Should I inform my classmates that I have Asperger's?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2013, 3:48 pm

I don't know what the people are like at your school, but I would not tell anyone, unless we were friends or it was extremely relevant and I trust the person not to tell people. Even if people would be nice to you about it, I think it's best for them not to have preconceived ideas about you before getting to know you.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 4:04 pm

If you like being bullied, yes.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

29 Sep 2013, 4:06 pm

It is up to you, really.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 9:20 am

For me, whether or not I disclose that information depends on what my relationship is like with the person, as well as what the person is like. If I'm close enough to the person that I can confide in them about various things, and if I know they're intelligent and mature enough to be able to take that information in, then I wouldn't mind telling them so much. Casual college friends, though? Probably not.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 3:42 pm

Out of experience, if you say you do have Aspergers, well, it won't be pleasant.

Only the teachers at school and one of my friends (he's senior) knows I have it. He's an Aspie too, but sometimes kind of perverted. Oh well. He's a good friend.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 5:49 am

Tequila wrote:
If you like being bullied, yes.

katkore wrote:
children and teenagers are capable of unbelievable cruelty towards what is different

Well, one thing I should make clear is that a couple of my classes are AP level, and the students there aren't half as bad as the kids in the Honors and Standard ( 8O ) level classes. I already had some essays about Asperger's peer reviewd by AP English Classmates and they didn't bat an eye. What I am slighly anxious about is word of it getting into my Honors (Astronomy and Economics) and Standard (Gym) Classes.

One thing is, I wont be bullied becuase I wont allow it. No one I know bullies me because, since elementary school, I don't put up with it. I'll be expeeled before I let someone do that to me, :twisted: and I wont be a passivist.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 7:02 am

Asperger96 wrote:
One thing is, I wont be bullied becuase I wont allow it. No one I know bullies me because, since elementary school, I don't put up with it. I'll be expeeled before I let someone do that to me, :twisted: and I wont be a passivist.

Well, in any case, I'm glad you can stand up for yourself. :wink:

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 6:58 pm

Well, I personally have decided that I'd bring it up if it was relevant somehow to what's going on, but I seriously think that it would just happen on impulse, because when I actually think it through, people who are my friends or acquaintances who don't understand what it is may think less of me in a way that may effect something that I can't reverse. I don't think that it really needs to be kept a secret though. At the same time, it could be a danger for someone to know.
I don't know what I should do either. I think that I just wouldn't bring it up, but if someone directly asks me, I'm not going to lie.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2013, 7:35 pm

An acquaintance of mine who is an Aspie has brought it up, but he is fairly popular. People assume I am mentally-deficient because I don't talk all that often, so they'd likely just use it as another excuse to torment me.

DeviousDani
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2013, 4:29 am

No, only close friends you trust, people don't need to know and they could discriminate against you.
Teens are cruel, I don't think it's a good idea to share something so personal with people you don't know that well

Yayoi
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2013, 2:19 am

Nope. It's pretty much social suicide. If word got out that I had it, I'd push so hard to move schools. Some people might think it means you're mentally disabled, which would be hell.