Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2005, 2:17 pm

They have gotten rid of every PE course excpet 9th grade pe course, yet they are upset by the fat-ness of students. How does that work?

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2005, 5:41 pm

If people have the option to be lazy most people will choose to be lazy...

Most people would rather watch a vicious football game than play in one for example... most people would rather watch a documentary about hiking than actually hike...

Human nature...

magic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2005, 6:23 pm

Feste-Fenris wrote:
most people would rather watch a documentary about hiking than actually hike...

I guess then that I am certainly unlike most people. I love to hike, but do not enjoy watching TV much. I dislike the PE-class-style sports though, and while being a college freshman, I decided that I had enough PE in my life, and got a medical waiver.

Rakkety_Tamm, what schools do not have PE classes?

Last edited by magic on 10 Jan 2005, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2005, 9:06 pm

I've spent my whole life hiking... let me tell you; hiking is fun while it lasts but an hour afterwards it feels like your legs are rotting off...

magic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2005, 7:04 am

Feste-Fenris wrote:
I've spent my whole life hiking... let me tell you; hiking is fun while it lasts but an hour afterwards it feels like your legs are rotting off...

That's the fun part - makes me feel alive! I do not feel completely rested if I can still move my legs. :)

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2005, 8:34 am

Heheh.. I also like to hike. I'm not sure about the whole "legs falling off" part, but I really enjoy it when the oxygen is just flooding my lungs, and I can feel my muscles stretching and "waking up."

Unfortunately, I'm not in very good shape, and am pretty busy in school in the city, so I don't get to hike much.

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2005, 8:54 am

I hear that...

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2005, 9:01 am

Do colleges in the US have mandatory PE classes? 8O

That seems unbelievable to me. If you go to college/university you are voluntarily choosing a course of study, and certainly shouldn't be forced to participate in anything not related to your personal educational goals. :x

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2005, 9:08 am

9th grade = year 9 = 13/14 year olds, i believe, dunc.

anyway, how much good does an hour or two of PE do when people spend most of their time shoving hamburgers and coke down their necks. beats me why schools get blamed for everything. sigh. i should be used to it by now, i suppose, though.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2005, 9:14 am

I realise that morgvis - I was responding to magic's comment:

magic wrote:
I dislike the PE-class-style sports though, and while being a college freshman, I decided that I had enough PE in my life, and got a medical waiver.
8O

Dunc

FOR THE HORDE!

Dan
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2005, 12:54 pm

duncvis wrote:
Do colleges in the US have mandatory PE classes?

Mine does. For students under Catalog 123 (Class of '04) and earlier, the requirement was 4 semesters, but the classes after us only have to have 2.

magic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2005, 2:15 pm

Dunc, I was also 8O when, as a 19-year-old adult, I learned that 6 semesters of mandatory PE await me. PE was always a source of bad grades and a ridicule for me, so you might imagine how happy that made me, being treated like a first-grader. :) I graduated from the university in Poland, not the US, though.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2005, 2:26 pm

Still wibbling in amazement - no one would tolerate such a thing here in the UK! Considering as a group most of us spent PE at school struggling, being ostracised or tormented by 'jocks', being subjected to it again as adults must be a violation of civil liberties surely? Those of you having this imposed on you have my deepest sympathy. It's enough to put anyone off going to college.

Dunc

FOR THE HORDE!

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2005, 2:31 pm

duncvis wrote:
I realise that morgvis - I was responding to magic's comment

whoops - sorry bruv - didn't mean to sound patronising. :(

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2005, 7:56 am

I suppose in this regard I'm lucky that I'm a girl. I was actually accusing of being too much into the game when we played soccer (we were always divided by gender, thank god, because the guys enjoyed ricocheting (sp???) the ball off of the wall and into eachother's heads). I played soccer (very poorly) for a recreational league for about a year and a half, so I knew a bit more than most of the girls in my class did, and they got really angry at me for "kicking the ball too hard." :roll:

Other than soccer, though, I really prefered just to sit on the bench and watch, or attempt to "shoot hoops" rather than actually playing, and that was much more acceptable (even expected) amongst the girls in the class.

Oh- and my college does not require gym. We don't even have PE classes. It's an art school.

Chris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2005, 7:36 pm

I don't take PE. My parents won't let me. When I started middle school, PE was not coed anymore, which means we had to always change into specific clothes in our separate locker rooms. Fearing sexual harassment (and that fear being perfectly rational thanks to some of my previous experiences involving a babysitter :cry: ) they removed me from PE indefinitely. I'm happy about that. I HATE SPORTS! :evil:

:star: