I can't find the career I want to do

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Joehotto101
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2015, 3:25 pm

So I am a incoming freshman into a community college in Oceanside (Mira Costa), and I am supposed to plan for classes by July 10th so I can enroll in them. My goal is to transfer to a 4-year university (UCLA, Berkeley, UCI, etc.) Most classes will be full by then because I don't have priority and I am a new student. I am worried about enrolling in a class that I will hate and drop out of. My expertise skills are:
- Solving Math Problems
- Thinking Logically
- Studying Current Events and presenting them
- Interest in Aviation

I want to do Engineering, but I don't study physics or computers in my spare time (I often watch YouTube videos and read articles) and am very clumsy (It is very important to have precision in engineering). I am very rigid and often fear uncertainty. I also spent a long time taking personality quizzes as well.

My question is: How do I find the career that I am interested in without delaying my graduation status?

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 4:39 pm

In addition to whatever course work directly relates to engineering, I'm assuming there will be core requirements in humanities you will have to complete. So focusing on those, I might think a course or two in Philosophy/Logic and maybe Political Science might interest you. As an Aspie I always found psychology courses interesting.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 4:42 pm

And oh, Statistics may well interest you, and is a requirement for a surprising number of majors.

LillaA
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2015, 6:47 pm

Your first year of classes really don't have to be related to your major at all, just the general requirements everyone has to take - writing, science, history, math, etc. You can at *least* fill up your 1st semester with those while you debate options for a major. Most students don't pick the major that they graduate with till their 2nd or 3rd year anyway. Myself, I graduated within 4 years, but picked my final major (Accounting) when I was just a couple credits shy of being a Junior. So, you've got time before you have to have a for-sure decision.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 7:01 pm

I don't see being clumsy as an issue for an engineer. A pilot, certainly, but not an engineer.
If you can easily get an engineering degree, it is perhaps as good as anything else when it comes to getting a job. Lots of engineering grads actually find employment outside of engineering. The degree shows you can do something regarded as "hard" by the NT communtiy.

You might look for something you can do easily, yet is highly valued by society. Aspies have enough issues that they shouldn't make things harder than need be. If you get paid enough, you can always spend a lot of money on your hobbies :D

Also, where you work is often more important than what you actually do, when it comes to stresses that drive Apies (also NTs) crazy.

Joehotto101
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2015, 10:56 pm

LillaA wrote:
Your first year of classes really don't have to be related to your major at all, just the general requirements everyone has to take - writing, science, history, math, etc. You can at *least* fill up your 1st semester with those while you debate options for a major. Most students don't pick the major that they graduate with till their 2nd or 3rd year anyway. Myself, I graduated within 4 years, but picked my final major (Accounting) when I was just a couple credits shy of being a Junior. So, you've got time before you have to have a for-sure decision.

I am still deciding if I want to do Engineering or a Letters of Arts & Science major. In Community Colleges in California, some colleges don't accept IGETC for Engineering Majors due to the highly technical courses they offer. The thing scaring me away from Engineering is the incredibly low acceptance rate for the Engineering Schools at the universities. Also, at MiraCosta, there is a long waiting list for the Honors Society, which has smaller classes, better counselers, and a better chance of getting into UC schools.

Factory Ten
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jul 2015, 3:54 pm

Ever thought about doing maintenance on planes? I imagine logical thinking and an interest in aviation would be major benefits. I don't know if mathematics or current events would have a major role in such a career though.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 3:46 pm

Have you thought about seeing a career counselor? They should help you find suitable career paths for you.

pineapplehead
Raven
Raven

17 Jul 2015, 9:20 pm

You could major in statistics, although you'll definitely have to go to Master's/PhD for that. According to the BLS it's a pretty quickly growing field.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 9:30 pm

i am clumsy, but did well in my physics courses. the precision needed is mental, not physical.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 9:52 pm

you could invite an engineer to lunch and ask him what it's like to do his job. same for other fields you're considering.