Possible strategy to infer bigotry within bigot's earshot

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2009, 1:57 am

Remember the Expository Writing tutor who kept jerking her head the other way every time I showed up?

I plan on striking up conversation with a friend nearby, close enough to be within that betrayer's earshot.

(Preparation: "Let's talk over there. It's not about you, but someone here."
"Okay fine."
"Here we are.")

Quote:
"If someone mistreats people with disorders - anyone in wheelchairs or who talks funny like deaf people, are they just as much bigots as those who mistreat racial minorities?"

"Yes, they are."

"Then it's also bigotry to mistreat students with disorders that make their social skills like a highschoolers'. Bill Gates and Edison had deficient social skills, but look where they went. If an employee mistreats a fellow worker, or ESPECIALLY a customer, for their disability, that's gotta be grounds for getting fired! No doubt, right?"

(Then we leave to talk elsewhere, myself satisfied that the betrayful Expos tutor overheard this.)

Can you extrapolate what the betrayer would think, and what she could possibly do about hearing this? I'm hoping it would make her shape up the way she acts towards me so I don't have this hostile body gesture problem from her anymore.

go_around
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2009, 2:40 am

Most body language is at least partially involuntary. Attacking someone in this manner, whether or not they are actually guilty of what you claim, is not going to make them stop having an involuntary negative reaction to you. In fact, if anything it's likely to make her reaction to your presence even more noticeable.

In short - she might feel slightly guilty about feeling this way, but she will still think you're a creepy freak for doing what you've done, and she'll still be afraid of you and want to stay as far away from you as possible.

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2009, 3:01 am

go_around wrote:
...but she will still think you're a creepy freak for doing what you've done, and she'll still be afraid of you and want to stay as far away from you as possible.

For making this inference? Well, apparently I have nothing more to lose with her. No one's told me a way to get her grudge resolved, so I thought why not make her think twice about what she does.

This being her workplace, those reactions she gives could possibly put her job in jeopardy, or at least get her a verbal reprimand from her boss.

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 6:42 am

probably won't affect this person much. how is he or she supposed to know you and your pal are discussing them?