Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 1:50 pm

How do you deal with teachers who just don't have their stuff together?

I've had one all year who makes constant typos on tests (then won't tell us which words are typoed, just that there are indeed typos... on a foreign language exam...), regularly posts homework assignments at midnight for a ten AM class, changed the syllabus, and basically has her head up her ass. I'm pretty sure I'll get a B+ at the lowest (still a bad grade, for me, considering the class) but what do you guys do with these kinds of people?

OccamsIndecision
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2008, 2:34 pm

I had a teacher who tried to convince her class that a number with an exponent of 1 meant you multiplied it by itself 1 time. An exponent of 2 meant you multiplied it by itself twice(like cubing it). We pointed out her mistake, but she got angry and insisted that since she was the teacher, she was right, and we all had to learn to do it her way. So everyone did but me. I got an f.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 3:39 pm

OccamsIndecision wrote:
I had a teacher who tried to convince her class that a number with an exponent of 1 meant you multiplied it by itself 1 time. An exponent of 2 meant you multiplied it by itself twice(like cubing it). We pointed out her mistake, but she got angry and insisted that since she was the teacher, she was right, and we all had to learn to do it her way. So everyone did but me. I got an f.

LOL that would make a great headline in a newspaper and that teacher fired.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 5:58 pm

My english teacher is like that. She's always making typo's on papers, and she never really communicates what she wants the class to do. It's frustrating for me.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 12:39 am

OccamsIndecision wrote:

Whuh... whoa. What grade was that?

I'd like to think this was maybe second grade and this was some little... aside and not an actual lesson on exponents.

Reminds me of my sixth grade teacher who insisted that the Pennsylvania Dutch were called Dutch because people thought they came from Denmark.

No matter how many times I told him that he was wrong.

OccamsIndecision
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Dec 2008, 4:05 pm

MizLiz wrote:
OccamsIndecision wrote:

I'd like to think this was maybe second grade and this was some little... aside and not an actual lesson on exponents.

Reminds me of my sixth grade teacher who insisted that the Pennsylvania Dutch were called Dutch because people thought they came from Denmark.

High School, I was a freshman.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 4:11 pm

There's no facepalm emoticon. So...
:?

Naturella
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Dec 2008, 4:19 pm

I once had a Calc II class where the exams were graded on the basis of multiple choice tear sheet. You submit this sheet and they do not care about the work you ve done. They collect your work only to take off points from you if you DO NOT provide work for the right answers you did (so it only worked against you).

so this teacher systematically forgot to put a correct answer to at least one of the questions (of the total 25). That was a disaster..... You spend half an hour figuring what is wrong with your calculations... you do some work and do not want to go on because you ve already invested some time.... and there proved to be simply no correct answer! That was a nightmare.
They would later just give everybody a credit for the questions with no correct answer, but it never occured to them to consider the time you lost because of that and that you might simply not have time to finish the whole test because of that.

Naturella
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Dec 2008, 4:23 pm

That same teacher had his classes planned very poorly. And he would present a new material just 15 minutes befor the exam. I told him: I need to know in advance what is going to be on the test and what you want to cover befor it. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND VERBAL INSTRUCTIONS. I have to READ THE TEXTBOOK in advance. He got offended. He got insulted. He told the whole class about this weakness of mine as a sort of revenge. He thought that what i meant was that he was a bad teacher and that he fails to state the material clearly enough.

Naturella
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Dec 2008, 4:28 pm

MizLiz wrote:
OccamsIndecision wrote:

Hah, that reminds me of a history 101 teacher who thought that there was a Plymoth company of London who send their travellers to America.... And he had no clue that Plymoth is a separate British city which is quite far from London, actually.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 10:58 pm

I once had a teacher who spent ten minutes looking for her keys, when they were around her neck the whole time. We told her about 50 times, and she still couldnt get the message.