Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2012, 3:38 am

Yes

blue_moon666
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Nov 2012, 3:43 am

It takes alot of practice, but once you get it it's fun.

alex
Developer
Developer

26 Nov 2012, 4:10 am

I didn't enjoy it too much when I had to take math classes in school.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 4:14 am

Arithmetic is alright, and I liked geometry.

That said, no, I hate most math. Never liked and did poorly in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. I don't like when a ton of letters and symbols are strung together in an equation. Letters go to make sentences in my mind, not math problems.

CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2012, 6:27 am

((All evil)^(1/2)) =Math

helles
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 7:01 am

Jitro wrote:
I do.

If you really struggle with math, check out dyscalculia (mathblindness). Many people have an adversion towards math and struggle with it, they can bild a mental block (do not know if this is the proper term in english) towards math (or some kinds of math). People with dyscalculia will almost always have this mental block but they also have other underlying reasons.

Dyscalculia is not only about being bad at math, there are other comorbids as well. I have difficulties recognizing faces, trouble reading timescedules (for trains and busses) and "reading" a clock (I only use digital watches these days). Actually some of these traits seems to be related to the things people with AS can experience. I do not know where my AS starts and the dyscalculia stops!

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2012, 8:40 am

Depends: I hate geometry and arithmethics, but I like algebra.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 9:18 am

Math is extremely difficult for me, because I think in pictures and I can't visualize numbers and mathematical operations. I barely got through it in high school and in college I took Logic and Probablilty, which is at least a bit more verbal, but it was till a challenge.

Last edited by dyingofpoetry on 27 Nov 2012, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 10:19 am

Yes. Very much so.

Now, I am not bad at math. I don't struggle with it, I'm better at it than most people. So why do I hate it? I enjoyed it when I was younger, but then as I read and learned to become a writer, I discovered something. The thinking required for math is the equivalent of putting my mind in a straitjacket. It is stressful and feels awful.

The things I want to say, the thoughts I want running through my mind, must be expressed in words and not in numbers. By the time I was in high school, I wrote a poem, "On Words and Numbers", which expressed this need to use words and not numbers to convey my thoughts.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 10:32 am

No but I hate explaining things so my professor understands it. I don't like professors not understanding what I am doing.

aspigirlus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Nov 2012, 12:09 pm

I really, really love it but I have dyscalculia so I cannot do it! I wish I could, I would be a mathematician.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 5:31 pm

I've heard that Aspies are great at math, but it takes them a while to learn it.

theWanderer wrote:
The thinking required for math is the equivalent of putting my mind in a straitjacket. It is stressful and feels awful.

This too.

Author/Writer

Telephonoscope
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Nov 2012, 5:45 pm

I also have dyscalculia, so math is very hard for me. According to the psychologist who tested me dyscalculia is now known as Specific Learning Disability in Mathematics (SLD-Math).

I've had trouble with math since I was very young, and actually dropped out of highschool because of it. I finally saved up enough money to get diagnosed just a month ago. Hurrah!

I'll admit that figuring out a formula and actually being able to solve problems gives me a great sense of accomplishment, but because of dyscalculia and my "bad working memory" I may literally forget how to work a formula or altogether forget the formula completely after learning it. To give you some perspective, I had a college reading level in 3rd grade, but now at the age of 28 I am basically at the pre-algebra level. Because of this I'll have accommodations when I attend college this upcoming fall such as the use of flashcards that I've written formulas on so that I don't have to remember them, and a calculator no matter if they're allowed or not.

As for hating math.... when it overloads me I hate it. The fact that it explains the functioning of the universe makes me desperately want to understand it.

Evy7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2012, 6:02 pm

I'm studying to be a math teacher. I only hate it when I don't understand, but once the logic becomes clear, I love it.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 3:59 am

Math was my favorite subject, English on the other hand, bleh.