Yes 41%  41%  [ 185 ]
No 11%  11%  [ 49 ]
No 12%  12%  [ 52 ]
Total votes : 452

Shadowgirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2009, 11:26 am

When I was in Elementary and Middle school I had to deal with teachers that bullied me.

I'll tell you what I can remember for example.

In grade 3 I had a teacher say to me "If you were my child I would tie you up, beat you half to death, and throw you in a closet"
(This was before I was put in special needs in 5th grade)

In 4th grade my teacher liked to publicly humiliate me and when ever I did anything right she would be like "You can do that but you can't do school work"? (I had trouble understanding at the time)

5th grade my teacher assaulted me and nobody did anything about it.

6-7th A teacher that let others bully me and if I ever tried to stand up and defend myself I was the one that got it.

8th Teacher just picked at me a lot but wasn't as bad as the others.

As you can imagine from third grade on I had trouble trusting teachers and it wasn't until I got to High School that the teachers were better and treated me right. I in turn succeeded very well with many honers.

Bulling teachers should be reported right away by child and parent so nobody ends up having to suffer it. I was thinking there has to be away to take preventative measures like cameras in the classroom or voice recordings undercover. Yeah I know sounds drastic but it matters it really does. Especially to one with special needs which are the most bullied of all.

Does God Exist? Here is proof he does.
http://www.everystudent.com/features/is ... 2godMANp2w

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 11:59 am

Yes, most of the bullying was AS label related.

As soon as the label was removed, there wasn't really an excuse for them.

This happened ages ago.

I've found that most teachers are friendly and want to help people academically.

It's only the odd few that are either too stressed or don't like you as a person.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 12:37 pm

Some teachers like to make fun of kids that they think aren't very popular.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 1:04 pm

There are always ways of dealing with these not so nice teachers. Hint: an Author by the name of George Hayduke lists some very creative things. I would say that these things can be dealt with through the "system," but the system is designed to give teachers and tormentors all the advantages.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 4:59 pm

In first grade I once had a terrible headache that kept me from doing my work, and I just got yelled at by my teacher (at recess) until I cried. I told her my head hurt, and she said it should after being yelled at and stormed off. I ended up going home early, and when my mom later talked to her about it, she just apologized and said she didn't know I already had a headache before, and that was supposed to make it okay to harass me, which my mom accepted because she really didn't care about me either.

I also just had a professor my last couple semesters in college who bullies all her students. She fails entire classes out of spite and sends adults away crying. In her education classes she teaches that it's not acceptable to care about your students. Occasionally she would come to me and tell me that I need to work harder because I don't take notes, which she would realize is ridiculous if she ever noticed me sitting right in the front of the class, taking down far more than anybody else was. I failed that class, supposedly for not writing long enough essays on the final. But I'm pretty sure she was out to fail me from the beginning to prove what a terrible student I am (because she knows I had difficulty at another school). Apparently every year the faculty go complain about her, but nothing is ever done, so this semester the students put together a petition for all of her students who think something needs to be done about her teaching. Unfortunately, there aren't very many people to sign it because they keep dropping out. She's destroying the entire department, and nobody can stop her.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 6:24 pm

Yes. In one alternative school I went to the teachers harassed and lied to me.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 7:48 pm

WurdBendur wrote:

I also just had a professor my last couple semesters in college who bullies all her students. She fails entire classes out of spite and sends adults away crying. In her education classes she teaches that it's not acceptable to care about your students. Occasionally she would come to me and tell me that I need to work harder because I don't take notes, which she would realize is ridiculous if she ever noticed me sitting right in the front of the class, taking down far more than anybody else was. I failed that class, supposedly for not writing long enough essays on the final. But I'm pretty sure she was out to fail me from the beginning to prove what a terrible student I am (because she knows I had difficulty at another school). Apparently every year the faculty go complain about her, but nothing is ever done, so this semester the students put together a petition for all of her students who think something needs to be done about her teaching. Unfortunately, there aren't very many people to sign it because they keep dropping out. She's destroying the entire department, and nobody can stop her.

