Which state should I attend college?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 7:15 pm

I would like feedback from some of the members of WP, on which state I should attend school.

I am majoring in geology, so that may give somebody an idea of things.

What would be the advantages and disadvantages of attending school in certain places?

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Hoorahville
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2007, 9:20 pm

Not Louisiana.

Seriously. Even the people that do go to college here are more likely to immediately leave Louisiana than to stay.

Besides, we're right next to Mississippi. :lol:

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 12:07 am

If I remember correctly, the University of Hawaii has a really good geology program...since they have all those volcanoes around.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 4:35 am

urm.

I think oregon has a good geo program somwhere.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 12:04 pm

Wisconsin, definitely Wisconsin.

University of Wisconsin-Madison (UWM) has a beautiful campus, friendly people, and plenty of academic programs. I visited a friend there once, and I absolutely loved the place, every minute of it I was there. Madison is somewhat reminiscent of European cities with its architecture and layout, although the street grid is more ordered. As something I loved about Madison in particular, was the large number of historic railroad buildings. The university is a big party school, but don't let that stop you. The people there are friendly, and I didn't get any hostility from anyone, even from hardcore NTs (fraternity/sorority types), although there was one misunderstanding. I don't know if UWM has a geology program, but you can check it out here: http://www.wisc.edu.

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 2:30 am

Cyanide wrote:
If I remember correctly, the University of Hawaii has a really good geology program...since they have all those volcanoes around.
Make sure it is UH: Hilo, though :)

I'm going to Arizona for college.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 3:21 am

mikh07 wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

Why Hilo?

Tim

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 10:56 am

You've asked this before, and I've replied before, Idaho, of course.

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 5:34 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
mikh07 wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

Why Hilo?

Tim
Hilo is where the volcanoes are.. like Kiluea and theres like 4 other ones but I think only one of the 4 erupted in the last 20 years. Manoa is just uhh.. a city and beaches. Hilo has beaches with lava rock sand! It's really cool; black sand. It also snows on one of the mountains.. I think it's Mauna Kea.

Yeah, Hawai'i is the name of the island (the city) Hilo is on. Manoa is on Oahu. Kinda confusing, Island of Hawai'i and Hawaii. We just call it 'the big island'.

JBM
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2007, 5:11 pm

If you're wanting cheap out of state tuition, then look at high ranking public schools in states that have low average income, like Kentucky or West Virginia. Even though the state may suck the university can still be really good, and at least on campus it is an academic atmosphere.

Try looking on Wikipedia for info about colleges, it is usually more consice than any other place, and yes it is accurate and fact checked

If you want any information about the U. of Louisville or U of Kentucky let me know, I go to U of L & my sister works at UK's registar's office

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 10:08 pm

Don't bother with college,waste of precious time,hard-earned money and too much work.

TennisFanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2007, 10:35 pm

Unknown wrote:
Don't bother with college,waste of precious time,hard-earned money and too much work.

I agree that "college isn't for everyone", but (in your case) would tend to PSOT in the other direction! :

If you think you'll do well in college and can afford it, then GO FOR IT! !

If you're not a "Straight A Student", then maybe schools like Harvard might not be the best fit for you.

Check out this site, for starters...

<----- http://www.uscollegesearch.org/geology-colleges.html ----->

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 11:36 pm

lol that sig is awesome

TennisFanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2007, 11:42 pm

mikh07 wrote:
lol that sig is awesome

Thanks for your kind PSOT! :D

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2007, 1:58 am

mikh07 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
mikh07 wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

Why Hilo?

Tim
Hilo is where the volcanoes are.. like Kiluea and theres like 4 other ones but I think only one of the 4 erupted in the last 20 years. Manoa is just uhh.. a city and beaches. Hilo has beaches with lava rock sand! It's really cool; black sand. It also snows on one of the mountains.. I think it's Mauna Kea.

Yeah, Hawai'i is the name of the island (the city) Hilo is on. Manoa is on Oahu. Kinda confusing, Island of Hawai'i and Hawaii. We just call it 'the big island'.

Isn't there a green sand beach (olivine) somewhere on the Big Island? It's not in Hawaii, but I heard that there was a place with a red sand beach (I think it was somewhere in Africa), the sand is finely-ground garnet.

Tim

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2007, 2:20 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
mikh07 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
mikh07 wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

Why Hilo?

Tim

Isn't there a green sand beach (olivine) somewhere on the Big Island? It's not in Hawaii, but I heard that there was a place with a red sand beach (I think it was somewhere in Africa), the sand is finely-ground garnet.

Tim
would this help? http://www.sease.com/regina/hawaiibeaches.html