academic problems and the constant abuse by the other kids, by the time I graduated from high school, I couldn't stand the thought of going through any more of it, if I didn't have to, so I didn't pursue a college education. Because of money and health problems, college is no longer an option for me.

Please don't pass up this opportunity. Also, I think you will like working in a library. Good luck! :D

Thanks so much for the encouraging words. Yeah, everything's a blur right now between my current job with parent interviews at the daycare, processing my student loan, photocopying papers, sending in my disability, answering e-mails, handing things in on time, mailing things...burn out. Yes, I'm just going to take it one step at a time. I'm probably going to ask my mum to help me out because I'm becoming really stressed out and confused with all of this paperwork.

I'm sorry to hear about your high school experience. I hated middle school and high school wasn't much better. College was a lot more enjoyable though because you're with people who have similar interests as you and most people are a bit more mature at that age. Maybe you can take a course online for something you like. :) It's cheaper and you don't have to go anywhere.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

27 Jun 2012, 10:54 am

I didn't know you had to write a million "short" essays for every one of MIT's freshman programs. UGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH.

AJ89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2012, 6:40 pm

Are you taking the Library and Information technician program in person or online?

If you choose to do online, you can just register for as many courses as you can pay for.

I was interested in that program and Seneca college has a fast track option for that program for people with a diploma or degree.
It starts in May and goes to the end of April, I think.

I've looked at graduate employment reports for people who have finished the LIT program across Ontario and usually 1/3 of people get jobs related to their program but at a much higher average salary compared to other programs, usually 44,000 per year.

Algonquin college has the best graduate employment record for Library and Information technology.

And to answer your question, yes I am stressed out over college tuition payments. I have enough to pay for rent and tuition for the entire year but that will leave me with next to nothing so I'm trying to to get a loan to pay for both rent and tuition.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 6:48 pm

AJ89 wrote:
Are you taking the Library and Information technician program in person or online?

If you choose to do online, you can just register for as many courses as you can pay for.

I was interested in that program and Seneca college has a fast track option for that program for people with a diploma or degree.
It starts in May and goes to the end of April, I think.

I've looked at graduate employment reports for people who have finished the LIT program across Ontario and usually 1/3 of people get jobs related to their program but at a much higher average salary compared to other programs, usually 44,000 per year.

Algonquin college has the best graduate employment record for Library and Information technology.

And to answer your question, yes I am stressed out over college tuition payments. I have enough to pay for rent and tuition for the entire year but that will leave me with next to nothing so I'm trying to to get a loan to pay for both rent and tuition.

I'm taking the program full-time on campus. I think that would be the best for me right now because I stay in the house way too much. I need to get out in the real world again.

I was actually going to apply to Seneca to take it and then all of a sudden Durham College decided to offer it this year. That was great news for me because I can commute there from where I live easily., I applied and got in.

I'm pretty nervous about taking this program. Is this the program you applied to this year? I'm hoping that there wont be any math involved in it. I'm also wondering if the majority of students in the program will be using laptops or just paper and pen.

AJ89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2012, 8:26 pm

No, I'm taking a program in Marketing Research at Algonquin.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 12:17 am

:wall:
TWO 3-hour placement tests?! :evil:

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 1:10 pm

Albirea wrote:
:wall:
TWO 3-hour placement tests?! :evil:

Are those tests you have to write before you get into the program?

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 1:55 pm

No, they're placement tests for classes. Scoring high enough would give me more class options to choose from in that particular subject.
One of the tests is an "advanced standing" test, and if I pass, I get credit for that class without taking it. (Freshman biology, if you're curious.)

The applications I was talking about earlier are for other programs specifically for freshmen.