Just because policies, procedures, closing ranks of the faculty, and the rules are set to favor this professors dies not mean that she cannot be stopped. I HATE bullies, especially when they are in the position of authority. Since you are playing on a non level playing field with all the rules tilted in favor of the opponent (the professor), you have to invent a new game. The professor's grading system, her classroom, and the dean's office are her game area. Just about everywhere else is your game area. I would start off with some kind of semi legal and nonviolent way of putting her in place. There are several websites that allows you to out bad teachers and professors. There are also low tech ways of doing the same. Just before the semester registration begins, post notices of this professor's abuse around the campus. Even signs off campus will be good, especially if they are along the route to the professor home. Posting to talk radio radio forums and calling local talk show hosts is also a good way to get the word out. These tactics can work especially if there is a way to get the community to call the college's public relations people. Colleges will go under without the patronage of their customers (students). Anything that threatens to significantly reduce enrollment will be dealt with by college officials.

If this does not work and the professor is the only one teaching a specific class required for a degree, then more extreme measures can be employed. I will mention that books can be found online that deal with this sort of bully. Many of them are written by devious people such as George Hayduke, Kurt Saxon, Ragnar Benson, Scott French, as well as others . Many of the tricks in these books can turn even the most determined bully into a cowering wreck. Believe me when I say that these tricks are very effective when carried out. I'm not suggesting that people actually carry out any of the attacks listed in such books but when the professor knows that the majority of her students know these tactics, she may very well decide it is not worth the risk to continue bullying her students. It is sort of like mental martial arts.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 8:11 pm

i had a teacher in elementary school that would not call me by my real name. she would always give me nicknames that I really did not like. I explained to her that i didn't like being called that, and she didn't listen, she just kept calling me by that name.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 8:44 pm

When I was in 9th grade one of my teachers caught me skipping a pep rally (technically those are optional, even though everyone is expected to go) because all the noise would cause me sensory overload to the point where I'd have an anxiety attack. He yelled at me to go to the pep rally and actually followed me in and watched me the whole time so I had to stay there, which teachers are allowed to do with students who are misbehaving. I wasn't misbehaving; I was just sitting outside and reading. I had a horrible anxiety attack at the pep rally, of course. He told me to "knock it off" and was really mean about it, but whenever he saw me skipping a rally after that he just made some comment about my lack of school spirit and left me alone.

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2009, 10:39 pm

The only bullying, condescending teachers I remember were my ninth-grade English teacher and my tenth-grade Drafting teacher. But then, I have no idea who those people weren't bullying or condescending towards. It was bad enough that I was able to switch into another section of English, but with Drafting I just held on and somehow managed to get a 'B' by some miracle or another (the grade was completely subjective: no weights, no say what was or wasn't on it).

The social issues of high school were close to entirely in the student-student world. Somehow I even managed to be an 11th-grade student in a 9th grade gym class without any major teacher problems (students, again... different issue entirely).

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 2:19 am

cyberscan wrote:
Just because policies, procedures, closing ranks of the faculty, and the rules are set to favor this professors dies not mean that she cannot be stopped. I HATE bullies, especially when they are in the position of authority. Since you are playing on a non level playing field with all the rules tilted in favor of the opponent (the professor), you have to invent a new game. The professor's grading system, her classroom, and the dean's office are her game area. Just about everywhere else is your game area. I would start off with some kind of semi legal and nonviolent way of putting her in place. There are several websites that allows you to out bad teachers and professors. There are also low tech ways of doing the same. Just before the semester registration begins, post notices of this professor's abuse around the campus. Even signs off campus will be good, especially if they are along the route to the professor home. Posting to talk radio radio forums and calling local talk show hosts is also a good way to get the word out. These tactics can work especially if there is a way to get the community to call the college's public relations people. Colleges will go under without the patronage of their customers (students). Anything that threatens to significantly reduce enrollment will be dealt with by college officials.

If this does not work and the professor is the only one teaching a specific class required for a degree, then more extreme measures can be employed. I will mention that books can be found online that deal with this sort of bully. Many of them are written by devious people such as George Hayduke, Kurt Saxon, Ragnar Benson, Scott French, as well as others . Many of the tricks in these books can turn even the most determined bully into a cowering wreck. Believe me when I say that these tricks are very effective when carried out. I'm not suggesting that people actually carry out any of the attacks listed in such books but when the professor knows that the majority of her students know these tactics, she may very well decide it is not worth the risk to continue bullying her students. It is sort of like mental martial arts.

Everybody knows about her. The students, other teachers, parents, everyone affected and more. She's the head of the Art department and the only teacher for several classes required for at least three different majors. Everyone has to go through her to get any of those, and she makes things unnecessarily difficult for all of them. She keeps the rest of the department under her thumb so that no real creativity is allowed while she's around.

She pulled a couple people out of a Drawing final to chide them about a project in her Art Education class. She has absolutely no respect for other teachers or students, and everyone knows this. Everyone talks about it ALL THE TIME, but the school will do nothing. And I personally don't feel like putting a lot of effort into it because I don't intend to go back knowing I'll just have to put up with her again (not to mention all the other issues I have with that school - I also plan to move away, so I won't be there anyway). I hate to think that even more students will have to go through the same thing, and maybe even waste years of school only to give up because of her, but I just don't think there's anything I can do. I signed the petition, and I'll continue to support the students the best I can. We'll just have to hope that something gets done this time.

I am interested in those books, though....

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 2:57 am

Some of the methods in the literature I mentione will take care of that and cause her to be fired - tenure or no tenure.

Syko
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2009, 3:00 am

The only time where I have been properly bullied by a teacher was in P5, he wasn't exactly a bad teacher, he just had this issue with people who weren't into sports, most of the people in my class were into their sports and were very talkative and were what many would call "normal". He jumped at every chance to humiliate me in front of the class. He wasn't a physical bully more of a verbal one, I wasn't the only one he bullied, but I was definitely his favourite, he even said to my mother that I wasn't autistic at all, I mean who the hell is he to say I'm not autistic?! !! ! He MAY be a teacher but he's not qualified to make that diagnosis. But any of my teachers before and after him more or less neglected me, and never said much to me during class, and never done anything when the class crowded around me and poked fun at me. There was one time my Religious Education teacher berated me about not doing my homework for two weeks and he walked off and I started talking to my mates and he turned around and said "What was that?! !!" and all of a sudden he accused me of muttering somethin under my breath and I clearly didn't mutter anything and we got into an argument, he sent me out of the class and he came out and gave me this rant about how I should respect my teachers and I looked at him and said "Respect you? After you just accused me of something I didn't do?" and then he took me on a trip around the school, first we were looking for my form teacher, then we were looking for my year head, then we were looking for the VP, then we were looking for the principal, and looked at him and said "I love sightseeing and all but I would prefer to waste my time sitting in your class waiting for the bell to ring than walkin around looking for staff members who clearly aren't here" and then the bell rang and he said "report to my class tomorrow" and then I didn't report, which was quite funny cos nothing happened after that. That moment was funny, but my life in school had very few good moments unfortunately.

Shadowgirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 May 2009, 7:58 am

Cicely wrote:
When I was in 9th grade one of my teachers caught me skipping a pep rally (technically those are optional, even though everyone is expected to go) because all the noise would cause me sensory overload to the point where I'd have an anxiety attack. He yelled at me to go to the pep rally and actually followed me in and watched me the whole time so I had to stay there, which teachers are allowed to do with students who are misbehaving. I wasn't misbehaving; I was just sitting outside and reading. I had a horrible anxiety attack at the pep rally, of course. He told me to "knock it off" and was really mean about it, but whenever he saw me skipping a rally after that he just made some comment about my lack of school spirit and left me alone.

I hated pep rallies too. I would go home during them (I just lived down the street) have some lunch then go back up when it was over and I have always done it just right and never did get caught.

You can also hide in the bathrooms. Now here is the trick to it...you have to pretend you are feeling sick and if caught just say you have been throwing up and don't want to lose it at the pep rally. If you play your cards right they will either leave you alone or make you go to the nurse. Just don't drop the act.

I have also been able to hide in the Library behind a book shelf and just sit and read the whole time.

Does God Exist? Here is proof he does.
http://www.everystudent.com/features/is ... 2godMANp2w

kchikage
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 May 2009, 9:00 am

I don't rmb of being bullied as i dunn care much about watever they do and think about me and I am not sure what is considered as bully.
Somehow, some teachers like me very much which i dun understand why.

There is one teacher who make me a little upset, I ask her question becoz of curiosity but she went to port me at the teacher-in-charge... stupid teacher lol. Does she know that her doings make her more stupid than not anwering my questions?

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 3:32 am

teachers target me whenever it becomes aparent that im more intelegent they are or when i corect them.