Page 2 of 22 [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2018, 11:44 pm

That’s all he needs—aside from his personal identification.

I was saying that credits from a community college count the same as credits from Yale or Harvard. Ezra may be under the mistaken impression that community college is at the “bottom of the barrel” as far as colleges go.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2018, 11:49 pm

EzraS wrote:
Chronos wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Chronos wrote:
I went to traditional college and still didn't have the traditional college experience.

Did you go there to have a college experience or to get a degree? Getting a degree seems to be missing from ASS-P's collage aspirations.

I was aiming for a degree but I had also wanted the social experiences and opportunities.

ASS-P wants to study film if I recall. He also wants a normal college experience. That is understandable. It's ok to want things.

I think it's okay to want things within limits.

It's okay to want them boundlessly.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2018, 11:55 pm

Why can’t ASS-P just take the GED?

My wife passed it practically off the boat from Trinidad...and she hadn’t been in school for about 30 years.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2018, 11:58 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I was saying that credits from a community college count the same as credits from Yale or Harvard. Ezra may be under the mistaken impression that community college is at the “bottom of the barrel” as far as colleges go.

Honestly I got a better education at community college than a "world class university". At community college, they instruct. They deliver the information in a orderly, efficient manner with topic headers and bullet points so students know what information they are responsible for, and all subjects are taught this way.

At universities a lot of the professors don't instruct, they lecture. They stand up there and start talking...at least in the liberal arts, and who knows what is actually relevant to know.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 12:00 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

My wife passed it practically off the boat from Trinidad...and she hadn’t been in school for about 30 years.

He doesn’t want to take the GED. He feels that as he did graduate from high school he shouldn’t have to take an equivalency exam. He gets a bit irritated if it’s suggested.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 12:00 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I just meant that in my case attending the local cc is the most practical next step to take. Provided that I don't attend somewhere online exclusively.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 12:03 am

AnneOleson wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

He doesn’t want to take the GED. He feels that as he did graduate from high school he shouldn’t have to take an equivalency exam. He gets a bit irritated if it’s suggested.

What would be the point of a high school graduate getting a GED?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 12:05 am

It might be his only recourse.

Unless he goes back to Anne’s advice about only needing an address to obtain the records.

A GED course would provide structure for him. And take him away from dealing with his situation.

The point of this.....is to get his foot in the door at the community college.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 12:07 am

EzraS wrote:
AnneOleson wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

What would be the point of a high school graduate getting a GED?
. Exactly.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 12:12 am

He has to PROVE that he is a high school graduate.

ASS-P has all the time in the world. A six-hour test would not take him away from doing “more important things.”

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 12:21 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
He has to PROVE that he is a high school graduate.

ASS-P has all the time in the world. A six-hour test would not take him away from doing “more important things.”

Isn't a college capable of ascertaining if someone graduated a high school? I mean isn't that what they do anyways rather than assume a diploma (or other paperwork) you'd hand them isn't fake?

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2018, 12:28 am

I don't know of a college (cc, 4-year, uni) around here (midwest US) that doesn't require a high school transcript (assuming one does not have a bachelor's degree already). Saying one has graduated (or has a ged) isn't enough; one must provide the sealed proof from the school (directly from the school via digital submission, directly from the school via mail, from the student via sealed envelope directly from the school, etc). I transferred from uni to cc and still had to provide my hs transcript.

EzraS wrote:
What I'm wondering is what the college ASS-P is applying to is asking for beyond him having graduated from high school or having gotten a GED.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 12:33 am

Yep.....that is what they require.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 12:40 am

Provided he dresses okay, and doesn’t act like too much of an ass in class, and provided he has a permanent place to live, I feel ASS-P can succeed at least in Intro courses.

When he works at it, I’ve seen him write decently-worded posts. His seeming gibberish is caused by lack of editing for various reasons.....some of them beyond his control.

And he has to move forward and away from ruminating about the past. The obsession with the past has sometimes destroyed the best of people.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 12:52 am

Blue_Star wrote:
I don't know of a college (cc, 4-year, uni) around here (midwest US) that doesn't require a high school transcript (assuming one does not have a bachelor's degree already). Saying one has graduated (or has a ged) isn't enough; one must provide the sealed proof from the school (directly from the school via digital submission, directly from the school via mail, from the student via sealed envelope directly from the school, etc). I transferred from uni to cc and still had to provide my hs transcript.

That's what I was talking about. I just thought that was done automatically by the college rather than the applicant having to act as a middleman. I'm kind of surprised these days it's still a paperwork via snail mail system.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 1:23 am

...I did indeed get annoyed at the taking S GED - I Don't believe that they are for people who graduated HS, which I DID. I believe that the people who offer them do not intend them for people who have HS diplomas! :x I think that would really be considered improper by them!
If you say so, Anne, but I don't' know that I remember ever saying what the name of my HS was on this board. Anyway, it's not just a question if the recovery odds, that's just the beginning of things - There is the question of whether, now, I can general do it if I do try - Whether I am up to it, even whether my health is up to it now :(. And, yes, whether, even if I am, whether I could navigate past the shoals and even get in :| . That said, that permits me to say this in a thread that is not a reply to someone unfriendly - As far as going against my health goes, I do operate under enough optimism to hope - and assume - that my health will get better! I have improved in some ways recently - It would take some time to set everything up, I would hope I would improve during that time!
As far as the question of my mobility goes, perhaps, if I got into a unique, I would need an electric wheelchair to get to classes on time, at least part of the time. I would likely need somethinv if a handicapped-made easier for room - I could use one now! This motel room is not handicapped-made, and I do have some problems here, although U will not digress about that here. Getting around on a unique would me more compact than getting to classes from outside - I not only do not h
own a car, I long since do not have a driver's liscence :(. I have not driven this century, Ibelieve. And, though perhaps I could get a driver's licence again - Will I ever be in the financial and personal position to ever own a car, ever :? ? I tend to doubt that. My inner idea if that tends more towards thinking that, if I achieve a more " normal " life and, in that, have a driver's licence again - I'd follow " those kewell, car-disliking, Millenials " and occasionally get some.thing from one of those " car-sharing " outfits that have sprung up in recent years ears - Not Hertz or Avis, just as Uber and Left sort of differ from traditional " take " services. Just as I Don't have a full-fleged computer and question whether I'll ever have the money - and good stability, and connections and knowledge to have one although that might be more reachable - and wanted/needed :o - than a car. . As far as unique-going in my handicapped state - Which is, I imagine, " rest of my life ", I don't believe the CHF will ever fully go away, though it could improve some I guess :| - And I imagine the toes won't ever be growing back :cry: . though I guess that's sort of cosmetic. - In't it generally considered admirable for someone handicapped to try and pursue education? Would the putters-down of my idea of going to university because of my handicaps say the same things to someone younger who was the same degree of handicapped? :(
You know, I am surprised that someone above, here, out down the idea of taking an online course. I tended to think that at least some would go " Rah, rah, rah! Take an online course! It's the latest thing! ". :P :x 8) I do not have a full-fleged computer, and I think that all the alleged wonderful bells and whistles of an online course are any good without a fairly good computer - And, if course, I do not have a true home :| . I hope that people would not suggest " You could just take a laptop and hang around Starbucks' all day "! :twisted: That said, I could take an okay online course...if it was to get credits that would get you into university, and not just take more online courses.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!