Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

depth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2007, 7:54 am

My dream.

My question:
Is anyone or has anyone been to Oxford to study, and how did they find the experience.
Where there any complications that were caused by your AS?

Would appreciate any input.
I want to study English language and literature, but any experience told about would be okay.

TheZach
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2007, 8:02 am

Smart people tend to have issues (at least from my observations). I think anyone with AS will tend to fit right in with the nerds, geeks, and knowledge sponges.

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.thezach.net/blog">My Blog</a>

E7ernal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2007, 8:34 am

just wanted to say, If you wanted to do English, surely Cambridge would be a better choice?

depth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2007, 8:51 am

E7ernal wrote:
just wanted to say, If you wanted to do English, surely Cambridge would be a better choice?

For some reason I can't imagine myself going to Cambridge. I think it is because I'm obsessed with Oxford.

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 10:49 am

depth wrote:
My dream.

My question:
Is anyone or has anyone been to Oxford to study, and how did they find the experience.

yes. horrendous :cry:

but that was before there was any sort of help for disabled students. it is probably different now.

Quote:
Where there any complications that were caused by your AS?

Would appreciate any input.
I want to study English language and literature, but any experience told about would be okay.

basically i couldn't look after myself at all, would forget to eat and change clothes, couldn't do laundry, couldn't do work, couldn't use libraries, couldn't get to shops and buy stuff, etc etc.

i'd just go home every couple of weeks with a big bag of laundry, mum would feed me up over the weekend and send me back with bags full of snacks and clean clothes :oops:

have you thought about which college?

depth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2007, 2:19 pm

DivaD wrote:
yes. horrendous :cry:

but that was before there was any sort of help for disabled students. it is probably different now.

basically i couldn't look after myself at all, would forget to eat and change clothes, couldn't do laundry, couldn't do work, couldn't use libraries, couldn't get to shops and buy stuff, etc etc.

i'd just go home every couple of weeks with a big bag of laundry, mum would feed me up over the weekend and send me back with bags full of snacks and clean clothes :oops:

have you thought about which college?

Ah. That's what I've been worried about. I know I would do fine about being able to learn what I'm supposed to (thanks to hyperfocus), but the thought of handling the rest makes it very frightening. And I'm also afraid of getting so into it that I can't finish everything in time because I the extent of information I'd have available would swallow me up and I'd forget the other things the course would require of me, past just learning. How did this go for you? If you understand what I mean.

I'm not sure about which college, yet. I am terribly bad at making choices - I fear that in the end I will probably be following other people's recommendations instead of my own instincts in this matter, because it feels safer to me. I would prefer to go to Oxford and decide on the spot, but seeing as I am Swedish, that's not likely to happen in the near future. Sigh.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 6:06 pm

It's one of the finest universities in the world, and, I believe, the oldest in the English-speaking world. I would love being there if only for the history.

If you get accepted, go for it, but it's highly selective, so don't be disappointed if you get rejected.

depth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2007, 12:58 am

Phagocyte wrote:
If you get accepted, go for it, but it's highly selective, so don't be disappointed if you get rejected.

Yes, I know. But it gives a fine goal to work towards. People I've spoken to say I can get in, but them saying that I can doesn't really say much at all, so I'm very aware, and won't be heartbroken. Though, it doesn't stop a girl from dreaming, heh.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2007, 6:22 am

Well, being qualified is about the best that you can do. Keep in mind, if you are a good enough student to get into Oxford, you probably could get into anywhere else. So even if worst-comes-to-worst and you don't get accepted, you could still go to a very prestigious back-up school. You may want to look into some top American schools as well.

Not to be a downer, be sure to take tuition into consideration and weight all the pros and cons. A top school will give you a lot of prestige and a good name, but you may be in dept for a very long time.

Also, just out of curiosity, why are you choosing Oxford?

depth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2007, 8:57 am

Phagocyte wrote:
Well, being qualified is about the best that you can do. Keep in mind, if you are a good enough student to get into Oxford, you probably could get into anywhere else. So even if worst-comes-to-worst and you don't get accepted, you could still go to a very prestigious back-up school. You may want to look into some top American schools as well.

Not to be a downer, be sure to take tuition into consideration and weight all the pros and cons. A top school will give you a lot of prestige and a good name, but you may be in dept for a very long time.

Also, just out of curiosity, why are you choosing Oxford?

This is what my sister (NT) keeps telling me as well. She's currently studying politics in Scotland, herself, because we've both always wanted to study abroad. She didn't get into the school she originally wanted to but is happy where she is, yet it's been Oxford on my part for years. The thought of going somewhere else sounds weird and not worth it. Basically, the only reason I haven't quit school up to this point is that I've been dreaming about Oxford. Pathetic, no?

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2007, 12:58 pm

depth wrote:
Ah. That's what I've been worried about. I know I would do fine about being able to learn what I'm supposed to (thanks to hyperfocus), but the thought of handling the rest makes it very frightening. And I'm also afraid of getting so into it that I can't finish everything in time because I the extent of information I'd have available would swallow me up and I'd forget the other things the course would require of me, past just learning. How did this go for you? If you understand what I mean.

yes, it was my first major experience of overload.... not being able to concentrate on the course because of having spent too much time learning about other irrelevant stuff :lol: don't worry about it though, it's actually something everyone has to work out how to deal with in their own way, it's just a matter of time management and self discipline. and it's easier for those of us who learn 'too much', its much harder for those who can never be bothered to learn anything :twisted:

Quote:
I'm not sure about which college, yet. I am terribly bad at making choices - I fear that in the end I will probably be following other people's recommendations instead of my own instincts in this matter, because it feels safer to me. I would prefer to go to Oxford and decide on the spot, but seeing as I am Swedish, that's not likely to happen in the near future. Sigh.

i guess the first thing to think about is whether you'd need any kinds of disability support. if you count as an EU student that could be complicated, you'd have to find out about that yourself. as for colleges, things to think about might be: do you want a college close to where your department / lectures will be? could be an issue if you don like walking or cycling or public transport. also do you need a college where you have your own room for all 3 or 4 years? or dont you mind sharing or living out some of the time. would you prefer a bigger or smaller college? would you prefer a new college or an old college with 1000 year old buildings with no electricity and outside toilets... well ok they're not that bad :lol:

depth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2007, 1:39 pm

DivaD wrote:
yes, it was my first major experience of overload.... not being able to concentrate on the course because of having spent too much time learning about other irrelevant stuff :lol: don't worry about it though, it's actually something everyone has to work out how to deal with in their own way, it's just a matter of time management and self discipline. and it's easier for those of us who learn 'too much', its much harder for those who can never be bothered to learn anything :twisted:

I suppose you're right about that. And another good thing might be that since I don't tend to have much of a social life, I'll be able to spend more time studying instead of joining all the weird activities around campus. Or how did this go for you? Whenever I mention Oxford people ask me what activities I'm joining. :?

Quote:
i guess the first thing to think about is whether you'd need any kinds of disability support. if you count as an EU student that could be complicated, you'd have to find out about that yourself. as for colleges, things to think about might be: do you want a college close to where your department / lectures will be? could be an issue if you don like walking or cycling or public transport. also do you need a college where you have your own room for all 3 or 4 years? or dont you mind sharing or living out some of the time. would you prefer a bigger or smaller college? would you prefer a new college or an old college with 1000 year old buildings with no electricity and outside toilets... well ok they're not that bad :lol:

That's very good and valid points. The tricky part is that I rarely know these kind of things until I'm faced with the situation. And I'd also have to take in mind that I might or might not have recovered from Anorexia, depending on how things go, which could cause complications. But I'm determined to make it work. Somehow. If you don't mind me asking, what did you study when you went to Oxford, and which college did you go to? I'm always interested in other people's choices. I do know that I would personally love to live in an older facility simply because, well, it would be very inspiring to my writing.

I think I'm going to spend this evening reading about Oxford. :study:

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2007, 4:17 pm

depth wrote:
This is what my sister (NT) keeps telling me as well. She's currently studying politics in Scotland, herself, because we've both always wanted to study abroad. She didn't get into the school she originally wanted to but is happy where she is, yet it's been Oxford on my part for years. The thought of going somewhere else sounds weird and not worth it. Basically, the only reason I haven't quit school up to this point is that I've been dreaming about Oxford. Pathetic, no?

It's not pathetic, I admire your determination and perseverance.

Keep in mind that if you are rejected, you can always simply take a year off after high-school instead of going straight to college and spend that time doing something interesting (it not only gives you a break and another chance to apply, but having some "real world" experience looks good to admissions people), or you could start college at another university, and transfer to Oxford after your first year. The latter is good option because many people drop out after their freshmen year (I don't know about England, but in the U.S. 47% of freshman don't return for their sophomore year, so you'll have a much better chance at getting in, plus it will be a shoe-in if you're already borderline).

Hope this helps. I know the rigors of the college application process oh-too-well. :)

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2007, 9:58 pm

I've got an application being considered at Oxford right now- I made an open app, as I could see no real reason to pick one college over another, and I think they sent mine to Queen's College. Oxford, from what I have read, is generally very accomodating towards students who may need any special help, though not so much so as Cambridge. Good luck in your application, but understand that regardless of how strong an applicant you are, you will most likely be rejected. Not saying this to be mean, but you need to find another school at which you would be happy because setting your heart so completely on one ridiculously selective university can often be setting yourself up for disappointment.

depth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2007, 12:54 pm

Phagocyte wrote:
It's not pathetic, I admire your determination and perseverance.

Keep in mind that if you are rejected, you can always simply take a year off after high-school instead of going straight to college and spend that time doing something interesting (it not only gives you a break and another chance to apply, but having some "real world" experience looks good to admissions people), or you could start college at another university, and transfer to Oxford after your first year. The latter is good option because many people drop out after their freshmen year (I don't know about England, but in the U.S. 47% of freshman don't return for their sophomore year, so you'll have a much better chance at getting in, plus it will be a shoe-in if you're already borderline).

Hope this helps. I know the rigors of the college application process oh-too-well. :)

Good points. I don't think I would start college at another university, however, because, well. If I don't get into Oxford I'm not planning to study anything, simply because I don't study for the sake of getting educated. It has to be... fun, you know? So if I don't get in the first year, I'll take a year to work on my written works. :mrgreen: And yes, your input has been very helpful. Thank you very much. :)

depth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2007, 1:11 pm

Orwell wrote:
I've got an application being considered at Oxford right now- I made an open app, as I could see no real reason to pick one college over another, and I think they sent mine to Queen's College. Oxford, from what I have read, is generally very accomodating towards students who may need any special help, though not so much so as Cambridge. Good luck in your application, but understand that regardless of how strong an applicant you are, you will most likely be rejected. Not saying this to be mean, but you need to find another school at which you would be happy because setting your heart so completely on one ridiculously selective university can often be setting yourself up for disappointment.

That's wonderful - I wish you luck. What do you want to study?
And yeah, I know. :oops: But I'm too stubborn, and, to be honest I don't want to go to college for the sake of getting more education. Frankly? I couldn't care less about getting a complete education. That makes me sound stupid, but I've been struggling with a lot, and I've been prepared for let-downs for years already. I wouldn't go anywhere else because I wouldn't see the reason to bother. If it's one thing I'm not going to waste my life on, it's sitting studying someplace where I don't feel like going. If I don't get in, okay. It was worth a shot. The dream will remain a dream.