Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Xuluwuki
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jun 2013, 12:38 pm

I'm having my semi-conductor final next monday and I don't know how to study it. Me and my peers never understood the whole thing. By the end, the teacher even admitted he had "made errors" in his learning plan. So basically he said he screwed up. But finals are finals and I need to pass. How can I study for something I never understood? I'm really having a hard time because the only things that keep me focused are the subjects I'm intrested in and which I understood. Could you please help me? Thanks.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2013, 2:18 pm

That's a tough question. It very much depends on your learning style.
For me if I write everything I think I need to know (flat out copy from the book) I'm good to go.
If you can at least rote memorize what is likely to be on the test, AND if he grades on the "curve" AND you get higher than most of your peers - you'll likely pass.

In one of my chemistry classes I had the lowest high-score the teacher had seen in twenty years - meaning I got a dumb 'A+'.
But his philosophy was: "If everybody is low then the teacher must be the problem."

Or you could merely be a worrying perfectionist, in which case you'll be fine.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2013, 7:41 pm

1401b wrote:
That's a tough question. It very much depends on your learning style.
For me if I write everything I think I need to know (flat out copy from the book) I'm good to go.
If you can at least rote memorize what is likely to be on the test, AND if he grades on the "curve" AND you get higher than most of your peers - you'll likely pass.

In one of my chemistry classes I had the lowest high-score the teacher had seen in twenty years - meaning I got a dumb 'A+'.
But his philosophy was: "If everybody is low then the teacher must be the problem."

Or you could merely be a worrying perfectionist, in which case you'll be fine.

I recommend reading into the practical applications of why you're studying semiconductors. I can always infer more about CPUs on familiar hardware and stack after all.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 3:07 am

If it's in the notes or assigned reading material, have it committed to memory. If you worked any example or homework problems, make sure you know how to work all of them 100% correctly, and that you understand all the steps involved. That should pretty much cover it! Since you said "next Monday" I'm assuming in like 8 days, so that should give you plenty of time, if you devote 1-3 hours a night that should be more than enough time (depending on how much material it covers and how fast you're able to commit it to memory, of course)

One thing I've learned in school is that understanding the material is not always as important as memorizing the material, since most tests require you to simply recall facts or problem-solving steps.

Xuluwuki
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jun 2013, 8:34 am

Thank you for your help but it doesn't want to happen. I just can't study and I'm failing to understand the whole thing. And next monday was meant as tomorrow. All that happens in my brain is YOU CANNOT LEARN CANNOT LEARN. I'm totally stressed-out. The f*****g whole s**t crap electricity will fail my college. I'm good at programming, scripting, networking, electronics,... basically everything EXCEPT scumbag electricity :evil: . I really want to choke the teachers to death. It happened almost in the past. And everyone is putting so much pressure on me. My ear is inflammed and is making this BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBbEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPP sound. Why must everything bad happen to me? I'm feeling crappy and like some large tumor is going to explode in my brain.

I want the whole grade blackmailing to end. It's been enough. Really. I hate grades. I want to show people results not some numbers.
I need help.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 3:14 pm

I would suggest memorizing it if that would help at all. From what I remember, it takes 16 repetitions for the brain to learn something.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Xuluwuki
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jun 2013, 7:14 am

Just got back from exam. It was a horrible fail :cry: . How am I going to explain it to my parents?

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 7:58 am

explain what you explained to us: that the teacher basically messed up.
since your teacher admitted to it, he should be willing to also explain to your parents...