restrictive behavior or being OCD?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 6:18 pm

Hey guys well unfortunately I'm out of classes for the week due to an upper respiratory infection so my sense of routine went to hell, However it got me to thinking that when I'm waiting for the teacher to come to unlock the class room I'm almost in a panic to quickly get to my seat in the class room (normally back corner row) before somebody else decides to take my spot normally people whom sit in the back are "space fillers" meaning that they show up chat on their cell phones and/or sleep or are otherwise unproductive, I sit in the back so that I can see the front of the room better and to reduce the risk of people talking about me behind my back.

It's almost like I'm in a panic to get to my seat first even tho I don't physically show it.

Last year I had my space in another class room which was upfront and off to the side so that I can call over the teacher if I needed extra help one day I placed my binder in the area I sit at and when I returned somebody else took my seat I tired asking the person that was sitting there that I was sitting there and had my binder there she was like oh well I looked at the teacher while understanding and she hinted to me there's nothing I can do so I had to sit somewhere else were I felt very uneasy I don't want that to happen this time

Now, I'm wondering if I'm being OCD about getting to my seat before anybody else can get to it or if this is 'typical' behavior for those whom are on the spectrum.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 6:27 pm

I don't think you have OCD unless you show other symptoms. I think it's just a symptom of autism--preferring routines and sameness.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 6:35 pm

Agreee with the previous poster, it's just AS routine and sameness, not obsesssive-compulsive.

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

06 Feb 2015, 7:28 pm

I agree with the others as well. (Also, obsessive compulsive personality disorder - different from OCD - has been found in individuals with AS.)

Occasionally I'll get nervous about making sure I get my seat, but for the most part, people in my classes don't seem to change seats (which is wonderful for me). We definitely just crave sameness of routines. I kind of wonder why that is though... I mean we definitely seem to get upset or anxious when we can't have routines, but why?

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 1:23 am

Jezebel wrote:
I agree with the others as well. (Also, obsessive compulsive personality disorder - different from OCD - has been found in individuals with AS.)

Occasionally I'll get nervous about making sure I get my seat, but for the most part, people in my classes don't seem to change seats (which is wonderful for me). We definitely just crave sameness of routines. I kind of wonder why that is though... I mean we definitely seem to get upset or anxious when we can't have routines, but why?

I dunno why that is, I will say this go around is going smoother then last year I think because instead of me having to focus on 3-5 subjects at one time I actually have a dedicated math class and it's clear what is expected of me and I have a Reading class which has changed focus (luckily for me) to one topic last year I signed up for online classes with a Friday in class thinking that was the best route however I didn't know on Friday they shove 3-5 subjects on you with little to no time to transition.