Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ddrapayo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Feb 2008, 3:06 pm

Hi! I'm living in the Norhteast United States and am looking at the following colleges. Assuming I get into all of them (which I won't) which would be the best for someone with Asperger's?:
Central Connecticut State
University of Connecticut
Robert Morris University
lebanon vallley university
Bryant University

also if possible explain why and what exactly they do that is so good. Thanks!

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 3:39 pm

How much can you afford to spend for college? What is your intended major?

Look at colleges that have the best academic support for students that may require it...college is never easy for anyone.
Also, a smaller college if often better than a university that has thousands of students enrolled as well as graduate students on
campus...such enormous campuses can be very overwhelming.

From your avatar, are you a resident of New York State? New York State has excellent colleges under their State University System, like SUNY Geneseo...and easy on your wallet.

Good luck in whatever choice you make!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 3:52 pm

In my state, that school would probably be Texas State University, in San Marcos (just south of Austin).

Austin is the least conformity-obsessed of the major cities in Texas, but UT Austin is very crowded (it's literally the largest college in the nation--over 50,000 students), is very expensive even for in-state residents, and is very difficult to get into.

But Texas State didn't offer a geology major. So I chose Midwestern State University, in Wichita Falls (100 miles northwest of Dallas). WF is a good town if you're conservative. If you're liberal, you'll want to leave ASAP.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ddrapayo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Feb 2008, 4:27 pm

I intend to major in actuarial science. I am open to more than those schools as long as they are somewhere close to Poughkeepsie and offer a degree in actuarial science and preperation for the actuarial exams. To see which schools do this, go to http://www.actuary.com/actuarial-science-schools/

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 5:17 pm

I intend George Mason University in Fairfax, VA. I'm an Integrative Studies in Social Science for Education Major. Mason pretty known for its diversity among the students and recently in its 2006 Final Four Run in Men's Basketball. Mason is also located close to the nation's capital which helps students get internships in D.C. Mason is also where Alex Plank goes to as well which is a bonus to known someone who's famous and the creator of Wrong Planet. There are also different degree areas at Mason which makes unique being the youngest university in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

www.gmu.edu

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2008, 5:45 am

Study abroad :)

new zealand australia suss it out

scary yes

very scary yes...

lol.. but usually there a few americans who hang together at the halls and uni :)

life experience eh...

thats if you can afford it..

:D

Ariane321
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Feb 2008, 2:38 pm

On April 18th, the Yale Child Study Center to presenting on the topic of Asperger's Syndrome and the potential challenges of college. Thought this might be something of interest...

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2008, 9:56 pm

YEa cheers thanks eh...

I did a google

http://yalerei.org/chldstdy/autism/asd_ ... _flyer.pdf

for the flyer above

and more asperger conferences

here: http://www.med.yale.edu/chldstdy/autism ... ences.html

:D

anyone know of other conferences / meetings about aspergers... eg anual ones/one offs etc?