Online course order -- which way do you think is best?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

thevampslayer
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Oct 2016, 4:45 pm

I'm finishing up my high school diploma online, but I'm stuck deciding between two different orders I could do my courses in. Initially, I was planning to follow this schedule:

Gr. 11 Biology
Gr. 11 Functions
Gr. 12 English
Gr. 11 Chemistry
Gr. 11 Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology
Gr. 12 Advanced Functions
Gr. 12 Biology
Gr. 12 Chemistry
Gr. 12 Philosophy
Gr. 12 Calculus and Vectors

The idea behind this schedule was that I'd be alternating between the courses I enjoy more (bio, English, etc.) and the courses that are more challenging for me (math and chem) so I wouldn't get burnt out doing too many hard courses all at once. But then my dad suggested that something like this might be easier:

Gr. 11 Biology
Gr. 12 Biology
Gr. 11 Functions
Gr. 12 Advanced Functions
Gr. 12 Calculus and Vectors
Gr. 12 English
Gr. 12 Philosophy
Gr. 11 Chemistry
Gr. 12 Chemistry
Gr. 11 Anthropology/Sociology/Psychology

I'm still not totally sure on the order, but you get the idea. At first I thought, "Nah, three math courses in a row? No way I can stay motivated and focuses on a subject I hate for that long." but my dad does have a point. If I'm actually able to stay on track, I'll probably get higher marks in the upper level courses if everything I learned in previous courses is still fresh in my memory, and I'm hoping to get at least high 80's in all my Gr. 12 courses. So now I'm torn, trying to decide which plan is best. Which one would you guys pick and why?

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2016, 6:45 am

I think that, if you're anything like me, then it's best to space out difficult classes and alternate them with easier classes or classes you enjoy more to keep you motivated. If you're anything like me, 2 hours is the maximum amount of time you can focus or concentrate. Three math classes in a row is a bit too much. I would choose the first option.

Go with your gut feeling.