Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2013, 10:57 pm

So my nonverbal learning disorder is documented in a psychological evaluation and I know I can get help from disability services at my school. The only problem is that I don't have a copy of the evaluation as it was first diagnosed in another U.S. state and not in the state where I currently reside. I'm not quite sure on how to take the route of talking to disability services as I don't know if they can request a copy from the out of state psychologist or if I have to do it myself. I thought my mom had a copy that was given to us by the caseworker I went through when I tried doing vocational rehab but she can't remember where it got put if it is at her house. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 11:09 pm

1. Email or call the place or doctor that did your eval and ask for a copy to be mailed to you.
2. Ask for a preliminary meeting with the school you are interested in with their office of student disabilities (or some similar name) for what the requirements for filing with them as a student with NVLD, and ask what are general accommodations they have that can help with your difficulties (it might help if you have a general list of things you struggle with or think you might need help with).

Some schools are picky about talking to the OSD before you are admitted to the school but push for a preliminary meeting anyway if you are not admitted yet, and tell them that you know that nothing can be firmly decided or put on the record, but you would like to know what options are available and what you need to do.

Generally you need to send in the paper work yourself as you have your student ID number or what not identifying information the school needs to link the paperwork to you and not someone else with a similar name, but the OSD should be able to tell you if the doctor needs to send it directly. They might also have forms you need to fill out in addition to your diagnosis info.

Some schools want the diagnosis info to be from within 1 year, but not all.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 11:20 pm

You will need to get a copy of the diagnosis. You should be able to get it from the doctor who diagnosed you.

The only complication could be the age of the diagnosis. The DSS at our school can't use diagnosis's older than like 5 years.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2013, 11:44 pm

I went ahead and emailed them about it and asked.

The last time I tried to get ahold of the psychologist they never got back to me, even after I left a message for them.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 8:41 am

You shouldn't need to contact the doctor himself, just the office he works out of...

Contact the office and tell them you need a copy of your records. They will most likely email you a release/request form. You will need to print, fill out, and sign this form. Once that is done, you will need to mail/fax the form back to them, and then, they will send your records to you.

I just did this for my own stuff... It should not be that hard for you.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2013, 12:07 pm

They replied back and I can go and sign a release form saying they are authorized to have a copy of my psychological evaluation on it. I will be doing that after my criminology class.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2013, 9:19 pm

UPDATE: Release form and application are completed. All I have to do is the orientation and wait for the psychologist's office to send the evaluation to them. I also have an appointment next week to talk about accomodations.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 1:35 pm

RaspberryFrosty wrote:
UPDATE: Release form and application are completed. All I have to do is the orientation and wait for the psychologist's office to send the evaluation to them. I also have an appointment next week to talk about accomodations.

Sweet! Good job. I hope everything goes well.

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jun 2013, 12:10 pm

Contact the psychologist who did the evaluation directly and asked for the report. She or he also may be able to send the school a report. You should also be able to sign a release from Disability Services and they can request the evaluation from the psychologist with your permission.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jul 2013, 1:41 am

I have interim accomodations as of right now through DR and I got an email from my advisor that the psychologist finally sent the information over to them after two months of waiting for information to be relayed. I had signed a release form when I went and saw Pamela (DR advisor) the first time around. The psychologist's office never responded and I went in to renew my accomodations for summer term and I had to resend a release form. :roll:

The psychologist's office actually responded as I've stated before and I now have to go and make an appointment with Pamela to get permanent accomodations for the rest of my schooling at my college.