university disability "accomodations"

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

11 Dec 2007, 2:13 pm

I have tried to get accommodations in my University in the past to use a word processor to take essay tests since I am slow at hand writing things. Unfortunately in order to receive accomodations, I have to take the test in "testing" rooms with computers which are more distracting than the classrooms are during tests. Usually the testing rooms are close to some noisy distraction and I end up doing worse than I would have if I had been in the class with my laptop. It seems unfair that I can't receive my accommodations and take the test along with everybody else. It seems like I should have the legal right to take the test with everyone else.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 2:34 pm

alex wrote:
I have tried to get accommodations in my University in the past to use a word processor to take essay tests since I am slow at hand writing things. Unfortunately in order to receive accomodations, I have to take the test in "testing" rooms with computers which are more distracting than the classrooms are during tests. Usually the testing rooms are close to some noisy distraction and I end up doing worse than I would have if I had been in the class with my laptop. It seems unfair that I can't receive my accommodations and take the test along with everybody else. It seems like I should have the legal right to take the test with everyone else.

Strange enough, I took three essay exams and the professors wrote on the test taking sheet the use of a word processor. I had no problems passing the exams. Its my writing style that needs to work on lol. I think ODS does wanted to cause other students to get mad at the professors that they can't use their labtops for the same essay exams. I take my test through ODS and helps to have less stress and less distractions as well. I think we do have the right to take a test with everyone else but also we must considered the effects and reactions of the other students and the university's policies on treating the students equally and fair.

alex
Developer
Developer

11 Dec 2007, 2:40 pm

Arguing that it's not fair is like saying it's not fair for a blind person to use a guide dog in places where pets aren't allowed.

Every student who has a disability that comes with a handwriting problem should be given the right to use a computer.

What's ODS? I assume it stands for something like office of disability services. And that's great if you are helped by that program. It doesn't change the fact that students with disabilities should be given equal rights.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 2:47 pm

Does your school use BlackBoard?

--->BLACKBOARD

If so, then the instructor or the testing center could load your exams on that and you would just need an internet connection in the classroom to do your tests on your laptop.

You should have recourse for this if the testing center is not meeting your needs.

Someone at the University should have the authority to correct the situation I would hope.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 2:52 pm

alex wrote:
Arguing that it's not fair is like saying it's not fair for a blind person to use a guide dog in places where pets aren't allowed.

Every student who has a disability that comes with a handwriting problem should be given the right to use a computer.

What's ODS?

I agree with disability people with writing problems should have the right to use a computer. Fairness is also important with the blinded, deaf, and other disabilities. ODS stands for Office of Disability Services.

alex
Developer
Developer

11 Dec 2007, 2:53 pm

wsmac wrote:
Does your school use BlackBoard?

--->BLACKBOARD

If so, then the instructor or the testing center could load your exams on that and you would just need an internet connection in the classroom to do your tests on your laptop.

My tests generally consist of 2-4 essay questions so I wouldn't really need an online version of the test. I really only need a word processor.

I'd be ok if I had to take a multiple choice test on paper, though.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 3:01 pm

alex wrote:

What's ODS? I assume it stands for something like office of disability services. And that's great if you are helped by that program. It doesn't change the fact that students with disabilities should be given equal rights.

I feel the same way.

Last edited by JerryHatake on 11 Dec 2007, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 3:05 pm

Alex - I think the general (and probably mostly unfounded) fear is that somehow you'll cheat by bringing in your own laptop.

Perhaps you could ask for the use of a department laptop - if ODS won't check one out to you, perhaps the professor would be willing to let you use one of the departments' laptops? Have you approached him or her about the distraction problem?

At our school ODS has done a few different things. In one case they arranged for a laptop from the media services dept to be in the classroom when the student arrived. There was no way cheating could occur then. In another case I know of, the student bypassed ODS entirely and discussed his problem with the instructor, who worked out a similar process - the department provided a quiet room and one of our own laptops. There should be no reason you should not be able to take the test in the same room as everyone else other than the potential for cheating if you bring in your own machine.... {that is, it should be ok if they provide the machine.}

Yes, agreed, I can't write worth a damn with my hands but can keyboard with the best of them. Unfortunately, I went through school before laptops and it cost me bigtime in grades (much lower, in some cases, than they would have been had I been able to type the papers). When I took my comprehensive, six hour written exam for my master's program, we all had to type our responses. Unfortunately, it was in a scenario you describe - a loud room, on very old wordprocessors using a program I was not familiar with. In an uncomfortable chair. I did pass, but only with good grades on 3 of the 4 questions. The last question I just squeeked by on - I didn't get time to finish it, having to go back and fiddle with the wordprocessor so much.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Nan on 11 Dec 2007, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 3:05 pm

Research the policies, rules & regulations regerding the time and place of an exam.

I think the university's position might be that they don't know what else is on your computer.

Our library has a small ADA computer room. It also has a small computer lab reserved for graduate students. Are the computers they're offering you the only ones they have to offer you?

- Emerson

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 3:20 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
alex wrote:
Arguing that it's not fair is like saying it's not fair for a blind person to use a guide dog in places where pets aren't allowed. Every student who has a disability that comes with a handwriting problem should be given the right to use a computer.

You forgot the American with Disabilities Act of 1990 states that we must given equal rights and treatment in the school system and work place. The Federal Government does enforced that law, there are people in the work place and school system who can be jerks because they do not given a care about your feelings and emotions one bit or what your disability is. That is human nature for you. Mason clearly does follow ADA OF 1990 that in my opinion because they tried to help me with my education.

Ok, here's the problem. People think the ADA does more than it does. It really isn't going to help here. It provides that, depending on if a school is public or private that programs must be accessible and/or the buildings themselves must be accessible. The ADA, as far as it is concerned for Alex, has basically been gutted by caselaw and the school is meeting it - he can get to the classroom, he's not being excluded. They are offering what they consider to be reasonable accommodations. Chances are very good that the accommodations they propose as reasonable on their behalf would be considered so by any reviewing agency. They've gone through the motions.

State law might be your best bet here. In California, the state law is much more beneficial. Unfortunately, not all states have helpful laws. The Rehab Act of 1973, section 504, might be of more use if you need to apply leverage on your disabled student services office. Hopefully you won't have to threaten to file a grievance with the Civil Rights people. (You won't want to do that unless it's a really serious issue, as the unofficial repercussions can be drastic.) I would definitely like to see someone challenge the ban on laptops in the classroom if they are a needed accommodation IF there is a university ban on their use. My question is - IS there, or is that that they just don't want to let you take your own in there to do a test on, Alex?

alex
Developer
Developer

11 Dec 2007, 3:29 pm

I use my laptop in class on exams as long as the teacher doesn't say I'm not allowed to do so. But sometimes the teachers make me take the test outside of the classroom.

If I went through the disability center, I would always have to take the test in one of their "exam rooms" which usually have very distracting elements.

I used to use the disability center but stopped when the old director moved to a different university and the amount of red
tape got to the point that I was spending more time arranging the exams than I was actually doing them (most people i've talked to don't seem to have as much a problem with filling out the required paperwork and don't get as distracted as I do in the testing rooms, however).

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 3:30 pm

Nan wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
alex wrote:
Arguing that it's not fair is like saying it's not fair for a blind person to use a guide dog in places where pets aren't allowed. Every student who has a disability that comes with a handwriting problem should be given the right to use a computer.

You forgot the American with Disabilities Act of 1990 states that we must given equal rights and treatment in the school system and work place. The Federal Government does enforced that law, there are people in the work place and school system who can be jerks because they do not given a care about your feelings and emotions one bit or what your disability is. That is human nature for you. Mason clearly does follow ADA OF 1990 that in my opinion because they tried to help me with my education.

Ok, here's the problem. People think the ADA does more than it does. It really isn't going to help here. It provides that, depending on if a school is public or private that programs must be accessible and/or the buildings themselves must be accessible. The ADA, as far as it is concerned for Alex, has basically been gutted by caselaw and the school is meeting it - he can get to the classroom, he's not being excluded. They are offering what they consider to be reasonable accommodations. Chances are very good that the accommodations they propose as reasonable on their behalf would be considered so by any reviewing agency. They've gone through the motions.

State law might be your best bet here. In California, the state law is much more beneficial. Unfortunately, not all states have helpful laws. The Rehab Act of 1973, section 504, might be of more use if you need to apply leverage on your disabled student services office. Hopefully you won't have to threaten to file a grievance with the Civil Rights people. (You won't want to do that unless it's a really serious issue, as the unofficial repercussions can be drastic.) I would definitely like to see someone challenge the ban on laptops in the classroom if they are a needed accommodation IF there is a university ban on their use. My question is - IS there, or is that that they just don't want to let you take your own in there to do a test on, Alex?

I can't disagree but what our documentation of our disabilities mandate the type of accommodations we received.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 3:35 pm

alex wrote:
I use my laptop in class on exams as long as the teacher doesn't say I'm not allowed to do so. But sometimes the teachers make me take the test outside of the classroom.

If I went through the disability center, I would always have to take the test in one of their "exam rooms" which usually have very distracting elements.

I used to use the disability center but stopped when the old director moved to a different university and the amount of red
tape got to the point that I was spending more time arranging the exams than I was actually doing them (most people i've talked to don't seem to have as much a problem with filling out the required paperwork and don't get as distracted as I do in the testing rooms, however).

One person leaving in my opinion is a reason to stop using ODS but you have to understand that people moved on to better things in life. It happens all the time.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 3:41 pm

Alex,

If you feel what is right for you then do it if must. I'm not going to stop you. I find this topic is understandable in your case but I'm looking at the big picture that is all. I said things that may have been misunderstood by you and topic repliers and I got over excited about the subject matter. I am just apologizing for some rude remarks by me.

alex
Developer
Developer

11 Dec 2007, 3:45 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
alex wrote:

One person leaving in my opinion is a reason to stop using ODS but you have to understand that people moved on to better things in life. It happens all the time.

Did you seriously get to that conclusion based on what I wrote? Do you seriously thiink I would stop using a resource because I miss one of its former employees? :huh:

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 3:47 pm

Can you use earplugs to cut down the distracting noise?

It's not ideal, but it might work.