Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Kirstie04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Oct 2015, 12:21 pm

So after making my point to my tutor about different not being wrong and her suggesting I make my peers in my group of 6 (5 groups of 6 in the whole tutor group) aware of my difficulties so they can hopefully be more understanding, I fell back on my old faithful tool of writing instead of trying to actually talk to them and make a hash of it.

I immediately got one reply from someone over the lunch break which was understanding and supportive but I’m not sure if I’ll get an email response from the others. I’m a bit worried because I don’t the others acknowledged it in any way, so I don’t know if they’ve read it or their reaction. I’ve double checked their emails and they’re definitely correct so I guess I’ve ‘done my bit’ so to speak, to try and bring about awareness and understanding, it’s down to them how they deal with it or respond from there.

I'm trying not to feel embarrassed (if that's the right word :-/) and to take heart and perhaps even a bit of pride for being so open and advocating for myself but it's difficult :hmph:

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 8:38 pm

I think it's a brave thing you did, sending out e-mails and explaining it to your peers. The ball is in their court now, hopefully they will all be as supportive as the first answer you got back, and if one or two or a few aren't, then it really doesn't matter.

Good luck to you.

Kirstie04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2015, 4:57 am

Thanks :) . I think perhaps, as I think I mentioned in an earlier topic/post, it might be a bit more difficult as I don't yet have an official diagnosis (I'm hoping my assessment will be before the new year or shortly after). I'm not sure if this is the right word or way to say it but I feel like it will validate my difficulties and experiences (?) (the good too, which in some cases others unfortunately sometimes see as wrong, just because it's different).

I know people say nothing actually changes whether you have a diagnosis or not and to a certain extent I agree but hopefully I will feel more validated and confident in advocating for myself and in a better position mentally to continue onwards in understanding myself better and finding ways to mitigate the difficulties I have and build on the positives.