Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 9:34 pm

What do you think about it? Has it ever influenced where you sit in class? It has for me. I wanted to sit as far away from it as possible.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 9:44 pm

Jitro wrote:
What do you think about it? Has it ever influenced where you sit in class? It has for me. I wanted to sit as far away from it as possible.

The purpose of most fire alarms is to alert individuals that there might be a fire. However I once had business in a building that housed fairly dangerous, flammable chemicals and the purpose of the alarm in that building, was to make people evacuate it.

As such, the decibels of the alarm was beyond what is known as "the threshold of pain" to the extent that most individuals would instinctively clap their hands over their ears when it went off. This ensured people did not waste time trying to retrieve and carry out personal effects. Appropriately, it was called the "evacuate building alarm".

joannaaleksandra
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jun 2012, 5:18 am

I try to sit far from it.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 8:34 am

If it makes you wan to get out of the building; it's doing it's job :)

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 11:03 am

Back when I went to high school, during the certain period of time someone was pulling fire alarm almost daily during either 5-th or 6-th period. Apparently, someone didn't like whatever class he was taken at that period.

However, I am proud to say that I was the very first person who pulled the fire alarm. Ironically, I pulled it at the time of AP physics midterm. I was not taking AP physics (I was taking physics at community college instead) nor did I know it was a midterm. So it was pretty ironic that I just helped some guys avoid their midterm without even knowing what I was doing :)

When it became fairly clear that there was no fire, they made the ppl who took AP physics to get back in the building and take their midterm, while everyone else continued to stay outside. Apparently they probably thought one of the AP physics kids pulled it.

Overall I pulled 5 fire alarms and I got caught twice (although I lied that the two fire alarms on which I was caught were the only ones I pulled), and no, AP physics one was not the one they ever accused me of pulling. So I guess I never got a credit for being the Very First Fire Alarm Guy.

NicoleR
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jul 2012, 10:08 am

I went to a school where the fire alarm and security alarms went off nearly all the time; it was hard to learn anything. I sit as near to the door as possible.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 10:31 am

Pulling a fire alarm falsely is a crime, and ties up first responders who might be needed elsewhere.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 10:40 am

I find the distraction a welcome break from class. Not so much in college though, just when I was in grade school. Yes it's loud but I liked getting out of class more.

globalwolf2010
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2012, 10:11 pm

I've never consciously decided where I was going to sit because of a fire alarm, but I freaking hate the things when they go off in a dorm building at night and it's cold out. That's happened to me twice, once during this absolutely legendary winter between 2009 and 2010. Fortunately, that was one of the few nights when it wasn't snowing or misting freezing rain all over the place. The dorm hall across the parking lot decided to show mercy and let us come inside for a while, but I think that I may have actually been in my pajamas.

The second time, the fire alarm woke me up at about four a.m., screaming like a banshee in my dorm room and flaring like the very fires of Hell. I had to walk outside and stand there in a powerful, freezing wind until they searched the entire building (not their fault, it's just protocol). That night, I was not a happy camper.