Is it worth going back to school at age 45?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 9:05 am

I really studied in the totally wrong field my first time around and I'd like to do something more practical this time. I'm considering studying speech pathology in the hopes of working with children with speech delays.

I have a BA in Mass Communications/Broadcasting right now and have no money to pay for any futher education, but I have a brilliant work history. My husband has all the degrees, but no work history to speak of. He went in the Army and got G. I. Bill money. What a waste. He has all this education but no job and I have all this job but not much education. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! ! :evil: :wall:

Tsproggy
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2012, 12:21 pm

I lived with a woman who went to college at around 45-50, got a 10 year degree in Asian Medicene or something, like.. acu puncture, acu pressure, using natural ingredients instead of pills etc. She's been to college like.. 3 seperate times + military time. If she can do it so can you. Also, you could always look into being self employed?

Rapture1982
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Sep 2012, 8:00 pm

I say go for it. Make sure you have a plan though. Also discuss this with relevant people. A lot of advisors at the school want to get you in as this is their school therefore they have incentive/obligation to advise you to get in. Run this by as many people as possible.

DoniiMann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2012, 6:18 am

One of the things I hate is every day over and I look back over the day and see it wasted. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. If you can work out the financial angle, hell yes go back to college. You have to live every second of every day til the second you die. Only then will it be too late. You've got decades until you're old enough to retire, you could get a degree in that time.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 10:13 am

Mindsigh wrote:
I really studied in the totally wrong field my first time around and I'd like to do something more practical this time. I'm considering studying speech pathology in the hopes of working with children with speech delays.

I have a BA in Mass Communications/Broadcasting right now and have no money to pay for any futher education, but I have a brilliant work history. My husband has all the degrees, but no work history to speak of. He went in the Army and got G. I. Bill money. What a waste. He has all this education but no job and I have all this job but not much education. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! ! :evil: :wall:

I encourage you do go back to school IF you have a desire to do so.....

TheSunAlsoRises