Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

26 Oct 2005, 11:38 pm

Anyone else feel this way? I can do base 8 and physics no problem, but math like coefficients and functions drive me mad! Finite math is terrible because I can't keep all the required calculator uses straight! :x

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2005, 11:50 pm

You can do base 8 "no problem"??? 8O
I suppose I'd be the opposite of you in this regard.

I'd really suggest getting a snack and trying to come back to the problem fresh if you have trouble. It sounds like you need to learn to focus on the subjects that are important to the class and that takes time and practice. It is worth the frustration when you suddenly find yourself getting consistent B+ and up grades in math. But I think learning to balance working hard at it but not so hard that you're just basically bashing your head against a wall and draining yourself out is the hardest part about math for aspies

If you're serious about knowing base-8 by heart then at least don't let anyone tell you you're stupid. holy cow....

((btw what level math are you in?))

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

27 Oct 2005, 12:00 am

Finite. I need it to take Statistics. I can do well in math when I am interested in the subject and I found base 8 fascinating. Finite just seems to abstract to me now. By the way, no problem means I can understand the concept and figure it out relatively easy. I taught it to myself after reading about it in a novel, oddly enough!

Last edited by Grievous on 27 Oct 2005, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2005, 12:04 am

Hrm, my college doesn't offer that, at least not under that title... the last two math courses I took were Ordinary Differential Equations and Multidimensional Calculus. (Basically Calc 3 and 4). Is that lower or higher than what you're taking?

Since then its all been either Engineering, Chem or Physics courses for me

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

27 Oct 2005, 12:09 am

Lower :oops: I just have trouble grasping the concepts because "Find out how many criminals were accused of both a felony and a misdemeanor is just dull! Subsets of universal sets just give me trouble too! Oddly this is the very first Math teacher I have ever had who thinks that I can easily get a B in the class 8O She is quirky and may be a possible aspie too.

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2005, 6:24 am

Pretty much all the maths lecturers I know are 'quirky' - I think it's a job requirement.

We call that 'concrete math' but it can seem very abstract - I tried relating it to sets that I could actually use, like integers and reals, which helped me at least.

UnconfirmedAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2005, 8:11 pm

Logarithms are evil. ABOLISH THEM!

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2005, 8:29 pm

UnconfirmedAspie wrote:
Logarithms are evil. ABOLISH THEM!

All you have to remember that a logarithm is an exponent and you'll be fine. :)

As for me and math, I haven't done math in ages. I'm still in school and will have to take calculus and statistics courses when I go off to college next year, but I've been enjoying a break from math and using my time to take advanced science classes instead. :D

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 10:21 am

I always liked numbers, their relationships, etc., so I was usually good in math. I never liked Calculus though, I always thought it was strange. Perhaps if I'd had a better teacher and more confidence in myself back in school, I might have done better with it.

I used to catch alot of hell growing up because I wasn't an avid reader like my sister. She could read all the time and was perfectly content doing that and hardly anything else. Although I did read, I wasn't as in to it as she was. I liked doing other things, building, creating, using imagination to create alternative worlds, universes, etc. My creations were more real than anything in books.

There were frequent remarks about how others were better than me just because they read more, there were frequent remarks about how if I don't read more my life will never be anything, and so on. Sometimes it was blatant, other times it was subtle. Even when I did read, I would get criticized for what I read. I like to read stuff like electronics books, computer books, auto mechanics books, the history of something, but rarely ever fiction. My sister read alot of fiction, so what I read wasn't good enough. Ironically, when I was tested in school, and my parents had me tested independently, I tested in reading several years ahead of my grade level. In fact in grade 8, I tested on college level for reading comprehension!

My experience with reading and my family has always been something I was afraid to talk about. Now I can talk about it online. I consider reading to be a skill one can't live without, but just because someone doesn't read a book a day or hasn't read Shakespeare or Mark Twain, doesn't put them down below anyone else.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Quintucket
Toucan
Toucan

09 Nov 2005, 7:50 pm

Some math I can do great on.
Everything up through basic algebra I was great on.
After that, it's varied.

I can not deal with i.

Currently, in PreCalc: Trig, I can grasp the concepts but constantly make stupid mistakes little mistakes that I see as soon as the teacher asks me why I did something.
Seems to be my problem in most math actually.

As for the base 8, I like base 12, never get a chance to use it though.
Base 2*5 is simply a terrible system to base things off of.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 8:22 pm

Imaginary numbers are so much fun! After all, we need them to solve the wavelength equation, which is the incarnation of evil to any chemistry student. :roll:

My main problem in math is that I would never do the problems the way the book said and would get marked off on tests because of this, even if I got the correct answer and my reasoning was perfectly logical. Must come from having AS...

Quintucket
Toucan
Toucan

09 Nov 2005, 8:49 pm

Arggh, the "show all the steps" issue that many teachers have.
I hate that.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 9:23 pm

Quintucket wrote:
Arggh, the "show all the steps" issue that many teachers have.
I hate that.

lol, I've always done everything in my head.

I failed Geometry twice, but could easily figure out college level Algebra. I couldn't memorize all the formulas and theories, they drove me insane. And...
I HATE PROOFS!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

HarryofSheringham
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Nov 2005, 4:57 pm

I hate maths at the moment. Im doing calculus at the moment which i can do easy enough on its own, but when it gets involved with simultaneous equations or anything else it all goes totally wrong and ends up completely wrong. Im getting really frustrated as my technique is generally correct but i either make stupid mistakes or i dont actually know what im supposed to be working out, and work out the wrong thing.

Quintucket
Toucan
Toucan

14 Nov 2005, 8:14 pm

Yeah, I used to skip large chunks of steps. Now I've gotten used to it, and I have a math teacher who doesn't mind if I skip large chunks of steps. If only I'd had her earlier. . .

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
I HATE PROOFS!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Glad I'm not the only one.
My father, (undiagnosed with AS, unwilling to admit it, thus severely impaired) absolutely loved them and couldn't understand why I hated them so much.

Of course, linguistic proofs are another thing entirely.
Odd, I suppose, that I hate math and love linguistics.

"The difference between genius and idiocy is that genius has limits." -Albert Einstein

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

16 Nov 2005, 2:48 pm

Proofs are pure evil!! !!